PDA

View Full Version : Are matching jersey and bike brands a fashion faux pas?

Louis
08-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Switching to what is hopefully a less incendiary topic:

For my ride this past Saturday I happened to choose my Waterford jersey (because it was at the top of the pile in the drawer). The Waterford itself is decorating the basement, waiting patiently to be built-up. So here I am out on the road and a group of four riders pulls up behind me and the lead guy says “Is that a Waterford? Does your jersey match your bike?” in what could be interpreted as a negative tone. Since I happened to be riding a generic aluminum frame that never on it’s best day could be considered a Waterford I said “No way, that one’s at home.” That seemed to satisfy him, we joked about the tough hill we were climbing and they went on their way.

So here’s the question: In some circles is it some considered a no-no to have your jersey match your bike? What do you do if you only have one bike? Can’t wear the jersey at all?

Just wondering
Louis

darylb
08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I was going to wait to see what the cool kids said but what the heck. My wife searched for on her own, and found, as a complete surprise to me, a Sierra Nevada Jersey to match my new (to me) team bike. She looked everywhere and finally figured out that she had to go the brewery site to find it. One of my favorite birthday presents. She admits that she doesnt totally "get" this wierd cycling obsession thing, but she supports me anyway. As a side note, to make as many of you jealous as possible, when I spotted this frame on the internet, she looked over my shoulder and just said, "why dont you just get it?"

Needless to say, I wear it with pride.

Fixed
08-01-2005, 10:17 PM
you are a lucky man.Cheers :beer:

slowgoing
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Only if they're both Treks and yellow.

RichMc
08-02-2005, 01:18 AM
What about all the Harley riders that wear Harley t-shirts, jackets, belt buckles and some even drive Ford Harley pick-ups? You have a matching jersey and bike? Wear it and ride it! Who gives a ***t what some other riders might think? You can always find someone to rain on your parade. Hey, have fun with it!

Bill Bove
08-02-2005, 05:04 AM
A long time ago I showed up for a group ride with some team jersey on, i don't remember who's and this guy comments on it and said he'd never buy anything that he couldn't wear in a race. the joke was this guy never races, so what's his worry? another time i showed up for a ride with a girlfreind while on vacation, she liked to wear matching jereys when we rode together, some guy wearing a yankees's cap instead of a helmet, say's "who the f are you, mrs and mr lance armstrong?" I asked him if he was derek jeter. it was a long, hard ride with a lot of good riders, we both took pleasure in "beating" him. Guys have come into my shop and said they'd never wear a yellow jersey refering to a plain yellow one, not even a MJ replica, "you have to earn the color". I don't get it. wear what you like. be a man, wear pink if you want.

Andreu
08-02-2005, 05:13 AM
wear what what you like. And people who say you shouldn't wear yellow until you have earned it.....what's all that about? This is cycling fascism gone crazy!
A

cycleman_21
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
There's an old saying:::...

People who matter don't care
and people who care don't matter :beer:

Elefantino
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
be a man, wear pink if you want.

I dragged the all-pink Mercatone kit out for Father's Day, first time in two years.

Image is everything.

Too Tall
08-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Wear what the heck you like. I've only got a problem with folks who wear Championship Jerseys who did not actually win them...that's a little wierd. Otherwse it's all cool...Old Guys Who get fat, Rocky and Bullwinkle sure sure.

TimD
08-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Gita's got some black & red Pegoretti by Giordana socks, they match the "Capoccia" paint scheme on my Marcelo. I don't wear them while riding my Legend :)

TimD

Spectrum Bob
08-02-2005, 08:11 AM
I don’t like wearing a team jersey while the team exists. For example my wife and I were given Mapei kits by the president of Mapei. I did not start wearing mine until Mapei stopped sponsoring a team. I will admit that my favorite jerseys to wear besides my Spectrum jersey is my retro 7 11 and Motorola jerseys. I have a Postal jersey stashed away that I will probably start wearing next season.

champlemon
08-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Hmmm... Interesting subject... I've been riding long enough to know that many cyclists exhibit POSER characteristics. I have been guilty of that in the past. Now it is true that cycling as an equipment based sport is probably more given to these tendencies. I imagine that it would be more difficult for a soccer player or a marathoner to show off those new cleats or running shorts. But what really bundles my chamois is when people judge cyclists based on their equipment or clothing choices.

Now my family left Cuba in 1960 seeking freedom... and I was lucky enough to be born in this great country. But sometimes I feel that cycling instead of being a vehicle for freedom, can be a vehicle of control and elitism for some.

So what if if we decide to go out on a recumbent, a single speed, a mountain bike with knobbies or an old cruiser... We are cycling...

But here in Miami... the Yellow Jerseyed, Trek/Oakley/Nike equipped act like they are higher in the pecking order. Sad, but true... Lucky for me... I don't give a damn. I'm slow and I know it... I ride because I love to ride. It reminds me of when I was 11 and I used to ride in my single speed 20" up the Puertorican hills where I was raised.

Don't get me wrong... I love custom bikes (I use to own a custom Waterford), fast bikes (I also use to own a Litespeed), but please lets relax a bit... After all it is not us against them... It's ALL US!

toaster
08-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Personally, I try to avoid branding. I love my Serotta but I wouldn't put a Serotta decal on my car. I'd buy a Serotta jersey but probably not the matching shorts. I'd wear the Serotta stuff occasionally but not every time on the bike.

What looks bad, in my opinion, is the dude that pulls in up in the brand new raised up Chevy or Ford pickup with a huge CANNONDALE sticker on the window and then he and his friend unload their Cannondale road bikes and both are wearing head to toe Cannondale branded Saeco Team kits which they are seen wearing every week. I've seen this happen on my group ride!

That's excessive, I think. I find it cool that some people wear a variety of stuff with branding and don't worry about making some kind of statement, they just ride. Who wants to be seen as some kind of unpaid brainwashed, advertisement idiot?

dirtdigger88
08-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I guess I did this in a round about way- Last christmas mrs dirt got me a Kirk long sleeved shirt- so I had to get a bike to match my shirt :p

Jason

djg
08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
and I mean never, wear my Michael Owen shirt with my Brett Farv...Fav...Favre Green Bay Packers pants and my original black and red air Jordans while riding my blue Serotta. I just won't do it.

Not unless I can find a helmet that brings it all together.

But you can wear what you want.

OldDog
08-02-2005, 10:13 AM
We've got guys who show for a <bike club> ride in nothing but a helmet, gloves, shoes....and a speedo. :no: These are the same guys who like to pace line while on the tri bars. It's usally not long for these guys to go off the front, and the rest of us drop back and take the next turn...

champlemon
08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
We've got guys who show for a <bike club> ride in nothing but a helmet, gloves, shoes....and a speedo. :no: These are the same guys who like to pace line while on the tri bars. It's usally not long for these guys to go off the front, and the rest of us drop back and take the next turn...

Yeah but the problem you are talking about is not about fashion (even though I could do without the speedos on my face :rolleyes: ), but about common sense safety. I refuse to ride in a pace line with anybody that is riding in their tri-bars. That is a recipe for road rash.

Ginger
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I'll get event jerseys and shorts that match (and find socks that "go with") And I do have a Serotta Assos jersey...it's very nice. And I have a few Voler jerseys...but I don't do the "matching" thing too much. It can look good and pulled together, but I'm out to ride my bike, not pick up guys.

Fixed
08-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Those cute little triathletes they ride in a formation and never sprint.I like riding with them 2 times a week it makes me feel like the black lion king.Cheers

LOOK 381 Jaja
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I try to purchase team jerseys when they are on closeout such as the 2001 CSC jersey as I own a Look 381i and have the Sierra Nevada Serotta jersey from a couple of years ago with the Serotta down the side to ride with my Serotta CSi. I also own several wool retro jerseys and newer replica team jerseys that go with the my Merckx collection. (Faema,Molteni,7-11,and Motorola) Since I am Welsh, I own a Welsh Flag jersey from Fatka, and frankly have too much invested in jerseys. My only rule is to wear something that vaguely matches the color of the bike, or its spirit. I wear my Giro green mountain jersey with my Gios. My Schwinn icy hot jersey is a bit small but goes with my 85 Paramount. My Paramount was restored by Waterford so would I be okay with a waterford jersey on the paramount? I hope so. The most important thing to me is however comfort and on a hot day I just pick the lightest jersey.

champlemon
08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I'll get event jerseys and shorts that match (and find socks that "go with") And I do have a Serotta Assos jersey...it's very nice. And I have a few Voler jerseys...but I don't do the "matching" thing too much. It can look good and pulled together, but I'm out to ride my bike, not pick up guys.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not against this dress code or the other... or for this type of bike or another... just ride and let ride...

With very few exceptions... :rolleyes:

I do believe that fit women should always ride in tights... no baggy clothes allowed... Why hide the beauty that God made?

I'm even glad when I see a family riding together in their Huffys... that is until I see the kids riding without helmets OOPS!... then again... that is a discussion for another day.

I should probably consider hiding my big butt... luckily tights are black... eclipsing part of the view... and having a "slimming effect".

More later...

Too Tall
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Let me just say that the doctors have Champlemon on a slow thorazine drip and he/she/it is doing much better now.

champlemon
08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Let me just say that the doctors have Champlemon on a slow thorazine drip and he/she/it is doing much better now.

Is THAT what that stuff is? :confused: And I thought it was EPO! :)
You know... with this "Vody" [Arnold accent] of mine and some EPO... I could really do some damage!

And just for the record... :cool: Champlemon is a HE. My name is Francisco Rafael Gonzalez Ebra... My friends call me Panchi, but you can call me Frank! :D

My two brothers... also lurk here... but I won't say their names... they might not want to be identified with me... :no:

Bruce Jacobs
08-02-2005, 12:51 PM
who has no decals on his Legend and my wife has no decals on the Ottrot. She wears Pearl shorts and whatever shirt, "Biker Chick, "LBS", "Colnago","Ellsworth" but her favorite is a no name baggy-she does not like the tight fit and at 5'5" and 125# she can wear the tight shirts. I buy them for her and they wind up on ebay.

I wear Assos outfits because they fit me and keep my parts in place. I have an LBS shirt also. I do have a Campy shirt which I will not wear because the bike is Shimano. And a yellow jersey is out of the question. I would embarass it and me. But I would have no issues with just about any color but really like the Primal stuff for fall since they are long sleeve. R/W/B Nail Biter is my favorite.

BumbleBeeDave
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
. . . that I like to get together co-ordinated outfits. (Zebra stripes, anyone? ;) ) I couldn't really give a hoot whether anyone else likes them or not. I like them and I'm the one wearing them. I've gotten some ribbing for them, but I've gotten many more appreciative than negative comments. But even I think it's the hieight of anal cycling retentiveness to think you have to wear a coordinated outfit every time you go out. That's just over the top. Same with being worried about what someone else is wearing, much less actually saying something to them about it. Now if we're going on a group ride at dusk and they showed up in all black from head to toe and no light, then I'd probably break my own rule. But other than that, who gives a flying f*** at a rolling donut what they want to wear?

BBDave

Ginger
08-02-2005, 01:09 PM
You know...some people in lycra look like rolling doughnuts...

But that's ok. So do I.

champlemon: I'm not fond of baggy shorts on the bike. I've never had a pair that "work" right. May as well wear jeans.
The cycling skirt things are cute though, good for wandering down to the coffee shop, occasionally for the commute. I haven't found that I can wear them for much distance though.
:-)

champlemon
08-02-2005, 01:14 PM
You know...some people in lycra look like rolling doughnuts...

But that's ok. So do I.

champlemon: I'm not fond of baggy shorts on the bike. I've never had a pair that "work" right. May as well wear jeans.
The cycling skirt things are cute though, good for wandering down to the coffee shop, occasionally for the commute. I haven't found that I can wear them for much distance though.

Cycling skirt? Hmmm... Let me visualize that... Is that like me wearing a cape? Or more like me wearing boxer shorts with a chamois sewn in?

You mean like skorts, right? OK... I'l buy that... Skorts are nice...

About the doughnut shape... I'm probably more like the old Michelin Man... :(
Tall, handsome and slightly rotund... ;)

Bradford
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
The cycling skirt things are cute though, good for wandering down to the coffee shop, occasionally for the commute.

My wife likes her skorts. I think they look pretty good, none more than the special wedding skirt she had made for our tandem ride away from the Chapel. She had a regular dress bottom for the ceremony and reception, but changed into a short skirt (with silver shorts underneath) for our exit. Of all our wedding pictures, I like the one with her in the skirt and cycling shoes the best, it makes her look real sexy. :banana:

97CSI
08-02-2005, 01:51 PM
One thing is for sure: when I put on my Once or Mapei or Saturn jersey (I like to wear the skin of dead animals :D now I need a Postal jersey) no one mistakes my phyzeek as that of a high-end racer boy. Wear what you want. Its your money.

champlemon
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
My wife likes her skorts. I think they look pretty good, none more than the special wedding skirt she had made for our tandem ride away from the Chapel. She had a regular dress bottom for the ceremony and reception, but changed into a short skirt (with silver shorts underneath) for our exit. Of all our wedding pictures, I like the one with her in the skirt and cycling shoes the best, it makes her look real sexy. :banana:

[Chanting] PHOTO! PHOTO! PHOTO! :)

OldDog
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I wear 'em for sure. Not "team" tdf yellow jerseys, but a plain yellow jersey.

Be seen or be creamed.

Orange and white do well too.

FunkyPorcini
08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
"Are matching jersey and bike brands a fashion faux pas?"

Not unless you mean "The Guido" made by IROC Z.

Fixed
08-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Here is my fav. work kit Baggy mt. shorts or baggy paints cut off between knee and ankle mt. bike shoes cheap but with cleats(Shimano ) and best yet my new Sachs T shirt that THE MAN gave me. For group rides standard road kit (bibs)i like Giordana off e-bay I like sold colors. you guys would laugh at me coming down the street on a beat up 100.00 bike and a sachs t shirt.Hey but I know the good stuff that why I hang here.Cheers

Doc Austin
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
wear what what you like. And people who say you shouldn't wear yellow until you have earned it.....what's all that about? This is cycling fascism gone crazy!
A

My bike has the classic red/yellow fade, so what else would I wear? Since Pinellas county is #2 in the country for cyclists getting killed by motorists, I'de rather be seen, and seen alive, than be correct. I ride alot at night, and the yellow is much more visible than the red. Red is like a magnet for car bumpers, too.

Be seen or be creamed.

Exactly.

Besides, when people blow by the yellow jersy on the trail they think they have really done something, so it's always nice to make somebody's day.

Doc Austin
08-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Screw it. Next time I'm going out naked.

J.M. White
08-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I'd rather be seen, and seen alive, than be correct. I ride alot at night, and the yellow is much more visible than the red. Red is like a magnet for car bumpers, too.

Doc's right on. I wouldn't be caught dead in bright-colored street or work clothes -- black brown and muted colors work best. But on the bike, I'm a rolling neon sign--the classic crash test dummy jersey from Aussie, and white ones (including the old '02 Tour young riders' jersey, which allows me to pretend that I'm young and fast). And I bought my son a Saunier-Duval jersey - bright yellow and white - can't possibly miss it on the road -- and I'm considering one for myself. Have my eye on 7-11 and even the Norwegien champ jersey -- just because they're bright. Any other suggestions?

dave thompson
08-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I guess I did this in a round about way- Last christmas mrs dirt got me a Kirk long sleeved shirt- so I had to get a bike to match my shirt :p

Jason
The logical progression of things.

Dekonick
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I usually get whats on sale - I really dont care whats on my jersey as long as it does what it needs to - keep me cool or warm. The guys I ride with really dont care and aren't gonna pick on someone based on what they wear. Frankly - I don't care either.

What I do care about is how my clothes feel when I ride and how comfy my bike is.

I am a frightning sight - hairy legs, unmatched stuff, on a bike that is waaay too good for my abilities but one that I love (love all my bikes really - part of the family.)

heh - the funny part is my wife really doesn't get the cycling thing but if she had her way I would match when I go out! :D

hope to see yall matched or not on da road...

D