PDA

View Full Version : The Unicycle Girl

Fishbike
11-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I was out on a ride yesterday, enjoying the unusually warm and sunny New England late-November day, when I saw a girl doing laps on her unicycle up and down her driveway. There were traffic cones at each end of the driveway. Since I enjoying riding one wheel almost as riding two, I stopped and cheered her on. As I got closer I saw she was a little older than I first thought, maybe early-mid twenties.

She was out there with presumably her parents near each traffic cone. As she turned each traffic cone, each parent stuck his / her arm out so she could grab on and maintain her balance as she rounded each cone.

I again complimented her skill. She did not acknowledge me but her mom and I chatted a bit. Then her mom said "she is autistic, you know." As she told me that her mom yelled "20!" and Unicycle Girl pedaled and disappeared into the garage. I gathered that her routine was to do 20 laps up and down the driveway.

The encounter made me smile. I pedaled just a little faster myself afterward.

Hawker
11-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for posting, nice story. Count your blessings.

d.vader123
11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Nice story...I know the focus of that story was about the girl and her unicycle, but I have to add that people don't have these close, personal experiences if they drove a car everywhere.

This is why I love biking.

AngryScientist
11-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I have to add that people don't have these close, personal experiences if they drove a car everywhere.

This is why I love biking.

this is soo soo true, human interactions are the spice of life.

nice story, cool girl, way cool parents.

SteveFrench
11-27-2011, 09:06 PM
x