PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Carrera "jeans" shorts?

zeroking17
08-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Remember when the Carrera team during Chiappucci's years wore those faux jeans shorts? You know, the ones that looked like denim, including the stitching.

Has anyone got a photo that shows those fine shorts? I'm trying to convince someone that a pro team actually wore such an outfit. Thank you.

csb
08-01-2005, 10:07 AM
http://www.rsc1.tmfweb.nl/FOTOracebody.htm

scroll down to pantani standing. not great but still...

dirtdigger88
08-01-2005, 10:07 AM
these?

Jason

dbrk
08-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Thank the gods I will be cremated because to be even seen dead in these would be, well, an offense I could not inflict even upon my enemies (and even when dead). I remember them all too well. BTW, there are two Carrera branded bicycles, the first from Podium, SLR in Brescia, these being the ones the pros rode and that most people recognize as Carreras (imported to the US by Red Rose) and the other from England (via the Far East, I'm sure) that have nothing to do with the former.

I suppose these served their purpose in a "pro sense" since they drew attention to the product and that, after all, is the point of wearing billboards.

dbrk

zeroking17
08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Thank the gods I will be cremated because to be even seen dead in these would be, well, an offense I could not inflict even upon my enemies (and even when dead). I remember them all too well. dbrk

I usually don't answer my own questions, but some frightening visual evidence that supports dbrk's mordant critique of the Carrera dandies has just come into my possession. You be the judge:

Kevan
08-01-2005, 12:27 PM
any of you got an official Duke of Hazzards movie jersey? Come on, it has to be orange, your favorite color... now fess up!

dirtdigger88
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
no jersey but I am digging that simpson girls video- she can wash my car anyday she would like :cool:

Jason

scrooge
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I was trying to describe these shorts a while back on the thread about worst cycling fashion blunders ever. These be the ones! (At least I think they're a much worse offense than black socks (which I will wear :D ))

So, who here would be self confident enough to wear these?

BumbleBeeDave
08-01-2005, 01:15 PM
. . . with zebra stripes? :rolleyes:

Maybe if I could get matching jersey, gloves, socks, and do-rag . . . :eek:

BBDave

PeterW
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
I rarely disagree with dbrk (I actually copied his Legnano-style Mariposa bolt for bolt when I got mine last year). But Carrera's lycra denim was the BEST! So Italian, so 80s, so over-the-top. I met Chiappucci (who was in full denim kit) after the TT stage of the Tour of Romandie in 1991 (or thereabouts).

I rate Carrera's choice of denim shorts for pro-team kit as one of cycling's great moments.

Hey, Molteni wool jerseys aer retro-cool now. But in a few years, we'll all be buying repro Carrera shorts. I want mine now!

alembical
08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
So, who here would be self confident enough to wear these?

I would be confident enough to......but they make my butt look big :p

Alembical

yim
08-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I am not sure that the pockets are real and they are not just printed.

Is it right?

BBB
08-01-2005, 08:14 PM
From memory, the pockets on the rear of the shorts the Carrera team wore in or about '91 were real.

fiamme red
08-01-2005, 09:24 PM
I rarely disagree with dbrk (I actually copied his Legnano-style Mariposa bolt for bolt when I got mine last year). But Carrera's lycra denim was the BEST! So Italian, so 80s, so over-the-top. I met Chiappucci (who was in full denim kit) after the TT stage of the Tour of Romandie in 1991 (or thereabouts).

I rate Carrera's choice of denim shorts for pro-team kit as one of cycling's great moments.

Hey, Molteni wool jerseys aer retro-cool now. But in a few years, we'll all be buying repro Carrera shorts. I want mine now!Where can I get a Castorama jersey?

csb
08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/kelly/images/image12.jpg

och, och

hybridbellbaske
08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah- the Castorama team outfit- like a handyman's overalls--- Cool, or maybe not.

Bittersweet
08-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I own a Carrera jeans team winter cycling jacket. Soft-fleece like lining with wind stop in the front. Printed jean jacket look all over.

Wedding present from a very knowledgeable friend. This team kit is the epitomy of the late 80's early 90's fashion sense. Garish? Certainly. Italian style? Definitely. Funny? You bet.

By far the most coveted item in my collection of cycling clothing, which began in earnest in 1981.

csb
08-14-2005, 05:36 PM
on this mornings ride through nyack what did i spy but a very 'stocky'
middle ager wearing THE 'denim' shorts. holy crap. never seen 'em in (on)
person before + hope it's my last. holy crap.