PDA

View Full Version : rescuing an old leather saddle

efleigh
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
like the title says, the attempt will be at an ooold brooks oval logo narrow racing saddle. it is dirty looking and dry, and the rivets are covered with oxidation (green) i guess theyre copper... ive read before that if you condition and or seal old leather straight off the bat, youre ondemning it. what i recall reading was something about putting it in hot water or warm water, or maybe just water, to allow the pores to expand, then somehow cleaning the dirt out of the pores.

i need specifics on the cleaining. hot water? cold water? do i soak the whole saddle, rails and all? what do i clean it with so i dont obliterate the leather in the process, then, how do i dry it? it seems like air drying might do more damage once its been soaked in water. if anyone has a specific, successful process, or anyone here works with leather, please let me know what to do. then, for conditioning, they say you do NOT want to soften the leather. ok, so no neetsfoot oil. what do i condition with, and what do i seal with? thanks folks.

charliedid
12-01-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/maintenance+products/Maintenance+Kit/

I would ask Brooks.

Personally I would just give it a cleaning with a stiff bristle brush, a *slightly* damp cloth for a cleaning and make sure it is totally dry. Add a bit of Proofhide as per instructions.

Got any pics...you sure it is worth saving?

Good luck

efleigh
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
thanks for the suggestion. i sent them an email. still open to any opinions.

LouDeeter
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I would follow Brooks suggestions. Don't soak it. If anything, I'd clean it thoroughly with saddle soap, dry with a towel, then use a mink oil or other leather conditioner liberally on both sides, then wipe the excess off. I don't think this will be a good candidate for a daily rider.

Frankwurst
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd clean it with saddle soap and rub liberal amounts of Obenaufs leather conditioning into it, top and bottom. Work it in and keep the saddle warm and work some more in. I've seen dead cattle rubbed with Obenaufs grazing the next day. It's used by those that abuse their leather boots to no end. :beer:

rwsaunders
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Believe it or not, your local shoemaker might be of help as well.

Nelson99
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Id soak it, then wash it with saddle soap and let it dry for a few days. After that I'd spray the bottom with framesaver (lanolin) and put a couple of coats of good leather conditioner on top. Finally, I'd finish the top with bowling alley wax. This penetrates very well and provides a nice hard wax finish to the surface of the leather. I've done several saddles like this with good results.
:beer:

Louis
12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow, sounds like rescuing old Brooks saddles is almost as complicated as gluing tubulars.

pavel
12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
This is from the classic rendezvous group:

The first step is a careful cleaning of your saddle prior to any conditioner
application.
You don't want to drive dirt and salts into the leather fibers.
Brushes first then a lightly damp rag before
going after paint spatters and flooding out the surface salts.

LEXOL cleaner next.

Then the conditioner. sparingly--one to several light, rubbed-in
applications.
Allow plenty of time to dry. At least over 24 hours.

Then Proofide or one of a few other comparable soft wax products.
More firm rubbing. Another overnight drying.

I finish with a parade wax.
The carnuba seals out sweat to some degree
and reduces surface abrasion.

The hammock may be less taut at this point.
Tighten cautiously & little, if at all.
As it dries it will draw tighter a mite.
Then you can get a better final adjustment.

sinican
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Get all the dust off first, and I'd use a leather conditioner. Velo Orange sells one specifically for saddle, which i have had good experience with. Apply generously, then polish off the excess.