PDA

View Full Version : which cleats are more durable, shimano or LOOK?

AngryScientist
11-28-2011, 06:42 AM
just got a nice pair of warmer road shoes for the winter (read - not well ventilated road shoes), and am going to go for road pedals on my fixed gear.

i'm a longtime speedplay zero user. i love those pedals, but seriously, if you even look at dirt, salt, grime or whatever, the cleats are fouled.

interested in which cleats are more durable, shimano or look.

looking at most likely 6700 pedals or keo max.

opinions on those too for a fixed gear set-up is appreciated.

WeakRider
11-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I assume you meant Look cleats (not Time)? Anyway, I'm a current Speedplay user, but Shimano SPD-SL cleats are the most durable cleats I've ever had the pleasure of using. I found that they lasted about twice as long as Keo cleats. Shimano cleats are a lot easier to walk on, too.

AngryScientist
11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I assume you meant Look cleats (not Time)? Anyway, I'm a current Speedplay user, but Shimano SPD-SL cleats are the most durable cleats I've ever had the pleasure of using. I found that they lasted about twice as long as Keo cleats. Shimano cleats are a lot easier to walk on, too.

thanks, and yea i did mean look, for a minute, i was considering the new time iclik's, but i dont think i want to try them. good feedback, i appreciate it.

i'm definitely sticking with speedplay for all of my road bikes, but for the fixed gear and winter duty, i want something different.

saab2000
11-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Shimano pedals and cleats are extremely well designed. You don't wear out the engagement surfaces by walking on the cleats. They last a long, long time.

AngryScientist
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
OK - Shimano it is.

Next question - is there any actual advantage other than weight offered by 6700 over 5700??

WeakRider
11-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Well, there's the "Made in..." argument. 6700 pedals are made in Japan, while 5700 pedals are made in Malaysia. Personally, I think the gap between USA/Japan and China/SE Asia is closing (in terms of manufacturing quality). Bearings, races, and spindles should be the same on 5700 and 6700. Pedal body and clip-in mechanism are different.

WeakRider
11-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Personally, I think you should just bite the bullet and get these:

http://www.excelsports.com/image/Shimano%20Dura-Ace%20SPD-SL%20PD-7900%20Pedals.jpg

What pedals are sexier than 7900 pedals?

AngryScientist
11-28-2011, 07:46 AM

first off - the campy pro-fit pedals are sexier :D

this bike is meant to be used and abused, no eye candy on this one, just good, functional stuff. just debating if i get any more functionality or durability out of 6700 pedals, which are roughly double the cost of the 5700 ones.

rice rocket
11-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Get the used 7810 pedals over the 6700/5700. Different spindle that has a lower Q-factor and bigger bearings (and reportedly lower stack height, although I'm having trouble substantiating that claim). There's a few pairs on eBay right now <$100.

saab2000
11-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Get the used 7810 pedals over the 6700/5700. Different spindle that has a lower Q-factor and bigger bearings (and reportedly lower stack height, although I'm having trouble substantiating that claim). There's a few pairs on eBay right now <$100.

This. They are excellent pedals and are practically indestructible.

rustychisel
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
of the two, definitely the Shimano.

You've probably read it before, but if you want long wearing cleats and excellence of design and function, look at Keywin. My cleats last 18 months on average

Ti Designs
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM

That lower Q factor can work against you. I've taken those pedals away from a number of larger riders because the Q factor put their alignment inboard and they started to have hip problems. SPD-SL is a good platform, stable and durable, but if that doesn't agree with your body...

oliver1850
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I am now on my 2nd pair of Look delta cleats since 1993. The first pair were still in use when mice chewed up my shoes, and I decided to splurge on a new pair for the new shoes. Haven't used Shimano, so can't say they aren't 3X better.

christian
11-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I have 5700s and I think they're fine. I don't see how 6700 could be all that much better, frankly.

BTW, Ti Designs, you still dead? Whatever happened with that?

deechee
11-28-2011, 04:00 PM
the dura-ace pedals are only able to be removed with a hex key, I find that annoying. For beater pedals I dunno how often you'll be removing/greasing them.

I have ultegra and 105 level pedals on many bikes and honestly there is no difference. With age (5 years+?) the 105s are little less smooth and don't necessarily flip back into position all the time but they're also the ones I trash through rain and commuting.

palincss
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
You've probably read it before, but if you want long wearing cleats and excellence of design and function, look at Keywin. My cleats last 18 months on average

I got 10 years of daily use out of a pair of Sidi's with SPDs I used on my commute, which included a good deal of walking through the parking garage to my office as well as frequent dismounts at stop signs and traffic lights, both of which wear cleats and shoes. It was the shoes that gave out in the end; the cleats were still serviceable.

godfrey1112000
11-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Personally, I think you should just bite the bullet and get these:

http://www.excelsports.com/image/Shimano%20Dura-Ace%20SPD-SL%20PD-7900%20Pedals.jpg

Nothing, they are very nice,

rice rocket
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
That lower Q factor can work against you. I've taken those pedals away from a number of larger riders because the Q factor put their alignment inboard and they started to have hip problems. SPD-SL is a good platform, stable and durable, but if that doesn't agree with your body...

Hmm, I hope that isn't me in the future. The SPD-SL cleats have a good deal of Q-factor adjustment in them. I haven't measured the final Q-factor against the TIME pedals I just took off, but those didn't have any lateral adjustment at all. I'll get out the calipers, brb.

Alright, here are the numbers.

The TIME i-Clics have a 51.7mm Q-factor minimum and 54.3mm maximum (adjustment is done by swapping left and right cleats). This is from the end of the pedal threads to the center of the shoe.

The Shimano 7810s at their minimum have a 51.8mm, maximum 54.8mm. They are infinitely variable due to the sliding slots in the cleat.

I'm glad I picked these up over the 6700s since it matches my previous pedals closely, which I never had hip problems on. :banana:

Who wants to measure the 6700/5700 pedals?

Ralph
11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I like my Keo 2 Max pedals just fine, but the cleats only last me a year or so. I ride 4-5 days a week. Fortunately, they are cheap to buy.

EDS
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
first off - the campy pro-fit pedals are sexier :D

this bike is meant to be used and abused, no eye candy on this one, just good, functional stuff. just debating if i get any more functionality or durability out of 6700 pedals, which are roughly double the cost of the 5700 ones.

I have some beat to hell campy record pro-fit's if you want that lived in look!

That said, even when they were new there was nothing sexy about them.

fatallightning
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
spd-sl's last much longer then looks. the look grips are even worse. i prefer the metal bodies of shimano to the composite looks as well. as far as fixed goes, you probably won't be max'ing the tension, but fwiw, look at pro track racers, and see how many run spd-l vs keos. not even close.