PDA

View Full Version : GPS Devices for auto

Ozz
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
My wife wants a GPS for her car...she does not like the built in Toyota GPS system....go figure.

Anyway, does anyone have favorites? Ease of use and lifetime maps are probably most important...anything else I should be considering?

Consumer Reports likes the Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT....looks to be about $400. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

rice rocket
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $100 nowadays. In the past two years, the portable GPS market has gone full mainstream, there's no reason to pay for a $400 unit anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003ZX8AZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322765664&sr=1-3

rnhood
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I've got the Nuvi 1300 and love it. About $100, pretty easy to operate and provides elevation data. Higher prices will get you more features (bluetooth, etc) but not necessarily a better navigating unit.

jlyon
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I just seconds ago bought a 5" Garmin for my wife on Amazon. They have all types but this had some great reviews. Less than $120 for 5" with lifetie maps and Traffic updates.

slowgoing
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
That 3400 series is pretty slick becase it looks like a smartphone and has a very nice LCD screen. But very expensive. Costco also carries it, I believe. There are less fancy looking good alternatives from Garmin. I just bought a 5 inch (which I highly recommend) 1450LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) for about $170. It is being replaced by a newer model with the same features and similar price. Much better than earlier models, shows you speed limit right next to your speed, also shows what lane you should be in (lane assist) through freeway intersections. Highly recommended.

bikerboy337
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I've had great luck with a few different Garmin Nuvi models... plus, I like to try and support a company that supports the sport I love... so +1 to Garmin...

AngryScientist
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
My wife wants a GPS for her car...she does not like the built in Toyota GPS system....go figure.

with all due respect Ozz, she should probably just take some time to learn to use the toyota system that's built into her car. in the end its probably a better, more intuitive and safer system to use than something stuck to the windscreen for $100. it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. what makes you think a stand alone system is going to be any better for her than the factory nav?

deechee
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
fyi the lifetime upgrade Garmins take forever to update (ie. an hour or so)

I think I have the 1450LMT or a similar model. My friends tell me its nice because it has traffic data. Btw, the speed limit, lane indicators aren't displayed in all cities. There's a lot less coverage in Canada. So if you think some of these features are magical, it could just be because of where you live.

I'm with AngryScientist, how bad could the toyota navi be? The only time I played with the navi was in a yaris in Japan and it was quite impressive although serious information overload. I wish they would bring these higher end models to North America - I would've paid extra for it.

soulspinner
12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I've had great luck with a few different Garmin Nuvi models... plus, I like to try and support a company that supports the sport I love... so +1 to Garmin...

+1my wifes nuvi has been great.

batman1425
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I bought my first Garmin in 2006 for over $1000. It was one of the first consumer models on the market with all the maps built in. It was also the size of a Nalgene 1L bottle and was so heavy it couldn't be window mounted. It was strongly recommended when I got it that I buy the extended warranty (from Best Buy). Typically I don't bother with those things, but the sales guy basically said, "I know these warrantees are money traps, but I guarantee you will need it. He was right, 1.5 yrs later it died, BB gave me latest top of the mark unit and warranty with the refund. That died this past summer, and got the now top of the line, and another warranty. We'll see how long this one goes...

The lower price units are great, and if I had to shell out more cash for one, instead of just getting replacements, I'd do that for sure. I will say, I love the bluetooth, voice recognition and the live traffic updates on the upper level model I have. I drive through Chicago often, and its great to have it automatically route me around the traffic as it develops. At the $100-150 price point, I'd just let it ride, but if you are even considering one of the high dollar units, GET A WARRANTY.

Ozz
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
with all due respect Ozz, she should probably just take some time to learn to use the toyota system that's built into her car.....what makes you think a stand alone system is going to be any better for her than the factory nav?
:cool: :rolleyes: :crap:

dave thompson
12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I've used Garmin GPS for years and love 'em all. I just bought a 2455LMT (lifetime map upates and lifetime traffic) for our new travel van.

I've found the Garmins easy to use, intuitive and easy to read. I don't mount mine on the windshield, rather I affixed a disc (supplied with unit) to my dash and stick the suction cup dealy on that. Makes the GPS easy to read, easy to reach when necessary and not interfering with the view of the road.

Ozz, you need to come over here for a good ride next Spring!

Ozz
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Ozz, you need to come over here for a good ride next Spring!
I do need to come over for a ride. I almost made it to a GU soccer alumni weekend back in September, but coaching obligations here kept me home. I really want to make it next year though....will let you know when I'm coming and we can get together for a ride.

roydyates
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
with all due respect Ozz, she should probably just take some time to learn to use the toyota system that's built into her car. in the end its probably a better, more intuitive and safer system to use than something stuck to the windscreen for $100. it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. what makes you think a stand alone system is going to be any better for her than the factory nav?

User interfaces are very personal. If you don't like the logic of a particular interface, taking time to learn it doesn't mean you're going to like it. In fact, if a car interface requires learning, it's probably less safe. The fact that the Garmin is cheap and standalone, doesn't make it inherently worse. Garmin may very well have more experience designing these interfaces than toyota since garmin might sell more GPS units than toyota. In any case, I've used the GPS in a 2 year old Prius and also a variety of garmin standalone units, and I prefer the garmin.

Ken Robb
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I bought a Marine system from The GPS Store in one of the Carolinas. They have a good on-line site but the salesman I got on the phone was very sharp and helpful plus their prices were very good too. Costco always has some for sale at good prices but you won't get much help/info from the staff. OTOH if you buy one there and don't like it you can return it easily.

I have an inexpensive Magellan from Costco in the car after 4 years with a Garmin. They both work fine and have lifetime updates.

AngryScientist
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
User interfaces are very personal. If you don't like the logic of a particular interface, taking time to learn it doesn't mean you're going to like it. In fact, if a car interface requires learning, it's probably less safe. The fact that the Garmin is cheap and standalone, doesn't make it inherently worse. Garmin may very well have more experience designing these interfaces than toyota since garmin might sell more GPS units than toyota. In any case, I've used the GPS in a 2 year old Prius and also a variety of garmin standalone units, and I prefer the garmin.

that's certainly a fair point, but doesnt a lot of the toyota's other critical systems use the touchscreen interface? in other words, if you need to learn to use the screen to operate the air conditioning, defroster and radio anyway, the navi might come naturally from there.

i'll also echo what the others have said tho, i have a portable garmin, and love it. have a tomtom in the wife's car, and it stinks compared to the garmin, IMO.

d.vader123
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $100 nowadays. In the past two years, the portable GPS market has gone full mainstream, there's no reason to pay for a $400 unit anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003ZX8AZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322765664&sr=1-3
This is true. $400 for a gps??? I can't believe garmin can sell one of those during a time when stand-alone gps systems are beginning to fade into oblivion.

djg21
12-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Anyway, does anyone have favorites? Ease of use and lifetime maps are probably most important...anything else I should be considering?

Consumer Reports likes the Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT....looks to be about $400. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

I have the Garmin 3790 (which seems to be last year's version of the 3490) in one of my cars. I find it much easier to use that the factory installed unit in my wife's Audi, and prefer it. I had it essntially hardwired into my vehicle, and the wiring is concealed behind the dash. The lifetime map updates are nice -- I have already updated twice.

Ralph
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm told there are only a couple companies in the world supplying map data to the various companies selling GPS units. So it mostly, IMHO, comes down to features, size of screen, is screen shaded, and how long since map and other date updated. Don't know why the factory unit, with an update, wouldn't be mostly superior to dash top mounted units.

BTW.....I use an older Model Garmin NUVI 750.....which I update every few months the non map data, and my unit doesn't have free map updates. So recently paid to update them. I mount mine on a Garmin bean bag mount. Works well, only problem is reading screen in day time with polarized sun glasses.

Cinci Jim
12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I jut ordered a Prius V thru work with the new Entune. I got a chance to play with it on a friends new Camry. Seems like a really cool package - I think systems like it will be game changes in the future - really easy interface between smartphone & car systems.

maxn
12-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I liked our Nuvi, but the map data Garmin used for Europe was terrible. The interface and routing were surprisingly good. We now have a Tomtom, which is an expensive POS: terrible touch screen, useless interface and crap routing.

bart998
12-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I've got the Nuvi 1300 and love it. About $100, pretty easy to operate and provides elevation data. Higher prices will get you more features (bluetooth, etc) but not necessarily a better navigating unit.

+1

deechee
12-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm told there are only a couple companies in the world supplying map data to the various companies selling GPS units.

Yup, Navteq (owned by Nokia) and TeleAtlas (TomTom).

rice rocket
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Nuvi-1450-LMT-GPS-Navigator/190607622166#ht_4525wt_1156