PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace 10spd Vs Ultegra 10 spd...

SoCalSteve
07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi all,

I am not sure if this has been discussed (I dont remember seeing any threads on this specific issue)...So, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I am building my dream bike (Ottrott ST) and am stuck between Ultegra Triple 10 and Dura Ace Triple 10. I have Ultegra Triple 10 on my Hors Cat and really love it! It shifts better than Dura Ace 9 speed. Like bhutta!! Very smooth stuff...

So, do I spring the extra $$ for the D/A or do I stick with Ultegra? Besides the finish of the D/A being nicer, does it shift better than Ultegra? Will it last longer? What are the compelling reasons (if any) to sprind for D/A?

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

PS: I have a connection to get the D/A stuff at a pretty good price...Its still more than Ultegra though..by a lot!

dirtdigger88
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
you go for the DA and why in the heck are you asking- if you are already dropping how much on a frame- exactly how much are you saving between the two- Steve- pretend I was asking you the the same question. What would you tell me? I though so :banana:
Jason

yeehawfactor
07-31-2005, 11:43 PM
if it's your dream bike go big with dura ace and don't look back.

chainrings on dura-ace are lighter and stiffer
lever action feels noticeably smoother
something else i noticed is that d/a cassettes are easier to put on as it's a few groups of gears with loose gears on the end instead of a lot of single gears. i would assume this saves weight as well.

sunninho
08-01-2005, 01:04 AM
The Ottrot deserves DA, Steve. I have DA10 on my tri bike and love it. Materials and finish are sweet and you save a little weight as well, close to a pound, I believe, if that matters.

Climb01742
08-01-2005, 04:06 AM
ultimate deserves ultimate. even if DA is "only" percentages better, down the road, mile after mile, those percentages add up, compounding your pleasure. dream bikes are about splurging, no-compromising. of course it's easy for me to say with your money! :beer:

Ken Robb
08-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I only have 9spd Ultegra and 10spd DA so I have no direct comparison. I did swap DA cassette for Ultegra and found no difference in performance though the DA was lighter.

My only caveat about going DA rather than Ultegra: If the increased cost of cassettes and chains in the future is going to make you stretch (no pun intended) the intervals betwen replacements so you will be riding on marginally worn and therefore poorer performing drivetrain components you would probably be better off with perfectly maintained Ultegra.

If you will always be willing to ante up for replacements in a timely manner and don't mind the extra expense well-----it is the ultimate Serotta after all.

Dave
08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Move up to the best, Campy Record.

scrooge
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Of course, I don't know anything. I just wanted to root for the underdog...

pbbob
08-01-2005, 02:43 PM
another vote for ultegra.
parts are parts.
what wheelset?

FunkyPorcini
08-01-2005, 03:00 PM
I do not want to make this a Campy Vs. Shimano battle.
----------------
That said, Steve, have you ever ridden on a Campy equiped bike? I'd be interested to hear what you have to say if you have or why you have not.
----------------
I do not want to make this a Campy Vs. Shimano battle.

Tony Edwards
08-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I actually prefer the looks of the Ultegra cranks, and since even the D-A levers use some plastic, this is one generation in which style doesn't clearly militate in favor of D-A.

That said, on an Ottrott I'd go for the Full Monty, since you can obviously afford it. If it were me I'd go for Record, but that's a subject for another day . . .

sg8357
08-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Of course, I don't know anything. I just wanted to root for the underdog...

Underdog ?, Try Simplex, great shifting.

Scott G.

ClutchCargo
08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
but only if you want a bunch of bike snobs wondering what's wrong with you that you would put those components on such a beautiful top-of-the-line machine. (really, can you picture yourself at the Open House with an Ultegra equipped Ottrot???) you will be branded on sight as a cheapo or a weirdo ... or both!

that said, recently I ran across an invoice for the DA parts that I purchased when I last built up a ride in '02, and Shimano's price increases since then would put any American college to shame. pretty astounding, really. and the fall-off in performance between DA and Ultegra is much smaller than the difference between XTR and XT (if that means anything to you).

so, of course, it's your call. just have fun on that bike!

p.s. in any event, forget about the Campy snobs; in their eyes, either way, you will be the iconoclast (i.e., "one who destroys religious images or opposes their veneration") !