PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver riding/racing scene?????

45K10
11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Looks like my wife is going to be taking a position at UBC in Vancouver. We are just wondering what the riding is like in Vancouver. Is it easy to get out of town and do some road rides? What is the racing like in Vancouver? I would imagine the cross and mountain races are awesome but what is the road racing like? Who sanctions the races in Canada, a la USA cycling?

Thanks for the help

vjp
11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
There is lots of road riding/racing (including a Tues Night Worlds at UBC) from spring to fall. Lots of clubs/teams, bike lanes and we have an indoor Velodrome with racing every Fri. night in the winter.

Sanctioned by the UCI, but there is some sort of reciprocal deal with the USA, don't know if that counts if you live here and are not up here on a "lost weekend".

I don't imbibe, but bring your bong and your rubber boots. Oh, and everyone has a winter bike, no fenders, no group ride.

d_douglas
11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh, and everyone has a winter bike, no fenders, no group ride.

This is so true and I love it. I've been away from Vancouver for 5 years now and so cannot comment on the race scene other than there is one (that I was never part of).

Year round riding, as long as you can handle getting wet, and a pretty nice crowd of folks, at least when I was there.

I went to UBC myself - what Faculty will she be teaching in?

Cheers,

Darren

bironi
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Great cycling city. :beer:

45K10
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
This is so true and I love it. I've been away from Vancouver for 5 years now and so cannot comment on the race scene other than there is one (that I was never part of).

Year round riding, as long as you can handle getting wet, and a pretty nice crowd of folks, at least when I was there.

I went to UBC myself - what Faculty will she be teaching in?

Cheers,

Darren

Darren thanks for your input. We are looking forward to moving up there. My wife is taking a post-Doc in the Zoology dept. It is going to be a big change in weather from Tallahassee but I am looking forward to it.

Thanks to VJP and Bironi too. I am stoked that there is a velodrome. I have always wanted to try track.
Take it Easy