PDA

View Full Version : commuter motivation: do you love the bike(s)--or hate your car!?!

spiderman
11-30-2011, 08:21 PM
I had a patient get pretty frank with me today.
She's almost 80, has a really nice car
And has been praying for me in my recovery.
When she saw me commuting in the ice storm
A couple weeks ago she became concerned
And decided to confront me about whether
Or not I decided to drive a car I don't like
As an excuse to ride the bikes I love
Even if it jeopardizes my own health
And ability to care for my patients...
When I told her the honest truth about
The used (smoker's car) jeep liberty I bought
(To replace the suburban I had quit driving because
Of the fuel inefficiency when it
Was totalled this summer) that makes me sick every
Time I drive it...she made me promise to
Trade the car in
For not just something I liked
...But loved...as much as my llewellyn
Or uniscasi...
i think she's right...I commute, at least in part,
Because I hate my car!
Anyone else honestly in the same boat??
That...and I am addicted to riding...
(I have a feeling I am in pretty good company
On point #2)

markie
11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
I commute, because I like riding. I like the challenge of doing it all year round. The expressions on peoples faces when you roll by on a super cold and icy day are priceless.

AngryScientist
11-30-2011, 08:33 PM
i work too far from home for it to be practical to commute by bike often at all, i need to take the bike and train to do it, and it costs me three times as much than if i drive myself.

that said, i have a very comfortable car that i really like, and i really dont mind driving most of the time. when i do take the bike its a welcome refreshment from the fight of car traffic.

i'm committed to taking the bike more often moving forward, just for the excercise and fun of it.

spidey - you know as well as anyone, you shouldnt own any gear you dont really like, that includes espresso machines, fixed gear fun bikes, and yes, autos. find something that isnt a chore to drive, and offers some refinement and excitement, and drive when you have to.

you seem to like the simple things in life, maybe a stripped down, manual wrangler or something similar?

:beer:

thendenjeck
11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
both, sort of. i love riding my bike, almost any bike, and I really hate owning a car. any car. i hate the expense, the responsibility, the taxes, the insurance, and supporting the petroleum industry. plus, i love riding my bike. not being stuck in traffic, not waiting for public transport and then having to sit next to the drunk crazy guy on the bus or train, etc. etc. plus it helps me wake up and get amped for my day.

achurch
11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I love the ride. My commute is only about 7k, and I only go 2 - 4 days a week. Riding time is more predictable. With traffic driving can take anywhere from 15-45 minutes, plus finding parking. Biking is 20 minutes (15 if I am in a hurry, 25 if it is snowing). Driving I get there pissed off, riding I am always arrive in a good mood.

I am not sure if that means I hate the car or love the bike--probably a bit of both.

Fixed
11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
a little escape from the overly comfortable

cheers

EvanOT
11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I live 2 miles from work and parking in San Francisco is well....a challenge.
I sold my car almost a year ago and haven't looked back since.

rounder
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I have one of the worst commutes here at 75 miles each way. I like my A4 car and it gets about 30 mpg and is fun to drive. But it is bike horrible. I use a Saris trunk rack when transporting a bike, but there is nothing to cable to when the bike is on the rack. So, i just loop the cable around the frame and hope no one steals the bike.

don compton
11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I used to drive 35,000+ a year. Now, I can do most of my business at home( thank you, Steven Jobs). My car mileage has fallen to less than 10,000. And then, I discovered that it would cost no time to ride to some of the club ride starts. I know that this a little "OT". But, I think I am just showing that maybe I am a little enlightened by adding a few extra miles on my bikes.
Bottom line, at 60, I am enjoying riding my bike more than ever and maybe using a few less 55gal. barrels in the process. :beer:

schwa86
11-30-2011, 09:32 PM
My commute is about 6 miles each way. It is faster to cycle. I bike through Boston, so I arrive at work very, very alert. With two kids and long work hours, it has also become a reasonable multitasking way of getting some regular exercise.

I also save about $4000 a year in parking and gas, which serves as an absolutely perfect justification for buying whatever bicycle stuff I want ;))

tiretrax
11-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I used to ride to work when my children were on vacation. I drop them at school, then go to work. It's an hour of driving that I hate, and finding a parking space is usually a pain. Then, I get the occasional ticket. In March during spring break, I rode to work. I was informed by the building manager that I could no longer bring my bicycle into the building. So, I found a place where I can park free that's on the other side of downtown. That way, at least I won't get a ticket and can get some exercise.

The happiest commuting days were when I lived in D.C. and walked everywhere. Unfortunately, Dallas is a car dependent city. Although there is a growing rail system, there is little transit oriented growth and little appreciation for the conveniences that results from it.

roydyates
11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I bike through Boston, so I arrive at work very, very alert.
LOL :rolleyes:

doode
12-01-2011, 12:44 AM
i use to bike commute 5 days/week + weekend adventures. now my wife and i + 2 kids carpool to work/school which are 1 mile from each other. the 90min/day in the car is valuable time with the family but i hate it.
on the weekends you cant pay or bribe me to get in the car. 90% of the time the whole family is stuck on 2 wheels in a 5 mile radius.

maxn
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM
After years of a bridge commute in the bay area, my hate of the car commute is finally wearing off, despite my new car commute here in France being pretty mild. However, I do love riding my bike to and from work. I find that it provides a much needed "gap" between work and home in both directions. It's even better if I take the longer route next to the river which is car and diesel fume free. Even the worst day on my bike is better than the best bay area car commute day and I consider myself privileged and lucky to have the option to bike to/from work.

it also gives me the excuse to buy unreasonably powerful bike lights :)

biker72
12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
I ride most days simply because I like to ride. The weather in this part of Texas is generally pretty good. This year was the exception. Ice and snow on the ground in February for two weeks and record heat in the summer. Normally if it snows today, it's gone tomorrow.

I like my Honda CR-V too. I use it when I have to haul something heavy or bulky.

brockd15
12-01-2011, 06:47 AM
My commute is ~20 miles each way and I've done it by bike quite a few times, but I prefer driving in. The ride in is usually good but the ride back seems to take forever and the traffic is horrible. If I had a more out-of-the-way route it would make it easier. That said, I do like my truck.

William
12-01-2011, 07:02 AM
...to the extent that they're both tools I enjoy using.

I used to have a long commute that would be way to unsafe to try riding on the bike. This in a vehicle that most people would hate driving...but I enjoy quite a bit. Now that I'm out of work that question is moot.

I'm in the process of setting up a new business that is commutable by bike so I will be doing that a good portion of my time. Probably about 3/4 of my ride will be through a rural low traffic area, the remaining 1/4 the traffic is manageable.

William

Vinci
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I love my bikes and I love my car. It just so happens that riding to work is (generally) fun and lets me keep some miles off of my car. :)

I use a Saris trunk rack when transporting a bike, but there is nothing to cable to when the bike is on the rack. So, i just loop the cable around the frame and hope no one steals the bike.
I am in the same boat with my car. What I do is use a long cable and run it through the frame/wheels and then through the rear wheel on my car. You might be able to do the same or use the tow-hook welded to the chassis, if your A4 has one.

Lovetoclimb
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
both, sort of. i love riding my bike, almost any bike, and I really hate owning a car. any car. i hate the expense, the responsibility, the taxes, the insurance, and supporting the petroleum industry. plus, i love riding my bike. not being stuck in traffic, not waiting for public transport and then having to sit next to the drunk crazy guy on the bus or train, etc. etc. plus it helps me wake up and get amped for my day.

+1 on all of this but especially the bits about car ownership. Much less of a hassle having something I can quickly and easily repair. In the instances where it is beyond my mechanic skills (which are minimal) I have a back-up bike that is primed and ready. Hard to ducplicate with a car.

that said, I often carpool or borrow my girlfriend's car to go to races. Call me a hypocrite there, at least I fill up her gas tank each time.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2011, 07:42 AM
I had a patient get pretty frank with me today.
She's almost 80, has a really nice car
And has been praying for me in my recovery.
When she saw me commuting in the ice storm
A couple weeks ago she became concerned
And decided to confront me about whether
Or not I decided to drive a car I don't like
As an excuse to ride the bikes I love
Even if it jeopardizes my own health
And ability to care for my patients...
When I told her the honest truth about
The used (smoker's car) jeep liberty I bought
(To replace the suburban I had quit driving because
Of the fuel inefficiency when it
Was totalled this summer) that makes me sick every
Time I drive it...she made me promise to
Trade the car in
For not just something I liked
...But loved...as much as my llewellyn
Or uniscasi...
i think she's right...I commute, at least in part,
Because I hate my car!
Anyone else honestly in the same boat??
That...and I am addicted to riding...
(I have a feeling I am in pretty good company
On point #2)

I love to ride but I don't hate my car(2004 Ford Ranger little PU truck). Like the bike, the car is just a tool to use when it's too slick, icy, snowy to ride or when I need to get a big box to FedEx., like today(snow as well).

I am less emotional about my truck than bicycle but not that emotional about a bicycle. Not spiritual to me, either one of them. Just a tool. Bike is also the 'toy' on days off, truck is not.

Aaron O
12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
This is a really interesting question...and after really pondering it, I'm not sure how much of my motivation is coming from which area. I was in a fairly severe bus accident as a kid...a few people died. I got off pretty easy with a broken collarbone. Anyway, I've hated cars my entire life and still have nightmares about that incident. I didn't even get a license until I was 22...and it was because I didn't want one. After owning a car for several years, I learned to hate them more. I found out that I'll never be a great driver, they're expensive to maintain, they're a pain to park, you have to worry about them with theft and vandalism and the costs are insane.

I LOVE bikes and really enjoy my (too short) ride into work. I like shopping with my bike...I enjoy the looks I get when I haul an air conditioner with it. I love riding my triplet with the wife...I love fitness rides...I love riding with friends. Being able to yank the bike right into the house is a great advantage in the inner city and the costs...well, I MAKE MONEY with bikes! Or at least pay for my bikes with bikes. Well...I pay for most of them with bikes at any rate.

How much is my hatred of cars and how much is my love of bikes? Chicken and the egg...I just know I love cruising past traffic.

WeakRider
12-01-2011, 08:16 AM
I do like to ride, but my decision to commute to work via bicycle was mostly driven by my hatred of the NYC subway system.

drewski
12-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Without riding my life is quite mundane.
Taking care of kids, working in offices. Riding is meditative, cleansing,
calming. I have a thirst for adventure. It can also be very social and communal. Its just so much fun.

I have had rough few months. Illness in the family, lost my job at a bank.
If I was not riding and doing yoga I would be very miserable.
Even before this I was commuting year around.

As evolved as we are I think we are still rooted in the animal world.
Movement/exercise of any kind makes me feel more alive and sharp.
Speaking for myself: stop moving = feel dull/less alive.

When I see people in nursing homes, I wish we could put all sorts of
specially outfitted bikes to get people to move what ever joints or limbs that are not paralyzed.
I think their joy for life could be improved.

cp43
12-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I commute by bike because I like my car, and want to keep it for a few more years. It's a '92, so I figure, the less I drive it the longer it will last. With a 6 mile commute, it doesn't really get fully warmed up on the drive to work, so I figure it's happier only getting driven on the weekends.

I also hate driving in traffic, which I picked up growing up in the DC area. So, even though I don't hit any traffic on my way to work now, I prefer not to have to drive.

I like my bikes too, and I like having at least a minimum of 20 minutes each way to myself on the bike.

Chris

merlinmurph
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Yup, I should bike commute to work, since I'm an easy less-than-7 miles from work out here in the burbs. What's worse is that I usually ride at noon for ~1-2 hours, and even worse, end up riding fairly close to home on those rides. So yes, I definitely feel guilty when it comes to bike commuting.

But not that guilty. :) I don't have kids, so I don't have scheduling concerns during the day and can get a ride in anytime I wish. Some people commute because it's a convenient time to get their ride in, and it works out well for them. Do it when you can, that's great. The roads around here are very quiet at noon and you can get a very nice ride in. Plus, it's a great break from work. I get back and feel refreshed.

By no means do I hate my car, as it allows me to do the things I like to do. To go hiking, skiing, XC skiing, mt biking, kayaking, R/C gliding, even driving to a group ride, etc. and do them regularly involves a car, no two ways about it. It's a lifestyle choice.

When city folk say they hate cars in the city, I understand the pain and cost of owning a car in the city and understand why a lot of people don't want to bother. They hate cars because they're simply a PITA and expensive in the city - makes sense. That hate for cars can go overboard, though, when their hate means that cars are the scourge of the earth and anybody owning a car is evil. I hear this often in Boston. Again, it's a lifestyle choice. If the things you like to do are all contained within the confines of the city, that's fantastic, and there's little use for putting up with a car, especially with services like Zipcar around. But, if the things you like to do - i.e. the things that make life worth living - are only doable with a car, then, well, please understand this and don't hate me because my life choices don't jive with yours. Thanks.

Saying that, I really like hearing all the commuter stories. It's a great way to get to work, save money, and get to use your bike. Keep it up, guys.

Murph

oldpotatoe
12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I commute, because I like riding. I like the challenge of doing it all year round. The expressions on peoples faces when you roll by on a super cold and icy day are priceless.

Wonder what they are thinking?

I donno, if you have cheap, non bike transportation available on a really crappy, snowy, icy day, but you try to make a point by riding when it's like that, not sure anybody is going to say, "what a great idea", or "wish I had ridden", or "I feel guilty". Suffering on a bike on a really cold day, like today here, when most I see ride down the middle of the street, where it's fairly clear, and run the risk of falling in front of a car..not sure it's really 'worth' it. Not to this .6 offa century gent.

IMHO, of course.

Aaron O
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Yup, I should bike commute to work, since I'm an easy less-than-7 miles from work out here in the burbs. What's worse is that I usually ride at noon for ~1-2 hours, and even worse, end up riding fairly close to home on those rides. So yes, I definitely feel guilty when it comes to bike commuting.

But not that guilty. :) I don't have kids, so I don't have scheduling concerns during the day and can get a ride in anytime I wish. Some people commute because it's a convenient time to get their ride in, and it works out well for them. Do it when you can, that's great. The roads around here are very quiet at noon and you can get a very nice ride in. Plus, it's a great break from work. I get back and feel refreshed.

By no means do I hate my car, as it allows me to do the things I like to do. To go hiking, skiing, XC skiing, mt biking, kayaking, R/C gliding, even driving to a group ride, etc. and do them regularly involves a car, no two ways about it. It's a lifestyle choice.

When city folk say they hate cars in the city, I understand the pain and cost of owning a car in the city and understand why a lot of people don't want to bother. They hate cars because they're simply a PITA and expensive in the city - makes sense. That hate for cars can go overboard, though, when their hate means that cars are the scourge of the earth and anybody owning a car is evil. I hear this often in Boston. Again, it's a lifestyle choice. If the things you like to do are all contained within the confines of the city, that's fantastic, and there's little use for putting up with a car, especially with services like Zipcar around. But, if the things you like to do - i.e. the things that make life worth living - are only doable with a car, then, well, please understand this and don't hate me because my life choices don't jive with yours. Thanks.

Saying that, I really like hearing all the commuter stories. It's a great way to get to work, save money, and get to use your bike. Keep it up, guys.

Murph

I hope I didn't come across like one of the self righteous car-o-phobes...I just don't like them for me. They're definitely part of our national fabric as a whole and a neccassary component of life for most people. I've tried to set my life up to avoid relying on them (or public transit), but that's because I hate driving and am not good at it. If I were laid off...and found a job 15 miles away with no transit...I'd swallow my dislike and drive. If we had kids, I think we'd have to leave the city and would have to drive.

merlinmurph
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I hope I didn't come across like one of the self righteous car-o-phobes...I just don't like them for me.

Like I said, I understand why you think that way and respect it. It works for you and that's great. I admire simplicity and being car-less is a good step in that direction.

It's when people tell me how I should live my life when I have an issue. You didn't even begin to approach that line.
Murph

rounder
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I love my bikes and I love my car. It just so happens that riding to work is (generally) fun and lets me keep some miles off of my car. :)

I am in the same boat with my car. What I do is use a long cable and run it through the frame/wheels and then through the rear wheel on my car. You might be able to do the same or use the tow-hook welded to the chassis, if your A4 has one.

Thanks for the advice on cable routing, Vinci. My car does not have a tow-hook, but am thinking of adding one, either that or go with a trailer hitch setup.

benb
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I have an Acura RSX Type S which I really like.. (and it is great for trucking bikes around without a bike rack). I really love my Honda VFR too..

My commute is 52 miles round trip, there is no mass transit available. And I still cherish being able to bicycle to work.

It turns the workday into an adventure.. demolishes the monotony of droning up the highway in the car or on the motorcycle (flats potting $400 worth of tires on the motorcycle), and feels like "free" heavy duty training hours.

I don't get to do it that much. I have to leave clothes and toiletries at work, no way I am carrying them 50+ miles round trip, and it turns an 8 hour work day into an 11 hour day, meaning I need lights for a decent portion of the year. Usually I am lucky to do it once a week during the better weather portions of the year. I might be fit enough to do it every day, I think I did it 2x per week a few weeks this summer, but I am nowhere near organized enough to do so, and it also means next to no free time for anything else but bicycling and near no ability to take care of errands on a day I bike commute..

But I love doing it. I don't think of it as hating my car.. I like my choice of car. I just can't get passionate about mindless commuting every day.

Fixed
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Without riding my life is quite mundane.
Taking care of kids, working in offices. Riding is meditative, cleansing,
calming. I have a thirst for adventure. It can also be very social and communal. Its just so much fun.

I have had rough few months. Illness in the family, lost my job at a bank.
If I was not riding and doing yoga I would be very miserable.
Even before this I was commuting year around.

As evolved as we are I think we are still rooted in the animal world.
Movement/exercise of any kind makes me feel more alive and sharp.
Speaking for myself: stop moving = feel dull/less alive.

When I see people in nursing homes, I wish we could put all sorts of
specially outfitted bikes to get people to move what ever joints or limbs that are not paralyzed.
I think their joy for life could be improved.
good idea with the older folks
nice post
cheers

gasman
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I commute by bike because:
1. I like to ride
2. It saves gas and wear on the car.
3. I get at least a little exercise daily which helps my mental health.
4. I can easily take the long way home to get a time efficent workout.
5. Eugene is a great town for commuting by bike. Lots of paths and drivers are by and large respectful.
6. I don't ride on ice and snow but both are rare here.

I do drive when I'm on call but would still rather ride.

Spidey- get yourself a car you don't hate. There are lots of good used cars out there that don't smell of cigarettes.

maxn
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't hate my car either -- actually I think it's pretty cool, and one of those cars that will never be available stateside (for better or worse): it's a euro spec Civic with the 2.2 CTDi diesel motor and has tons of torque for its weight. It's pretty fun in the mountains on those rare occasions when I'm not carting kids around. For the commute though? I prefer the bike as long as it isn't snowy or icy.

Anyway, this thread inspired me to take a few minutes to take photos for panoramas this AM:

bridge over my car commute, on the bike path:
http://maxnanao.com/commute1212011/content/images/large/commute1.jpg
and the bike path
http://maxnanao.com/commute1212011/content/images/large/commute2.jpg
photo merge seems to have mangled those power lines!

Mr Cabletwitch
12-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I hate my car :crap:

redir
12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure if I had an ex-smokers car I'd not want to drive it either. Having said that I like my old Mercedes but the gas mileage leaves much to be desired. I try to only drive to bike races and visit family and always try to travel with at least 3 or 4 people to races. My commute is only 5 miles each way and it's just right to get me stretched out and woken up for the day every morning. At night sometimes I choose to take the long way home.

bfd
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I commute for the simple reason of exercise and fitness. I want to get in more miles. As a single parent, finding time to ride is hard. However, I live on a hill so although my commute is only 10 miles rt, I do have to climb a bit to get home and that gives a little bit of fitness (which is better than nothing).

Btw, I live in SF, so climbing is a way of life, but I love it. I also drive an old BMW, so I like driving too. However, we have way too many do-gooders/progressive types that make up the "SF Bicycle Coalition" that are anti-car and want everybody to stop driving and ride a bike.

Of course, these nutjobs don't realize they are also being anti-family. Most of the SFBC members must be in the 20s and 30s and probably aren't married or don't have kids. They don't seem to realize that its not that easy to get kids and elderly parents around town. Yes, we all would like everyone to jump on a bike and ride to their destination. However, when I have to transport both of my girls and my 80 year old mother, a car is way easier.

Further, the SFBC is also anti-green as they think that by making it more difficult for cars to drive around the city or park, that people will get out of them and ride a bike or take the bus. However, all it really does is make cars idle longer and ends up causing MORE pollution.
:crap: :no: :confused: :butt:

OK, I'm off my high horse....Good Luck!

spiderman
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
maybe i'll get used to the smoker smell
(i'd settle for not vomiting after my 2 mile ride to work)
or really air it out when i put the top down
after a round of cross country skiing!
the entire roof retracts
so the avalanche
from the first snowfall
should be very cleansing!

cp43
12-01-2011, 04:59 PM
maybe i'll get used to the smoker smell
(i'd settle for not vomiting after my 2 mile ride to work)
or really air it out when i put the top down
after a round of cross country skiing!
the entire roof retracts
so the avalanche
from the first snowfall
should be very cleansing!

My parents bought a pickup that had been driven by a smoker. The smell was pretty bad. One option, that my dad elected to take, was to get a very powerful car freshener and leave it in the truck. To my nose, it was worse than the smoke smell, but it did mask it. After a while both smells were gone. If you like the car but not the smell, hang on to it. If you don't like the car or the smell, I'm with the others who suggested that you get one you like.

Chris

spiderman
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
...that's when the feeling turned to hate for me...

oldpotatoe
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
...that's when the feeling turned to hate for me...

I have an idea, buy a used car that wasn't a smoker's car. Geeez Louisse, if it makes you puke, get rid of it. Ain't the car but the pitiful smoker.

rain dogs
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Hate the car. Hate the pollution. Hate the lack of excercise. Hate the gas, brake, gas, brake, gas, brake.

I joined a car co-op which I use about 6-12 times a year.

I've never been happier, even when I road 20kms daily each way in the brutal rain or blistering heat. Nothing is as bad as being trapped in the car, sitting in traffic.

11 years going strong. It's also convenient that I love the bike, so both!

rain dogs
12-01-2011, 06:53 PM
...oops

rounder
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I have an idea, buy a used car that wasn't a smoker's car. Geeez Louisse, if it makes you puke, get rid of it. Ain't the car but the pitiful smoker.

spiderman, my vote would be to get rid of the car and get something else for peace of mind. (Click & Clack would probably recommend something else just to keep the car rolling.)

markie
12-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Wonder what they are thinking?

run the risk of falling in front of a car..not sure it's really 'worth' it. Not to this .6 offa century gent.

IMHO, of course.

I use studded tires so I don't fall in front of cars. One time I did take the car I ended getting stuck on a snow drift. I wished I had the bike then.

I love the challenge of riding on the really cold days. Trying to push my limits of what is doable for me. My colleagues at my old job told me I would not be able to commute in Winter and I think that really stoked my fire. I think the coldest I did was -20F. Which probably is not even that cold for some people.

But, as they say, YMMV. :)

spiderman
12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
spiderman, my vote would be to get rid of the car and get something else for peace of mind. (Click & Clack would probably recommend something else just to keep the car rolling.)

To replace my totalled suburban
(Fortunately my daughter walked away
From the accident uninjured)
To get back to the office early in my recovery...
...And stupidly thought how bad can it be...
I can deal with anything after having
10 inches of colon removed and a colostomy
For two months...
Now I know--it's pretty bad.
Buying a vehicle in the first place, though
Is not something I am looking forward to experiencing again
Anytime soon.
...But as you say...peace of mind...
I am looking forward to putting this behind me
Almost as much as my recent surgeries!

rounder
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
To replace my totalled suburban
(Fortunately my daughter walked away
From the accident uninjured)
To get back to the office early in my recovery...
...And stupidly thought how bad can it be...
I can deal with anything after having
10 inches of colon removed and a colostomy
For two months...
Now I know--it's pretty bad.
Buying a vehicle in the first place, though
Is not something I am looking forward to experiencing again
Anytime soon.
...But as you say...peace of mind...
I am looking forward to putting this behind me
Almost as much as my recent surgeries!

Good luck man!

Fixed
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
burn incense
http://www.incensewarehouse.com/
cheers

56mtorres
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
i commute mon-thurs. 18 mi round trip each day. drive fri. group ride on saturdays. been doin this for about the past 5 yrs. and love it.
good for the enviroment, wallet and health. cant beat it.
did i mention.....i drive a f250 4x4 diesel. ouch!

yummygooey
12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I ride my bike around campus and run errands with it. I typically ride all year round, but since I moved to an apartment right near most of my classes I will walk when it rains.

I usually only use a car (my roommate's) when I go grocery shopping (though I used to do this by bike, but now I shop with more people so we just take a car), I have to move a large load, or I'm in a time crunch.

cromo900
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I commute for most all the reasons already listed... and then there's things like this, while waiting at a red light:

Guy at corner: do you have a special diet for your circulation?
Me: huh?
Guy: like whole grains or raw onions to keep warm while you're cycling?
Me: oh, no, maybe some extra layers of clothes.
Guy: you must get a lot of sex.

Then the light turns green and you get to ride off chuckling.

You don't get that in a car.

Fixed
12-07-2011, 10:44 AM
like then came bronson
check it out
cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIOH8bCfk

Kontact
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I love my car. So I try not to drive it too much.

Fixed
12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I love my car. So I try not to drive it too much.
cool post
cheers :beer:

snah
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Been meaning to add to this post for a week or so. Motivation to commute, get to see life in slow mo, compared to a car at least. Case in point, couple weeks back, traveling down the local MUT, found $5. 5 miles farther down the MUT, on a rather lightly used section, found a couple having sex on a park bench. Now, you just don't see that driving your car. :)

spiderman
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
...my daughter's car has been in the shop for three weeks.
consequently, she has inherited my car.
i put a bar of organic soap on the dash
and she has spruced it up...
this past weekend i took the plunge on a new vehicle.
it's so nice
i look forward to driving it...but also feel like leaving it
parked in the garage it's so nice...
...yet this morning i rode the speedvagen to work.
we'll see how this works
but i am going to try to set a goal for driving at least as many miles
as i bike each week!
how's that for being upside down??

cp43
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
What did you end up getting?

spiderman
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
What did you end up getting?

but read some reviews on the range rover evoque
and within an hour of stopping by the dealership
the only four door in a five state radius showed up
and got a deal i couldn't refuse--same price as
the jeep grand cherokee i was looking at
that needed some work 'under warranty' back home...

ericspin
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow, pretty cool vehicle. I believe that I saw the Evoque won the truck of the year award. Nice wheels.

spiderman
01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
There's some great video out there
On testing in winter and off-road situations.
So far 30 mpg on the hiway...
...Not dissimilar to the feeling of the jag
I had a chance to check out as I was getting
My deal done.
Pretty positive experience

cp43
01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Very nice wheels. Enjoy it, but don't stop riding ;)

:beer:

Chris

xjoex
01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Right on... I have never been anti car. I love my car. I commute by bike as much as I drive. Sometimes, I throw my bike on the roof and take it mountain biking. I love riding, but after being car free for a few years I can't go back.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HYZRxAOAx8A/TwxmNBnzKGI/AAAAAAAAExs/2VySS9d2iB0/s912/IMG_4033.jpg

Nice job with the Evoque.

-Joe

spiderman
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Right on... I have never been anti car. I love my car. I commute by bike as much as I drive. Sometimes, I throw my bike on the roof and take it mountain biking. I love riding, but after being car free for a few years I can't go back.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HYZRxAOAx8A/TwxmNBnzKGI/AAAAAAAAExs/2VySS9d2iB0/s912/IMG_4033.jpg

Nice job with the Evoque.

-Joe

my wife had a mini for a couple years that i loved to drive...
...i toyed with the idea of an all4 countryman
but the evoque had too much going for it
almost gives the idea of being a mini on steroids!
my wife is even going to splurge for a paint job on the roof
to make it look like a mini...
there's even talk of a speedvagen pinstripe!