http://retroshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC_5014fw.jpg

Spotted on Riv Owners Group forum.

Photo courtesy of Riv Blug.

Ahneida Ride
11-28-2011, 09:56 AM
got more info ?

54ny77
11-28-2011, 09:56 AM
couldn't existing shimano or campy shifters be modified internally to take out the gears (or whatever it is that permits them to "click" into each gear) and thus become a friction shifter/brake lever?

eddief
11-28-2011, 09:59 AM
in this thread over the last month on rbr.com. all the naysayers are having their day.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/retroshift-264420.html

ultraman6970
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Why in the world i did not patented this back in 90'??? Darn...!!

I like it a lot :) the only problem is that indexing is too rough comparing with brifters. But great execution!!!

Kontact
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
in this thread over the last month on rbr.com. all the naysayers are having their day.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/retroshift-264420.html
As far as I can tell, I'm the only "naysayer" on that thread.

But I wasn't shooting down the product. I mentioned to one poster who likes the drops better than hoods that bar ends are more appropriate, and I stated that mounting a complex shifter on this mount defeats the purpose - it is supposed to be about avoiding the complex internals of STI, which RTC shifters have.

Has anyone else here also used Kelly's or Microshift brifters? They're both pretty darn nice, as are Paul's thumby mounts. For Retroshift to make it they are going to have to be much more convenient than the relatively inexpensive Kelly or Paul mounts while having a clear dirt advantage over $130 brifters, because the mounts plus shifters are going for over $300.

The only other comment I'd make is that these may or may not work with other shifters. Campy 8/9/10 barends can be made back into DT shifters, but the cable hole for the housing might not line up on on the Retroshift mounts with the Campy cable slot, or have enough room for Campy's large barrel. And SRAM bar ends don't use DT bosses as a basis for their shifters like Shimano and Campy do. So these are likely to be Shimano only for the time being.

eddief
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
"As far as I can tell, I'm the only "naysayer" on that thread."

I should have said "a detailed discusssion."

Kontact
11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
"As far as I can tell, I'm the only "naysayer" on that thread."

I should have said "a detailed discusssion."
Are you also against those?

eddief
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
just calling attention to an intersting new product. sorry if you are getting some other negative tone out of the conversation.

Are you also against those?

Kontact
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
My apologies. Misread text for "tone".

I think it is neato that someone built these. I think there are other options that don't get discussed much, too.

eddief
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/11/28/first-look-retroshift-brake-shift-levers-for-cyclocross/

Waldo
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Mark Abele at Rivendell has a modified set of these on his commuter. He says they work great.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Mark Abele at Rivendell has a modified set of these on his commuter. He says they work great.

Don't get it..downtube shifters mounted onto these brake levers.

Sorry, don't see how these are 'better' than simple barends, particularly for a commuter.
What it does mean is if the bike falls over, they can get broken, unlike barends.

I'd say for cross and the LH shifter, a barend would be great idea, considering how often you shift the front derailleur.

Chance
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
What’s the main advantage or reason to buy versus brifters? Low cost so it’s cheaper to replace after crash? Less prone to dirt? Lighter? Just curious. Can’t foresee ever needing one but that’s not to say they don’t offer advantages under different conditions. Significant advantages aren’t that clear to me.

coelacant
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Looks like the throw is a bit longer than both STI and Ergo, good for people with long limber fingers. :rolleyes: but an neat idea. Now if someone could figure out how to de-clunk' those shimano barends.

peanutgallery
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
those wool wearing, dandy dressing, luddites have all lost their minds. even the Amish use STI, honest :fight:

AngryScientist
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
He’ll also offer them with Dura-Ace downtube shifters included for about $220

cool idea, but that price would have to come down a lot for them to be attractive to me. i just picked up a brand new set of Record-11 shifters with a brand new cable set for not much more than that.

these look like a nice alternative idea, and if the price were right, i'd give them a go on some project or another, but that's a little high IMO

charliedid
11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
RetroShift in action:

Yikes....looks horrible. Sharp corners, you lose the top position on the hoods/levers. Those guys try too hard sometimes.

Spotted on Riv Owners Group forum.

Photo courtesy of Riv Blug.

Yikes....looks horrible. Sharp corners, you lose the top position on the hoods/levers. Those guys try too hard sometimes.

Kontact
11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
What’s the main advantage or reason to buy versus brifters? Low cost so it’s cheaper to replace after crash? Less prone to dirt? Lighter? Just curious. Can’t foresee ever needing one but that’s not to say they don’t offer advantages under different conditions. Significant advantages aren’t that clear to me.
Dirt.

The point seems to be that many riders these days only use one position on the bar - the hoods. And STI is the only other decent hood shifting device, in the opinion of the inventor. But STI is more complex, and cross racers fear complex parts and dirt.

Personally, I think $40 Kelly Take-Offs work pretty well and let you use any brake lever you want, including ones made for V-brakes.

My cross choice would be Microshift 8 speed. For $100, you can afford to get it screwed up.

DogpawSlim
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I want these, but I don't want to pay $140. That buys a lot of downtube shifters.

Great idea.

Chance
11-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Dirt.
If dirt is that big a problem how are other racers getting by with standard road shifters? Are failures that common?

Kontact
11-28-2011, 10:43 PM
If dirt is that big a problem how are other racers getting by with standard road shifters? Are failures that common?
No idea. I have yet to see any consistant cross trends, and I haven't done it enough personally to have strong opinions.

However, STI 2 button shifters have been used on mountain bikes for 20 years. The complexity of those shifters in dirty conditions doesn't seem to be a big deal.