PDA

View Full Version : Ozone Days...

L84dinr
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Hello all, There have been quite a few days of High Ozone here in the Fort Worth area. I have gone for rides on the "orange" days; and once on a "red" day, and in the evening I have felt a tightness in my upper chest and wondered if it is the "High Ozone" causing the discomfort; or the fact I am out of shape. Anybody else notice any discomfort after riding on high ozone days?

Thanks, Raymond

Moveitfred
08-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I have vivid memories from my Los Angeles basin childhood in the 1970's of the tight, burning chest you speak of. From grade school through high school we would have "smog alert" days which meant no recess/gym/outside play. Of course as soon as school let out we would run home and play our games of tag or baseball or basketball until we literally dropped to the ground with burning chests and labored breathing. It's frightening to think about the damage we did to our lungs. Bottom line, yes, I think the pollution has everything to do with the problems you are experiencing.

boulder_courier
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
I lived in Dallas for 2 years. I have always maintained a fairly high fitness level. I would go out on orange and red days (days you could smell that O3 electric smell) to train, and my lungs would burn and my throat would get sore - even inflammed. I worked downtown and even walking around during high O3 days had some effect on my breathing.

I live in Denver now and ozone is a problem here, also. I try to wake up early on high O3 days to get my workout in - or ride to the mountains to get some cleaner air. Ozone will damage your lungs so try to avoid training during high level days.

Jim

L84dinr
08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
For me it is hard to find a good time to ride; so I just ride and hope my lungs will stay healthy. In about another month the heat will fade and the air won't be so hard to swallow. I reckon I could ride the rollers, but air is air; whether in the garage or on the road.

Thanks, Raymond

PanTerra
08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
It is bad for me in Dallas, some evenings I try to get over to the Carrollton rides but I know that to hang on with that hammer-fest, it can't be worse than an orage-alert day. i may just get over to White Rock Lake where the natural attenuation of the air around the lake helps a little bit.

bcm119
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I once spent a few days riding around San Bernardino because I was there for a work meeting... it was a few weeks before the tightness and dry cough went away. Felt like I'd been sucking down bong hits for a week straight. Be careful.

Needs Help
08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I have gone for rides on the "orange" days; and once on a "red" day, and in the evening I have felt a tightness in my upper chest
I used to compete in sporting events on smoggy days, and sometimes I would have to quit because I couldn't catch my breath anymore. When I reached the breaking point, I would have to sit still for a long while just trying to get enough oxygen in my lungs. I imagine that is what emphysema feels like. However, I don't remember any tightness in my chest, but it's been awhile.

Jim Fixx, the runner/author complained of tightness in his chest while running, but he resisted advice to go see a doctor, and he dropped dead of a heart attack. You might want to see a doctor just to make sure.

L84dinr
08-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I have had a hard time catching my breath my entire life. It has been something I have learned to deal with.

I visited a cardiologist for another problem (AET if I remember correctly). I checked out OK and the cardiologist has Oked the bike riding. On my last visit; Sep. 2004, the Dr. had just purchased a bicycle from RBM in Dallas and was excited about starting to ride. Kinda cool.

<<i may just get over to White Rock Lake where the natural attenuation of the air around the lake helps a little bit.>>

I have a friend who lives a couple of blocks from white rock lake. I go over to his house and ride around the lake, there is usually a good breeze and it is a pleasant ride. I have also attended the RBM sunday morning ride. A pretty brisk ride. For me it is a good speed workout! I got dropped a couple of weekends ago. This was the ride where my crank arm started to extricate itself from the BB spindle.

Today it is a red ozone day. The smog is thick even here in parker county, miserable looking! I prolly won't even ride the rollers.

Adios, rtp