PDA

View Full Version : Any Cross Country skiers... On the Forum?

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 06:35 AM
This has cycling content as I'm looking to find an XC package for when the weather turns snotty in the Northeast. I know it's been uber warm lately but I want to be prepared for the inevitable freeze. I hate training on rollers and despise the trainer so much I usually just fender up and get on with my work in the slop. But there are still some days and weeks that the roads stay frozen over and unridable around here. Xc skiing is something I've always wanted to get into and a few of my teamates race but they live sorta far away and getting info from them is like talking to my dogs sometimes. So any feedback/tips would be awesome...thnx in advance :beer:

The little I've been told so far;
-Get waxless ski's
-Cost for a decent set up can be around $300 ???
-Called "touring ski's" now?
-Watch out for ski shop's with no clue

Anyhoo...I'm 5'11" 170-175lbs pretty fit build size 43/10 foot. I tend to go overboard with things so would need something I can progress with. What should I be on the look out for?

Anyone?

singlecross
11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
It really depends on where you plan to ski. Is there a place nearby where they pack and groom trails or are you just heading out the back door when there is snow on the ground? The range of XC ski equipment runs the gamut from a steel hardtail MTB to a carbon road bike to use a cycling analogy. We'll need more info on where and how you plan to ski to make any meaningful recommendations.

singlecross

Karin Kirk
11-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a great endeavor!

Depending on where you plan to ski, and your affinity for learning new techniques, there are 4 options:

- Basic xc package of no-wax, fishscale skis. These will work anywhere, such as in your backyard, on the golf course or on groomed classic tracks. Pluses are that the gear is cheap and the technique is more or less the same as walking. :) Of course you can take it up an notch and get a decent workout.

- Performance-oriented classic skis, which are usually waxable and require the right wax for each day. If you enjoy tinkering with things and seeking harmony with your gear, you may enjoy the pursuit of waxing zen. When it's right, you can haul ass with good wax. When it's wrong, you will get passed by grandmothers.

- "Backcountry" skis, which are like #1 but are wider with metal edges. These skis are good for exploring trails at a state park but are usually not at all intended for mountainous backcountry. The edges are good for snowplowing but the setup is still pretty darned hard to make turns on.

- Skate gear. Here the limitation is that you need a trail groomed specifically for skating, or you can often ski on frozen lakes that have a thin snow covering. Skate technique is challenging and fun to learn. It is a guaranteed excellent workout, no matter what your skill level.

The rub is that almost none of the gear can cross over from one mode to the next. There are several different boot/binding systems so you can't mix and match. Skate skis, boots and poles can't be used for classic. And performance classic gear is very light, the boots are thoroughly non-supportive, and it will not be fun in places like an ungroomed state park. So you kind of have to think about your projected use before you go down the path.

Another thought is to take a lesson first, assuming you have a nordic ski center nearby. That way you can try out skate vs classic. In fact, no matter what you do, I'd still recommend taking a lesson so that you can learn some good technique right from the start.

Have fun!

4Rings6Stars
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I xc ski but very recreationally and use archaic equipment so probably can't offer good advise other than to say go or it, it's a blast! You have to be prepared to move slowly though, it always takes me a litle while to get used to that after transitioning from bikes to skis. However, I ski more just to be in the woods than for exercise so I don't mind taking in the scenery.

redir
11-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I have an archaic set of back country skis that I like to use when I get the chance. I can offer no help except to say that yes I do like cross country skiing. Weather permitting here in the mountains of Virginia, if it snows, I go. It's very peaceful to be out in the woods by yourself on a day most people would rather stay inside.

CNY rider
11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
The real lightweight, long narrow skis are only good for well groomed trails. And as Karin said above they are generally mated to very flexible boots which mean you will have no leverage to turn or stop.
I live in upstate NY, ski at least 2-3 days each week during a good winter, on ungroomed, hilly trails. My preferred set-up is a fairly stiff leather boot, 3 pin binding and a stiff ski with a metal edge. That's going to run you more than $300 but has much more potential for long term enjoyment than the entry level stuff.

AngryScientist
11-29-2011, 09:41 AM
i know nothing of xc skiing, but will offer that my office mate bought some military surplus xc typed skis, boots and bindings dirt cheap of the web. he is a pretty fit guy and says he thoroughly enjoys using them, and they have served him very well for the last few years around the local parks when we get snow here.

just some additional info.

skijoring
11-29-2011, 09:51 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html

This is a great resource if you decide to go the backcountry route.

I will say that most cyclists who ride fast tend to gravitate toward skating...but classic technique is much more challenging to learn.

christian
11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
- "Backcountry" skis, which are like #1 but are wider with metal edges. These skis are good for exploring trails at a state park but are usually not at all intended for mountainous backcountry. The edges are good for snowplowing but the setup is still pretty darned hard to make turns on.
Karin - I think you're selling the old stuff short. I can make beautiful curving telemark turns with my 205cm Karhu XCD GTs (original ones) with three-pin Rottefellas and Asolo Extreme leather boots. Ok, no, no I can't. But it's fun to flail about and try. It is good stuff for bashing about in sloping woods though. Also a good setup for winter camping with a pulk or pack.

Karin Kirk
11-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Karin - I think you're selling the old stuff short. I can make beautiful curving telemark turns with my 205cm Karhu XCD GTs (original ones) with three-pin Rottefellas and Asolo Extreme leather boots. Ok, no, no I can't. But it's fun to flail about and try. It is good stuff for bashing about in sloping woods though. Also a good setup for winter camping with a pulk or pack.

Exactly! It is totally fun to try. But it's really hard to execute. I think a shop guy will tell you those skis/bindings/boots are for making tele turns when in reality I think you already need to have solid skills to make it happen. But yeah, it's great gear to have for skiing through the woods.

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Karin and all;
I'd certainly fall into the catagory of "Basic xc package" or "back country" is what it sounds like? I wont want to tinker with them much. I'd be shooting out the front door and making my own trails at around the local parks and golf courses. If I was to ever get the bug for more that'd be down the line when/if I got semi competent on them?

spiderman
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
This has cycling content as I'm looking to find an XC package for when the weather turns snotty in the Northeast. I know it's been uber warm lately but I want to be prepared for the inevitable freeze. I hate training on rollers and despise the trainer so much I usually just fender up and get on with my work in the slop. But there are still some days and weeks that the roads stay frozen over and unridable around here. Xc skiing is something I've always wanted to get into and a few of my teamates race but they live sorta far away and getting info from them is like talking to my dogs sometimes. So any feedback/tips would be awesome...thnx in advance :beer:

The little I've been told so far;
-Get waxless ski's
-Cost for a decent set up can be around $300 ???
-Called "touring ski's" now?
-Watch out for ski shop's with no clue

Anyhoo...I'm 5'11" 170-175lbs pretty fit build size 43/10 foot. I tend to go overboard with things so would need something I can progress with. What should I be on the look out for?

Anyone?

for bashing around and blazing trail waxless works great (cyclocross)...
for groomed trail it's all about the glide and nothing compares to wax (road)!
get started with a basic waxless package
and then wax with a pilot binding when you're ready to really enjoy it!
...reliableracing.com has some good deals...
my entry level waxless skis and boots my wife found at a garage sale

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Spidey thnx for the link....So knowing the little bit of info I gave you guy's, which of these packages should I be looking at? Other than the classic skis they all sorta look the same to my newbie eye?

nordic skate package

nordic classic package

nordic combi package

touring/backcountry pkg

skijoring
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Based on you saying this:

I'd certainly fall into the catagory of "Basic xc package" or "back country" is what it sounds like? I wont want to tinker with them much. I'd be shooting out the front door and making my own trails at around the local parks and golf courses. If I was to ever get the bug for more that'd be down the line when/if I got semi competent on them?

I would get the touring/backcountry skis.

spiderman
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Spidey thnx for the link....So knowing the little bit of info I gave you guy's, which of these packages should I be looking at? Other than the classic skis they all sorta look the same to my newbie eye?

nordic skate package

nordic classic package

nordic combi package

touring/backcountry pkg

to be quite honest...you can skate with any ski
it's just easier to skate with a boot built for that purpose
and a shorter ski...
i actually have classic skis that are on the longish side
but love them because length gives better glide.
my skis are 210cm...maybe someday i'll get shorter skate skis
but not as of yet.
the classic nordic package is the way to go, imho.
...obtw, if you like to glue tubulars, you will love wax...
if you don't
well,
go waxless...
the fischer classic package looks awesome to me...
the default on these skis, though is that they are waxable
unless they indicate waxless.

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey guys thank you for taking the time and guidence! One more (yeahright more like a million more!) question....What would be a downside to that "Combi package"? As I understand it, it's a cross between classic and skate? Not that I'd know the difference. Would that be the cyclocross bike of the bunch, not great at road or mtn but good enough to get by for either?

Spidey the Classic is what I think/thought of when I got the urge for this. Is that the route most people go? I think of xc skiing and that is what I picture so I'm leaning towards your approach.

Skijoring I'm on Long Island so would a back country set up be under utilized here...flat to slightly rolling type terrain, no real down to be found?

skijoring
11-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey guys thank you for taking the time and guidence! One more (yeahright more like a million more!) question....What would be a downside to that "Combi package"? As I understand it, it's a cross between classic and skate? Not that I'd know the difference. Would that be the cyclocross bike of the bunch, not great at road or mtn but good enough to get by for either?

Spidey the Classic is what I think/thought of when I got the urge for this. Is that the route most people go? I think of xc skiing and that is what I picture so I'm leaning towards your approach.

Skijoring I'm on Long Island so would a back country set up be under utilized here...flat to slightly rolling type terrain, no real down to be found?

The combi stuff does neither very well...I'd choose one or the other. My experience with combi boots is that they are not stiff nor supportive enough for skating.

The only reason I recommend a touring/BC package is that you will be breaking trail, blazing your own paths and really skinny XC racing skis are tough to do that with...You don't have to get full blown metal edge sidecut monsters...Just something like this:

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/fischer-country-crown-touring-skis-08.html

moose8
11-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I got one of the packages from LL Bean last year and have enjoyed it, though it was around $400 I think. At least call them and they can tell you about what they have and ask the right questions for what you think you'll be doing. I went with some that were skinny enough to fit in groomed tracks, but had ceramic edges on the front edge for turning or slowing down.

Mark McM
11-29-2011, 02:55 PM

A more complete name would be "Combi Racing Package". Combi equipment is for racing in either classic or skating technique on prepared groomed ski courses. It isn't meant for backcountry skiing at all. So, it isn't really like the Road Bike -> Cyclocross -> MTB analogy.

The cyclocross bike of the ski world is something more like what is sometimes called a "light touring package", which would be skis narrow enough to fit into tracks at a groomed cross-country ski area, but wide enough to be able to handle some unbroken snow; boots light enough and with a bit of flex so that they aren't too inefficient to ski in prepared tracks, but enough support to handle a bit of untracked snow as well; and mid-length poles with mid-sized baskets so that they are not too inefficient to ski on groomed snow, but with enough floatation that they aren't useless on upacked snow.

But like everyone else says, there is a very wide array of cross-country ski equipment available, from lift-served telemark racing equipment, to alpine touring expedition equipment, to backcountry touring equipment, light trail touring equipment, to sport/performance oriented equipment, to full-on World Cup racing equipment. Each can do its own thing well, but none can do everything well. Your choice will depend on where you will be skiing and the type of skiing you want to do.

572cv
11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't know where you are but here, we have different x-c skis for different conditions.... I have an old set of K2s for telemarking, and climb with skins then ski down. Fun. For general purpose but still with a little control, a set of Fischer S-Bounds, which have a little shape to them, edges, and recessed fish scales. And also a set of Fischer Motion Crowns with fish scales, which are light and fast for going on groomed trails. And there's the set of Rossi skate skis kicking around for those sorts of days. And when there's NO skiing, just cold, we have Nordic Skates, which are a hoot on black ice. You can get going 25 mph on those things on a lake.

The point of all this is to point out the wide variety of approaches- there's no one answer. Lately, we've gotten some equipment up at the Nordic Barn in Stowe, VT. They are the LBS or LXCS there, they only do XC. They do a good job of matching up the skier to what he/she articulates for goals. I'm sure they'd be happy to talk with you on the phone. 802-253-6433. Also, good prices! the website is www.nordicbarnvt.com. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
WOW...I had no idea when I asked it was such a detailed sport! I am finding it more and more interesting with each post, lotsa info to be processed.

If I know myself and I think I do, the first day I cant get my bike on a road or trail due to snow I will look to do this. That said... I will more than likely go out the front door to a local park or golf course and set out on making a loop. Being a dork I will find a way to make it into some type of timed event for myself once I get the hang of things and pack down a course. I have few if any hills accessable from my front door so this will be like going for a flat to slight rolling run for me nothing to go downhill on around home. But I'd sort of try to make it much like my own Olympic-ish type loop, do some laps and call it a day. Which type of ski would fit this scenario best or am I unrealistic?

Karin Kirk
11-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with the classic or the touring setup. At that point I would start shopping and looking for boots that you like, which dictates the binding type, etc. Also finding a shop that you like makes a big difference too. Among brands there is not an enormous difference, so you should go looking and see what appeals to you.

Definitely stay away from combi stuff - as others have said it does nothing well.

Also, I'd try to avoid buying ski boots online. Same as hiking boots or cycling shoes - you need to try them on.

Karin Kirk
11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Just saw your most recent post. Sounds like you want a fishscale type ski without metal edges. Plus a stopwatch of course. :)

christian
11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Just saw your most recent post. Sounds like you want a fishscale type ski without metal edges. Plus a stopwatch of course. :)
No-wax skis. For people who want to sound like a fat kid wearing corduroy! :)

Karin Kirk
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's the sound! I love that zippery sound you get when you glide over a stick or something.

Spicoli
11-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Noted; Classic ski with fishscale type bottom and non metal edge's...I'm going to walk into the ski shop with my lap top and just show them this thread! ;)

mtb_frk
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I picked up a set of back country skis with metal edges for last winter. These are my first and only set. I figured where I would mostly use them there is a lot of foot traffic from people that don't really care about staying out of the track. So after a couple days it can get pretty packed down and even icy. I find that having the metal edges really helps with slowing down and stopping. Maybe someday I will pick up a set of race skis and do a few races but so far I have been really happy with them.

andywills
11-30-2011, 07:56 AM
One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is that it is important to get classic skis that are flexed for your weight and skill level. If you can, get a shop that specializes in Nordic skiing to fit you. If the ski is too soft, you won't glide, if it is too hard, you won't have any kick.

Iowegian
11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm out in Colorado so the snow here is probably a lot different than what you will encounter but here's my $0.02.

I prefer waxable skis. The waxless ones really shine when the snow is mixed up or the temp is near 32 degrees or the snow is old and a bit crusty but in general I have absolutely no problem with waxed skis. Get the wax wrong and you will be less efficient than normal but if you're just out for a workout who cares? I find many people over-think the whole wax thing and make a science out of something that doesn't need to be. Sort of like which jersey fabric has the least air resistance, etc. Sure it matters if you're racing but if you're just out for a ride an old T-shirt works for me.

I'm assuming you aren't going with a skating setup. Unless you live near a groomed track or want to drive to one you won't have much fun skating. So, double camber vs single camber is a big difference in 'classic' XC skis. I prefer single camber. Double camber skis have 2 arches built into them. A big one down the entire length of the ski and a smaller one under your foot for the 'wax pocket'. The theory is that you stomp down to push and this engages the bottom of the ski (and wax) with the snow and then you glide on the other foot. The glide foot has less force pushing down so the wax pocket under your foot isn't in hard contact with the snow. In my experience, single camber skis are easier to handle and turn than double camber ones and once again, unless you are racing they work just fine.

If you are just scooting around a golf course, the range of what will work is quite wide. XC skiing is probably my favorite sport and one of the things I like about it is that it is so forgiving. Around here, folks routinely spend $600+ on skate skis alone but you can have just as much fun and get just a good a workout with stuff from garage sales.

So don't overthink it. With a bit of athletic ability you will be able to ski on anything and then once you get some experience you can move up the equipment food chain.

Once last consideration is clothing. Cycling clothing will be a good start for what to wear but don't forget you will be expending lots of energy and will sweat up a storm unless you can peel off layers as needed. If you aren't freezing while standing still you will be dripping in minutes once you get going. Having a hat in your pocket for stops is essential even if you don't wear it while skiing. Have fun!

merckx
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Get a pair of traditional length 60mm skis. Waxable or waxless depending on your performance/convenience desire.They will give you enough float on untracked snow and move well enough in groomed tracks or in tracks made by other skiers. The Fischer Country is a perfect example of this type of ski. As far as boots are concerned, Alpina or Salomon make great touring models that are lightweight and offer plenty of support. BTW, classic skiing is NOT like walking. There is a weight shift involved that is closer to skating. Get a lesson or two so that you can learn this weight shift business. Keep it simple and have fun!

Clydesdale
11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
My experience - FWIW...

Started with some waxless skis and still use them for early season, warm days, and deep snow/ off track. Simple, easy, put them on and go.

Picked up a cheap pair of waxables later and love them. The days you get the wax wrong are frustrating but doesn't take too long to figure out.

If you don't have groomed trails, I think waxless will work well and give you the quickest way to get out and moving with the least fuss.

My $.02 - Get good boots you like, get decent waxless skis, have a ball and add equipment as you get interested. The last skis I bought were less than $50 on ebay. More than enough for me as I don't race and just enjoy being out and working hard. There is no reason you would need to spend more than $300 unless you just want to. Enjoy

PS - If you don't have a local shop you like, check new moon ski shop and gear west online if you haven't. They will both work with you on the phone to get you the right stuff.

CPP
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a question concerning Skating. Will this develop upper body mass?

singlecross
11-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Yes... your triceps will never feel the same again.

singlecross

Mark McM
11-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Not necessarily (or at least, it hasn't on me ;) ). You can vary how much force you exert with either your arms or legs, and concentrate on one or the other. And with a good V2 technique (double poling with every skate push), you can usually less pole force than with V1 or V2 alternate (double poling once for every 2 skates), because you make up the reduced pole force with greater poling frequency.

CPP
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Not necessarily (or at least, it hasn't on me ;) ). You can vary how much force you exert with either your arms or legs, and concentrate on one or the other. And with a good V2 technique (double poling with every skate push), you can usually less pole force than with V1 or V2 alternate (double poling once for every 2 skates), because you make up the reduced pole force with greater poling frequency.

That sounds good! I want to avoid any excess mass over the winter!!

Karin Kirk
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
No. But it is a killer core workout, done properly. Poling technique has changed and it now emphasizes a short, powerful crunch-type motion just as the poles are planted. The bulk of the power comes from your core, then the arms follow through just a bit. Yes, you'll feel it in your arms a bit at first, but really that's not where the power is coming from.

Skating is super fun - to a slightly obsessive athlete like yourself, you will love it. :)

To Merckx - Agreed, classic skiing is not the same as walking (even though I said that in an earlier post), but if you watch your average golf-course skier, it is totally the same as walking. Or shuffling, more like. But we aspire to be better than average and pursue a nice light, springy stride. Good classic technique is reallllly hard. I am nowhere close.

CNY rider
11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
To Merckx - Agreed, classic skiing is not the same as walking (even though I said that in an earlier post), but if you watch your average golf-course skier, it is totally the same as walking. Or shuffling, more like. But we aspire to be better than average and pursue a nice light, springy stride. Good classic technique is reallllly hard. I am nowhere close.

It really is quite amazing to watch the Winter Olympians skiing.

merckx
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
To Merckx - Agreed, classic skiing is not the same as walking (even though I said that in an earlier post), but if you watch your average golf-course skier, it is totally the same as walking. Or shuffling, more like. But we aspire to be better than average and pursue a nice light, springy stride. Good classic technique is reallllly hard. I am nowhere close.[/QUOTE]

Golf course punters ski with their weight centered between their skis. When you learn proper classic technique, your weight will be centered over your forward ski. Karin knows her XC stuff!

christian
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
But we aspire to be better than average and pursue a nice light, springy stride. Good classic technique is reallllly hard. I am nowhere close.My classic technique tip (and growing up in northern Sweden, we really did this when we were bored at home and mom was out): Find some Pledge or Endust and spray it on the wood floor, or better, straight on your socks. Then stand where the hardwood meets the carpet with the ball of your foot planted on the carpet. Spring forward onto the hardwood and slide with the opposite foot. If you have good technique, 30 feet is no problem. As with roller skis, it does take some care to avoid a late kick. Also watch out for pets, siblings, open kitchen cabinets.

merckx
11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
My classic technique tip (and growing up in northern Sweden, we really did this when we were bored at home and mom was out): Find some Pledge or Endust and spray it on the wood floor, or better, straight on your socks. Then stand where the hardwood meets the carpet with the ball of your foot planted on the carpet. Spring forward onto the hardwood and slide with the opposite foot. If you have good technique, 30 feet is no problem. As with roller skis, it does take some care to avoid a late kick. Also watch out for pets, siblings, open kitchen cabinets.

That is an awesome tip. Thanks for that!

christian
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh, and use a small rug that is a bit slidy - not a wall-to-wall carpet. You want it to simulate the push you can give with an effective wax pocket on the snow, not a planted sneaker. (Wall-to-wall doesn't really exist in Sweden...)

(BTW, for everyone other than Merckx and Karin - this is not actually technique advice. It's just what 6 year-olds did for fun at the Arctic circle. Suffice to say, we didn't have Wii.)

binouye
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Coming late to the thread, there is a lot of good advice already up there. Here are my 2 cents anyway:

Having skied on both Colorado snow (growing up) and NE snow (later), I would strongly recommend waxless skis for starting out anywhere in the northeast US. Wax skis are much much nicer if you know what you're doing, but not worth it if the snow isn't good and/or you aren't going out all that often.

If you are doing any trailbreaking, or skiing off set tracks much, go with shorter and wider skis and avoid "classic" packages. The classic gear will be more fun on set tracks, but shorter wider skis will serve you better off tracks.

Stuff sold as "back country" varies from gear good for what it sounds like you want to do, up to more serious mountaineering gear. Unless you really get into the skiing, metal edges and plastic boots are overkill, (but if you live near mountains and are out a lot they are great).

When I lived in CO the ski season was as long as the bike season. Now I live where I can ride year round and I miss the snow...

CPP
11-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Skating is super fun - to a slightly obsessive athlete like yourself, you will love it. :)

Sweet, another obsession!!

beungood
11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I went through this same thing the last couple of years. I found some great advice here and on Pinnah's site. I rented at Windblown XC center the first time and had a blast. I then went to REI in Hingham Mass which had a great rental fleet, Rossignol BC X-5 Boots and Fischer BC Country Crown Waxless Traditional length (for me 215). The Country crowns were waxless no edge backcountry skis . I had a blast with these skis and the first day and return day are free. Hung on to them and did some groomed trails and then broke alot of trail in State forests after a pretty big dump. At Windblown I tried classics and then rented some metal Edge BackCountry touring skis and went al over thte trails there, the 1600 foot mountain top,off the back into ungroomed rougher areas. Loved these skis. The skating gear will only really work well on groomed trails and are limited.

For my set up I tried on every type of boot out there until I found something that fit like a glove. I went with a Fischer BC X -6 as it had great ankle support lace covers and is warm for staying out along time and had a powerstrap. You can kick and glide without the strap and tighten it for steeper stuff as it has an Plastic ankle cuff. I use them with BC NNN Magnum bindings. For skis I bought a ski that I could fit in tracks if we went to a center but also wanted a skis to break trail too . I bought Alpina Trackers. I can pretty much go anywhere with these they fit in tracks kick and glide well and turn good.

One of my buddies skis waxable for one of his sets and in the northeast with varied conditions I think the waxless mid lengths are a better option. In very cold conditions with the RIGHT wax waxables are fast but he always compalins about them and has since bought waxless and loves them.

The only bad thing is its addicting like cycling. I found a great deal on geartrade.com, Alpina Woodies which are wider and more geared for off track stuff. They cost me $50 for new Alpinas and $20 for the Magnum bindings. EMS is having sales on their internet site as well as backcountry.com, mountaingear.com. I see alot of nice set ups on ebay too.

Just be careful on the boots they all fit slightly different. Alpinas are a higher volume boot. Rossignols are tighter , fisher seemed to be a good middle ground and more supportive in the NNN BC .

If you go my route I like the Madshus MGV Voss and Fischer Spider or the older Silent Spider in the narrower Bc as the tips flex and they are versatile. For wider Madshus Glittertind waxless are a do everything BC skis.

Karen is right the Archaic stuff is good but relies more on technique and doesnt glide as freely as the NNN BC system bindings but supposedly provide more pwer to turn wider skis (telemark turns) An old Green Beret who did alot of Nordic skiing and competed in a 3 week Nordic race advised if I could buy a system set up and a wider sturdier 3 pin 75mm set up and I would learn quicker... VERY ADDICTING ;-)

Feel free to PM if I can help..

Frankwurst
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
I can't skate. I've tried a couple of times (with lessons I might add) but I just don't seem to be able to get it. I do classic. I have waxless (they have come along way in the past few years) and waxable. In all honesty I prefer the waxless but I ski like I ride a bike. I'm not trying to join the elite, just cruise and enjoy some time outdoors. 18k is a good day for me. It's just like cycling to me. If I want pain I can make it happen. If I want to enjoy the ride that's the way I roll. It's a great sport. You won't regret getting involved. I'm waiting for the snow to fly. :beer:

Spicoli
12-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Just want to say thanks again everyone. Having all this great feedback opened my eyes and now I will not be blindly walking into a shop and hoping for the best? There is some great info in this thread for someone looking to get into the sport and as of now I have had all my questions answered but am still learning a ton with each post....so please keep the info coming! I'm really getting a feel for what disipline I'd get the most out of. Hopefully a few other Forumites have thought of trying it as a cross over sport from cycling and they are getting informed also? Very very helpful :beer:

spiderman
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Just want to say thanks again everyone. Having all this great feedback opened my eyes and now I will not be blindly walking into a shop and hoping for the best? There is some great info in this thread for someone looking to get into the sport and as of now I have had all my questions answered but am still learning a ton with each post....so please keep the info coming! I'm really getting a feel for what disipline I'd get the most out of. Hopefully a few other Forumites have thought of trying it as a cross over sport from cycling and they are getting informed also? Very very helpful :beer:

i am tempted to pull the trigger on the vasa race classic skis
they have a g2 waxless option available
...for the size/weight, etc
the 201cm medium universal should be optimal...

Spicoli
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
i am tempted to pull the trigger on the vasa race classic skis
they have a g2 waxless option available
...for the size/weight, etc
the 201cm medium universal should be optimal...

I went to my local ski shop today and they really do not know much about the sport itself. Employee was very cool about it, was honest and up front. They had a bunch of Rosignal "Evo Glade" packages which looked to be there offering for the coming season? It was a compact ski 185-195cm for about $300 with Rosi boots and a choice of screw in or a newer type bindings on some for my size. But they also had some leftover more classic type ski's for a little cheaper. Sizing is going to be a problem because I got that "stand over the top tube and pull the bike up" feeling when it came to poles??? How are they usually sized? Spidey I'll check out that package your suggesting, you might have to tell me sizes though :crap:

spiderman
12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I went to my local ski shop today and they really do not know much about the sport itself. Employee was very cool about it, was honest and up front. They had a bunch of Rosignal "Evo Glade" packages which looked to be there offering for the coming season? It was a compact ski 185-195cm for about $300 with Rosi boots and a choice of screw in or a newer type bindings on some for my size. But they also had some leftover more classic type ski's for a little cheaper. Sizing is going to be a problem because I got that "stand over the top tube and pull the bike up" feeling when it came to poles??? How are they usually sized? Spidey I'll check out that package your suggesting, you might have to tell me sizes though :crap:

that's the nice thing about reliable...they are very helpful,
experienced skiers...and the site has a very helpful chart
for each type of ski they sell!
you'll soon know more about what works for you
than your lbs

beungood
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Spicoli the Evo Glade and Evo trail aren't bad skis to start out with depending on what you want to do. One of my riding partners bought the Rossignol Evo Glade AR ,Rossignol BC x2 boots and poles for around $300-ish. IF your worried about steeper descents or control a Steel edge or partial steel edge ski can help. I would go one step up and get the BC x-5 as it provides a little more ankle suppport and has a cuff with a velcro strap. I rented this boot several times and thought it wasn't a bad boot. For your Poles size them by putting them under your arms they should be up to your armpits. Where are you looking?

Try ORS.com- Onion River Sports,alot of info there. I also did good at Aker Sports out of MAine they have good internet service. They have a Salomon ADV grip ski that is flexible Backcountry sk with metal tips and tails and is pretty fun.

Myself and a few from our riding group all started XC/backcountry skiing when we cannot ride around and here and we stay quite busy with it during the winter. We feel it has kept us pretty fit and a little less work getting bike ready.

Spicoli
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
beungood;
I'm leaning towards the Evo set up but the local shop has some leftover stuff I may be able to get a bit cheaper. Downhill performance is a non issue since I live on a big sandbar off NY. Some time in the next week or two I'll be able to pull the trigger on something, the feedback here has been super helpful. Now I feel as though I am getting to know what I need and or want out of a set up. Really cool learning how different the set ups can be. Also so far my local shop has the best pricing vs. the online stuff which is pretty shocking but cool to be honest!

Peter P.
12-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I realize you asked about X-C skis. I'm gonna make another suggestion.

Snowshoes.

When I first started racing, in the 80's, the rule was cyclists X-C skied in the off-season. So I bought skis. Well, as you said Spicoli, the sport is so detailed! It quickly became a hassle to kit up, as well as being limited to areas that are open to skiing and having enough snow.

Then I bought snowshoes.

You can go right out your front door. Technique is zero. If you can walk, you're all set. Works in as little as 3" of snow. Much better traction uphill than on skis. Little detail or maintenance involved.

Just an option.

Spicoli
12-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Salomon "Snowscape 7" skis, Salomon classic ski bindings, Salomon Escape Composite poles and Salomon "Escape 7 Pilot" boots. Thanks again for all the help guy's/gal's I learned a ton! Still hope it does not snow but if/when it does I'll be good to go :beer:

Set up seems nice and light, best part is I bumped into an old surfing buddy in the ski shop........LOL he runs the place! SOMETIMES YOUR GOOD OTHER TIMES YOUR JUST LUCKY :banana:

spiderman
12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
you'll ski with those for years!
...nice to buy from an old buddy for sure...
that's a great update!

merckx
12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
good stuff. now plan a date with your friend when the snow comes. it sounds like he may be a good instructor to get you started on your new sport. enjoy!

Karin Kirk
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Nice work Spicoli! That's all nice stuff and I am a big fan of Salomon gear too. We'll look forward to an update once it snows - have fun!

Spicoli
12-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Nice work Spicoli! That's all nice stuff and I am a big fan of Salomon gear too. We'll look forward to an update once it snows - have fun!

HAHAHA! thnx....too funny, I'm watching the news yesterday and they started talking about it being a "La Nina" year! Santa Anas on the west coast and NO SNOW on the the east coast! Guess it's a win win for me and usually leads to a good year for surfing but not a great sign for skiing :) Good thing i'm diversified with my sports :o

Karin Kirk
12-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh, I hear you. Our snow is pathetic and the ski areas are barely open. This is going to put a serious hurt on our Christmas economy. Normally I'd be really busy by now but the ski area is basically idle. Boooo.