PDA

View Full Version : cycling away my reality

learningtoride
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Vientomas
11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I found cycling to be very therapeutic after my Father's death. In general cycling is a great escape from reality for me. Good luck, things will get better.

learningtoride
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM

oliver1850
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Anything that gets you out of the house helps. Riding the bike and seeing a good band always work for me.

pedlpwrd
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear of your hard times Learningtoride. I recently found my marriage is ending and I, too, have been riding more often. I find that all the things I can't communicate to my wife I'm riding out. So, in answer to your question, yes. I'm sure you're not alone in your need to use this format as a release. It sure beats other alternatives some will find. Keep on trucking.
Rick.

Fishbike
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Cycling works your body, but can really help clear your mind and lift your mood. When you ride, focus on your muscles, the simple sophistication of the bike and the beauty of the world outside.

Ride for you, and only you. Find someplace pretty to ride. If you are feeling blue, maybe push a little harder. Of maybe slow down a little and find some interesting things you have never noticed before.

Life is full of cycles (huh -- no pun intended!). Bad stuff happens to everyone. Accept it and work through it. Time helps. And so does saying the heck with everything else, "I'm goin' for a ride."

Hang in there. And ride safe.

firerescuefin
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
LtR....been there brother, more than once. Some of my best thinking/getting away/sanity time has and will be on the bike. Hang in there.

leftsidedrive
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
For sure. Spending time in the saddle is the best psychologist I could ever ask for. It gives me time to think and reflect on everything in my life.

slowerthanyou
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
+1

cmg
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
i suppose because cycling forces the rider to pay attention to the ride he's forced to forget/put aside thoughts about anything else. That's where the vacation from reality begins. sometimes i get lucky and the solution to days issue pops in my head, something i hadn't thought about. better days ahead........

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
. . . because in a world where so many things are beyond my control, fitness activities like cycling, weightlifting, etc., give me the feeling I am in control at a time I desperately NEED some feeling of control--because all else is beyond my control.

Keep riding . . . it will surely help! If you have a bad workout or ride there is no one else to blame but yourself. But if you have a GREAT ride or workout you don't have to share that victory with anyone. It's all yours!

BBD

rbtmcardle
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
For all of us I am sure, riding has helped.. for me, I love riding not so I can think.. but generally because it makes me not think.. about anything but keeping a line, not getting run over, trying to control my breathing.. especially in the winter on the MTB.. a real tight single track.. lose focus for a second and bam I am wrapped around a tree.. not much better than riding for an hour in the quiet of the woods and realizing how nice it was to NOT think about the pressures facing me

Keep those pedals turning and this difficult time will pass and yes, you'll be a stronger person for it.

Hawker
12-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm very sorry. Please let her know her cycling acquaintances are praying for her and I trust you'll find her some good professional help.

soulspinner
12-12-2011, 05:02 AM
I lost my younger brother in 1989 and since he got me into riding I (he was an animal on a bike) I have been riding with his memory ever since..............things will improve, stay riding and get all the excercise you can get.

d_douglas
12-12-2011, 05:40 AM
As my anecdote is positive really, but I am living in a house full of sick people right now, including myself. I have a 4 month old who screamed all weekend with diarrhea and fever, a 2 year old who wouldn't let me put her down and my wife repeatedly telling me how bad her coughing and ear infection is.

Yesterday, when my daughter had a nap, my wife granted a day pass for TWO hours to ride, so I jumped on my CX bike and zipped around in muddy trails along a local river while warm sun poured down on my back.

I came home refreshed and happy to see my whining daughter crying when i walked in the door.

So yes, cycling is therapy for me as well. I have used it and running to get through many a dark moment, including the end of a relationship years ago - keep on keeping on!