PDA

View Full Version : yet another reason...

thwart
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM
... to exercise.

If I can remember to do so... :rolleyes:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/how-exercise-benefits-the-brain/

So will students now try to dope with BDNF...?

oliver1850
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Perhaps the few who read the NYT, or took the time to click on the link will.

That a relatively simple experiment like this is newsworthy makes me think we have a long way to go before there is a full understanding of brain chemistry. Maybe in time we will come to understand, and accept, those who prefer (insert material here) frames with (insert component mfr. here).

illuminaught
12-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Mainstream news science is always crap.
Reporters can't hack it reading the real stuff so they stick to publications that don't make it into legitimate scientific press.

BDNF doesn't necessarily promote health... but it is involved in neuronal signalling and remodeling.

forrestw
12-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Mainstream news science is always crap.
Reporters can't hack it reading the real stuff so they stick to publications that don't make it into legitimate scientific press.

BDNF doesn't necessarily promote health... but it is involved in neuronal signalling and remodeling.
I'm not sure how you're getting there in this case, "Physiology and Behavior" is a peer reviewed journal and the reporter doesn't seem to have missed any salient points.

"These data indicate that both acute and chronic exercise improve medial temporal lobe function concomitant with increased concentrations of BDNF in the serum, suggesting a possible functional role for this neurotrophic factor in exercise-induced cognitive enhancement in humans."

I agree the press usually butchers technical content, NYT would be a notable exception.

LesMiner
12-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Given the highly technical and expert opinion, does this study debunk the old addage "Stupid Jock"?

Is there a business opportunity for someone to charge big bucks for special exercise sessions to improve a child's SAT or ACT score?

Could this study be used to increase the sales of that treadmill/work station for sedentary workers? You walk or jog while doing paperwork or computer work or talking over the phone for exercise. These workstations go for something over $4k.

From a more cynical point of view, could this be a conspiracy to get people to exercise more and thereby wear out their joints? Then create an increase in the need for knee and hip replacement surgery and devices.

I know this is a bit of stretch from the original post. I have been bombarded by so many politcal candidate newsbytes with "factually challenged" which in turn I hope I do not become "memory challenged".