PDA

View Full Version : Carl Strong TI Cross

noonan1970
11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-STRONG-TITANIUM-CYCLOCROSS-BIKE-18-8lb-Hand-Made-Custom-Blend-Large-/170738251975?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item27c0caf8c7#ht_12228wt_1345

Came across this!!!

Ken Robb
11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
some odd geos.

binouye
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Carl Strong makes some fantastic bikes, and if the frame fit me I'd be very tempted. I have a road frame he built, and its got perfect Ti welds and great ride.

Fixed
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
some odd geos.
+1
cheers

staggerwing
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
What am I missing that makes the geometry so weird? Yeah, it is a little taller than it is long, which wasn't all that unusual in the 80's, when showing only a fistful of seatpost was the norm.

My typical ride is 56cm square, but on such a frame, I have 16cm of seatpost showing. Not too small as I only run a 110mm stem, and have a 6cm seat-to-bar drop.

On the posted rig, I would only have 12cm of seatpost, which seams perfectly reasonable. Before I strike up a conversation with the seller, am I missing something?

spacemen3
12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Very cool, and that geometry doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a cyclocross bike.

chismog
12-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I think you got it Stagger. Folks are saying this has weird geo because the ST is longer than the TT. An "average" person on a "typical" square road frame might ride a CX frame with the ST 1-2cm shorter to increase standover clearance and make it easer to mount/dismount. Thus a "stock" CX frame with a 57.8 ST would probably have a 58-59cm TT.

I would simply caution you that the standover on this frame may not work properly with CX racing where there would be a lot of mounts/dismounts. If you're just going to use it as a dirt road go-anywhere bike, the standover is much less of an issue.

I did not see a measurement, but the photos make it look like that frame has a fairly low BB. That would help with the standover at the expense of cornering clearance, and maybe help high speed stability as well. Makes me wonder if this is one of Strong's "Personal Blend" bikes and not a pure CX racer.

If you normally ride a frame with a average stem and a ton of seatpost, this may be a great fit for you. I think it's friggin' gorgeous and for the right rider I'll bet that is a fun bike to ride. Super high quality!

staggerwing
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I would simply caution you that the standover on this frame may not work properly with CX racing where there would be a lot of mounts/dismounts. If you're just going to use it as a dirt road go-anywhere bike, the standover is much less of an issue.

I'm not about to start racing cross, and if I did, would likely play with something a little more disposable than this.

I do want enough room to run 28's, possibly with fenders. Basically, more of an all around light touring bike, with ability to handle perhaps gravel paths and dirt roads.

chismog
12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
One more thing, Stagger. Since you usually run a 110 stem with a 56 TT, you're going to need something like a 120-130 on this. Not out of the realm, it won't look funny, but it will affect weight distribution and handling. Your body will adjust for it, I'm sure it will ride just fine, but it may not be "optimal" (whatever that is). Most likely it will get more stable with the longer stem and a bit more weight on the front wheel. These might be positives given your intended use for the bike?

binouye
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I can't tell from the photos of that frame, but my own custom blend Strong road frame does have a low BB, and I think Carl likes that on many frames. I adjusted to it quickly and like the stability it confers. Some people like low BBs from 'cross frames for the nice cornering, even though it adds to risk of clipping a pedal on the ground.

BryanE
12-02-2011, 08:01 PM
It's a Personal Blend.
I have one.
You can barely see the sticker at the top of the seat tube.
Which is the opposite of mine which is at the bottom of the seat tube.
Nice ride either way.
Mines steel and I love it.
Bryan