PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their helmet stolen?

moose8
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I went to get my bike out of my locked garage with about 20 spaces after the thanksgiving break, only to discover that someone had stolen my ratty old helmet. I always leave it in a basket on the rear of my commuting bike, yet it wasn't there. It was of absolutely no value to anyone but me, and was frankly a little on the gross side, yet someone took it (and left the much more expensive lights that were there). I had a bike stolen out of the same garage a few years ago, but since security measures (such as doors that lock behind you) have been introduced, and I thought I'd be ok. Just curious if anyone has had anything as stupid as a helmet stolen? My friend had his bike stolen, but they actually left the helmet on the cut lock.

rice rocket
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
At least they're being safe.

Or maybe they're making a lycra-man voodoo doll, and the helmet was the finishing touch. ;)

tiretrax
11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
maybe your friends thought it was time you got rid of that stinky old helmet that might not provide full protection because the foam was old and also it made your hair smell nasty and they couldn't take it any more. Or, maybe Mr. Squirrel found it would be a good start to a new urban crib for himself.

veloduffer
11-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Many yrs ago my wife had her mid-level Bell helmet stolen from a charity ride of all places. We were at the post-ride meal when it happened.

Fixed
11-29-2011, 09:08 AM
god telling ,you need a new helmet
cheers :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
. . . my first assumption would be that I must have misplaced it, since I've done that before. Carry stuff inside, the phone rings, I put it down to answer, then forget about it. Then a week later I can't find that item and it's hiding in plain sight simply because I put it down somewhere it doesn't usually end up and so I'm looking around for it but it doesn't really register.

Getting old sucks . . . :o :( :crap:

BBD

moose8
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Your first assumption was my first assumption, too, but when I looked I couldn't find it. Then this morning I found it packed in a bag I took for Thanksgiving in case I went for a ride on a friend's bike. Apparently I really can't deviate from my routine at all or I start going crazy. There was no helmet thief, just a helmet dope.

. . . my first assumption would be that I must have misplaced it, since I've done that before. Carry stuff inside, the phone rings, I put it down to answer, then forget about it. Then a week later I can't find that item and it's hiding in plain sight simply because I put it down somewhere it doesn't usually end up and so I'm looking around for it but it doesn't really register.

Getting old sucks . . . :o :( :crap:

BBD

Fixed
11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
happy ending
cheers

tiretrax
11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Your first assumption was my first assumption, too, but when I looked I couldn't find it. Then this morning I found it packed in a bag I took for Thanksgiving in case I went for a ride on a friend's bike. Apparently I really can't deviate from my routine at all or I start going crazy. There was no helmet thief, just a helmet dope.
Still, you probably should get a new helmet. It's my understanding they become less effective with age. I don't know the degradation rate or if that's been studies, but my experience is that the styrofoam breaks down, straps stretch, and locking systems start to crack. I get one evdery four years - that's less than I spend on tubes/year.

moose8
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I actually ordered a new one last week and should be here soon. I was using the old one because I crashed the replacement one I had recently bought.

Still, you probably should get a new helmet. It's my understanding they become less effective with age. I don't know the degradation rate or if that's been studies, but my experience is that the styrofoam breaks down, straps stretch, and locking systems start to crack. I get one evdery four years - that's less than I spend on tubes/year.

Ti Designs
11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Or maybe they're making a lycra-man voodoo doll, and the helmet was the finishing touch. ;)

I think they need hair to make the voodoo work - I always keep my pony tail helmet locked up in the safe...

tiretrax
11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I actually ordered a new one last week and should be here soon. I was using the old one because I crashed the replacement one I had recently bought.
Glad to hear about the new one on order. Sorry to hear about the crash you recently had.

Last week, I was on the way home from the hardware store. I hear a crash and looked in my rear view mirror to see a motorcycle going over the back end of a car that turned in its way and the motorcycle riders traveling through the air. The driver was not hurt badly, but his passenger sustained a bad head injury and a broken hip. He was splayed in the middle of the intersection and couldn't move at all. After seeing his flight through the air, I won't ever put a leg across my bicycle, or let my children do so, without a helmet, even if I'm merely adjusting a seat.