11-27-2011, 08:17 AM
my almost next door shop carries linus it is their only brand
looks like a decent city bike
anyone seen them before ?
cheers
http://www.linusbike.com/

Aaron O
11-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes - they are decent price point bikes and most (all?) are 4130.

jet sanchez
11-27-2011, 08:25 AM
They are all over the place here in Toronto, they seem decent enough but very expensive for what you get. A single speed coaster brake bike costs about $500

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 08:27 AM
my almost next door shop carries linus it is their only brand
looks like decent city bike
anyone seen them before ?
cheers

I sell 'em, nice bicycles. Sizing can be a little weird. Sportster and Gaston comes in small(51cm) and large(59cm), they need something in between since the 59 has a 32.5 inch standover. Mixte, Dutchie great deals and better than my 'other' brand, Public. Public bike for bike more expensive(M3 Public about $200 more than Linus Mixte 3).

BUT biggest problem with Public is their strong desire to sell direct, even if the customer is in Boulder. OF COURSE Public prefers this, makes more money but I need to have a reason to sell Public VS Linus and I don't see that. Too many 'specials' at Public.com that I cannot participate in.

I sell Linus, quite well, BTW. Public has '1000 yard' ears, when I mention the problems of direct to them.

For the next poster from Canada, eh? Linus steel frames, 700c wheels/tires, no coaster brake(which is a PITA, iffa ya ask me), 2 hand brakes and single speed like the Sportster, better bike, IMHO than a 'beach cruiser", which at $500C($475USD) is expensive.

drewski
11-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I took a test ride on one in NYC. George Bliss sells them at the HUB station
in the West Village. I test rode the Linus roadster sport. I thought it was a pretty neat
utilitarian bicycle. Very relaxed geometry and definitely lighter than the cruiser bicycles of yore but still a bit heavy. 30 + pounds. Great for riding on flat terrain. Much better than the Chinese Flying Pigeons.
Mine had extra wide Milano style handlebars.

The parts that come on the bike are low entry Shimano that are are good enough, but they seem like the the kind of things that would need to be serviced after a few months of heavy riding. They seem to be going after the coffee klatch riding circuit. These bikes are all over the lower Manhattan area.

BTW George Bliss makes really cool custom work bicycles in New York.

Another shop in New York has nice photos of them.
http://www.adelineadeline.com/bicycles/linus/roadster-sport.html#

tannhauser
11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
They ride well and are light for the price point, but the frames are noodly and the hardware prone to rust.

Fine for tootling short distances and not worry about. Has the right look for the hip youngsters.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
They ride well and are light for the price point, but the frames are noodly and the hardware prone to rust.

Fine for tootling short distances and not worry about. Has the right look for the hip youngsters.

Noodly? tootling? My average customer for these and Public is probably a woman in her 50s. Do you have one or know of people that have had them for a while? Extensive test rides to determine that the frame was noodly?

Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. I've sold these long enough to not see what you have 'seen'.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
They're the Rapha of "city bikes." Nice enough, ubiquitous in gentrified, hip neighborhoods and all marketing. I put one on CL a few weeks ago and within an hour had 20 emails. Anyway, the basic Roadster is overpriced by $150-$200. It's Chinese crap, but does its job well since it actually looks good in person and is fun to ride. Again, kinda like Rapha...hahah.

Here's the same bike sold as a Retrospec:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI254F00-Retrospec+Siddhartha+Cruiser.aspx

Old Potatoe, how much would you sell that piece of crap for?

tannhauser
11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Noodly? tootling? My average customer for these and Public is probably a woman in her 50s. Do you have one or know of people that have had them for a while? Extensive test rides to determine that the frame was noodly?

Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. I've sold these long enough to not see what you have 'seen'.

Yes, I know people who have them. Yes, I've been on an extensive test ride on one. Yes I know the shop owner and he agrees with me. The entire frame is underbuilt for me. Out of the saddle sprinting the rear wheel doesn't track the front that well.

I used to race and am evaluating the frame in a performance context. I think it holds speed well and is a quality offering at its price point. The Public is a step up, frame-wise and component-wise. Yes I spent a day riding it.

As I said, fine for rolling sedately around town but its short comings become apparent when caning it.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
They're the Rapha of "city bikes." Nice enough, ubiquitous in gentrified, hip neighborhoods and all marketing. I put one on CL a few weeks ago and within an hour had 20 emails. Anyway, the basic Roadster is overpriced by $150-$200. It's Chinese crap, but does its job well since it actually looks good in person and is fun to ride. Again, kinda like Rapha...hahah.

Here's the same bike sold as a Retrospec:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI254F00-Retrospec+Siddhartha+Cruiser.aspx

Old Potatoe, how much would you sell that piece of crap for?

A Rapha $50 jersey is $300..not really the same thing.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes, I know people who have them. Yes, I've been on an extensive test ride on one. Yes I know the shop owner and he agrees with me. The entire frame is underbuilt for me. Out of the saddle sprinting the rear wheel doesn't track the front that well.

I used to race and am evaluating the frame in a performance context. I think it holds speed well and is a quality offering at its price point. The Public is a step up, frame-wise and component-wise. Yes I spent a day riding it.

As I said, fine for rolling sedately around town but its short comings become apparent when caning it.

Yep, it doesn't sprint worth a damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqBbxlNNtdE

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 11:28 AM
A Rapha $50 jersey is $300..not really the same thing.

The Roadster retails for $449 so it's priced 30% higher than the Retrospec. And that's on a bike that would sell for $150 at WalMart. The Roadster uses the same frame, bars, saddle, post, headset as the Roadster Sport (Sportster) and the Gaston. Also, only the dt is 4130, the rest of the frame is hi tensile. $500 plus for a hi tensile bike? Come on guys.

Here's some good copy:

This stripped down, elegant ride is the bicycle in its purest form. A simple, clean profile inspired by French and Italian cinema from the 50’s and 60’s.
Durable Hi Tensile steel frame with Chromoly down tube.

I don't know of any manufacturer who sells a $50 sportwool jersey.

Anyway, I spend a lot of time in Venice (where Linus is based) and Santa Monica. The first time I saw a Linus I thought a Rapha ad had materialized before my eyes. A Brit, wearing a tweed blazer and nice slacks, riding to the beach. I thought he was on a $4000 custom bike. Later we talked at the coffee shop and he mentioned he picked up his bike for $500. It seemed that within months every bike rack in Venice had at least one Linus locked up. I didn't know anything about the brand, didn't know that one of the Rapha models is a sales manager, didn't know they were made in China. I honestly thought they were a kind of homegrown outfit. How naive I be. The 20-somethings who run Linus are smart guys. Smart sales guys, smart distributors. I think they realized that the dutch bike trend would never catch on in places like LA but there was still a hunger for a "city bike" that looks kinda cool, goes kinda fast, but is practical and not what a roadie or fixie freak would ride. In other words, a cool beach cruiser.

I found mine at a yard sale, new. The rear wheel went out of true after one ride. For such elegant, thin looking tubing it weighed as much as a tank and the beautiful blue paint would scuff every time a breeze blew in though my window. Bottom line, buyer beware. With this type of bike, you really are better off at WalMart or Performance.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
The Roadster retails for $449 so it's priced 30% higher than the Retrospec. And that's on a bike that would sell for $150 at WalMart. The Roadster uses the same frame, bars, saddle, post, headset as the Roadster Sport and the Gaston.

I don't know of any manufacturer who sells a $50 sportwool jersey.

Anyway, I spend a lot of time in Venice (where Linus is based) and Santa Monica. The first time I saw a Linus I thought a Rapha ad had materialized before my eyes. A Brit, wearing a tweed blazer and nice slacks, riding to the beach. I thought he was on a $4000 custom bike. Later we talked at the coffee shop and he mentioned he picked up his bike for $500. It seemed that within months every bike rack in Venice had at least one Linus locked up. I didn't know anything about the brand, didn't know that one of the Rapha models is a sales manager, didn't know they were made in China. I honestly thought they were a kind of homegrown outfit. How naive I be. The 20-somethings who run Linus are smart guys. Smart sales guys, smart distributors. I think they realized that the dutch bike trend would never catch on in places like LA but there was still a hunger for a "city bike" that looks kinda cool, goes kinda fast, but is practical and not what a roadie or fixie freak would ride. In other words, a cool beach cruiser.

I found mine at a yard sale, new. The rear wheel went out of true after one ride. For such elegant, thin looking tubing it weighed as much as a tank and the beautiful blue paint would scuff every time a breeze blew in though my window. Bottom line, buyer beware. With this type of bike, you really are better off at WalMart or Performance.

Were you trying to out sprint tannhauser to a stop sign?

Maybe Performance...

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe Performance...did you participate in the Rapha thread as well?

Rapha jerseys aren't wool, they're wool blends.

Of course (although they do have a few 100% merino city jerseys/polos), but the poly/wool blend is not an inexpensive fabric. When I first started wearing the stuff, I tried finding a baselayer at REI for less than $80 and had no luck. I won't start another Rapha debate but the point I'm making is that clothing items made of wool blends are "luxury items" that you wont find at WalMart or Target but a hi tensile bike is not. So, if one hates Rapha for the illusion they perpetrate then one should hate Linus even more. Or frown upon it, at least.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Were you trying to out sprint tannhauser to a stop sign?

Haha, OP, I weigh 155 and have chicken legs. And I've yet to learn how to sprint on mustache bars.

tannhauser
11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Any thread with the Ralpha word in it is doomed.

To put a fine point on it, since Dutch bikes were mentioned, Publics cater more to the upright, Cycle Chic set whereas Linuses to some kind of Franco- Anglo- sporty-sport set, ridden glacially of course. I think I'd rather have a Raleigh Sports with modern wheels and brakes.

Would love to see Linus sponsor some sort of bus roller derby alley cat keirin on a grass field series. Replace the gol darn Tour de Fat for criminy's sake.

As an aside I rode yesterday a prototype of a bike a friend is developing for his shop to compete in this market - really nice.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Any thread with the Ralpha word in it is doomed.

To put a fine point on it, since Dutch bikes were mentioned, Publics cater more to the upright, Cycle Chic set whereas Linuses to some kind of Franco- Anglo- sporty-sport set, ridden glacially of course.

I sold my Linus to a 21-year-old, recent college grad, who looked like one of the twins (Armie Hammer) from the Social Network and drove a Prius. The kid was 6'2," very stylish but not hipster. He and his frat brother were moving to a $3500/month house in Silver Lake. This is the market Linus creams itself over. I mean, who wouldn't.

tannhauser
11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I sold my Linus to a 21-year-old, recent college grad, who looked like one of the twins (Armie Hammer) from the Social Network and drove a Prius. The kid was 6'2," very stylish but not hipster. He and his frat brother were moving to a $3500/month house in Silver Lake. This is the market Linus creams itself over. I mean, who wouldn't.

Hipster is the term anyone over 40 (me) uses to describe anyone under 40 when they've adopted the archetypal look.

Linus is like a pair of ripped jeans - you don't know if they cost $500 or $40, they look the same. It just has that look that appeals to a lot of the fashion/image conscious.

Ok, to put a further fine point on it - the Linuses around here are ridden by faux hipsters, guys who are too clean cut and have perfect facial hair. "Real" hipsters here stink, are unkempt, go to Fight Club and ride ratted out Franken-fixies, geared Propads with a Surly fork and a porteur rack of unknown provenance, probably built by a friend in a cold, dimly-lit garage.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Hipster is the term anyone over 40 (me) uses to describe anyone under 40 when they've adopted the archetypal look.

Linus is like a pair of ripped jeans - you don't know if they cost $500 or $40, they look the same. It just has that look that appeals to a lot of the fashion/image conscious.

Ok, to put a further fine point on it - the Linuses around here are ridden by faux hipsters, guys who are too clean cut and have perfect facial hair. "Real" hipsters here stink, are unkempt, go to Fight Club and ride ratted out Franken-fixies, geared Propads with a Surly fork and a porteur rack of unknown provenance, probably built by a friend in a cold, dimly-lit garage.

"Hipster" on other forums ignites a sh$t storm the way Rapha does here. But I know exactly what you mean. The jeans analogy is perfect.

Btw, where is "here?" Portlandia?

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Of course (although they do have a few 100% merino city jerseys/polos), but the poly/wool blend is not an inexpensive fabric. When I first started wearing the stuff, I tried finding a baselayer at REI for less than $80 and had no luck. I won't start another Rapha debate but the point I'm making is that clothing items made of wool blends are "luxury items" that you wont find at WalMart or Target but a hi tensile bike is not. So, if one hates Rapha for the illusion they perpetrate then one should hate Linus even more. Or frown upon it, at least.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/350446941358

Louis
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow. I really do live out in the sticks.

Here I am clad in Lycra, busy riding my road bikes on hilly country roads, when there is a much hipper crowd riding heavy iron to coffee shops and looking cool doing it. Who knew? Not I. Never heard of any of these brands. (Except Rapha ;) )

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
http://compare.ebay.com/like/350446941358

Thanks for that OP! I won't pay over $50 for baselayers so that means I only own 5. I find half price deals about once a year. I tried ebay a couple of years ago but gave up.

In any case, a $40 base layer is still, imo, a luxury item and not comparable to a $115 - $160 jersey (which Rapha has been selling at a discount for months). Again, not to start a Rapha debate, but they're not trying to pass off $50 jerseys as Assos quality high-end cycling apparel. Linus, however, is passing off a cheap hi ten bike as something of quality. If that weren't the case your shop wouldn't carry Linus. Do you sell Micargis?

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that OP! I won't pay over $50 for baselayers so that means I only own 5. I find half price deals about once a year. I tried ebay a couple of years ago but gave up.

In any case, a $40 base layer is still, imo, a luxury item and not comparable to a $115 - $160 jersey (which Rapha has been selling at a discount for months). Again, not to start a Rapha debate, but they're not trying to pass off $50 jerseys as Assos quality high-end cycling apparel. Linus, however, is passing off a cheap hi ten bike as something of quality. If that weren't the case your shop wouldn't carry Linus. Do you sell Micargis?

You bet, these Linus things are cheap junk, and it helps my shop to sell cheap junk. I try to do that everyday, pass off junk to my customers. In fact, I am known to sell cheap junk...sarcasm intended.

I think you have a bigger problem with the image, the bicycles, website, the riders YOU see and Rapha, than with some city bikes of whatever manufacturer. If ya don't like them, don't buy another one.

Look, I have sold about 40 of these things, they are relatively inexpensive city bikes that do what they are supposed to do. Of the 40 I have sold, I have had one warranty issue with the shimano 8s rear hub, and they sent a new rear wheel quickly. NO other problems whatsoever. One thing in retail, if a customer isn't happy, you hear about it. The total margin I have received from ALL 40 equals about the margin of one or two Moots. They are not a big part of the shop, they are a teeny part, decent product, puts somebody on a bicycle they can ride to a coffee shop..so what?

There is far more 'cheap junk' at the $1500-$10000 price points than a bunch of $500-$650 city bicycles.

And I think the pro kitted, pro bike riding posseur, the one that the trekspecilizedgiant marketing clones talk to, is far more comical than some guy in a tight, wrinkled plaid shirt, flat hat and trimmed mustache on a Linus going to a coffee shop for a latte.

Never heard of Micargis.

MerckxMad
11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I checked out a Linus from a Williamsburgh hipster, but bought a cheapie BD version. Identical frameset for cheap townie.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
You bet, these Linus things are cheap junk, and it helps my shop to sell cheap junk. I try to do that everyday, pass off junk to my customers. In fact, I am known to sell cheap junk...sarcasm intended.

I think you have a bigger problem with the image, the bicycles, website, the riders YOU see and Rapha, than with some city bikes of whatever manufacturer. If ya don't like them, don't buy another one.

Look, I have sold about 40 of these things, they are relatively inexpensive city bikes that do what they are supposed to do. Of the 40 I have sold, I have had one warranty issue with the shimano 8s rear hub, and they sent a new rear wheel quickly. NO other problems whatsoever. One thing in retail, if a customer isn't happy, you hear about it. The total margin I have received from ALL 40 equals about the margin of one or two Moots. They are not a big part of the shop, they are a teeny part, decent product, puts somebody on a bicycle they can ride to a coffee shop..so what?

There is far more 'cheap junk' at the $1500-$10000 price points than a bunch of $500-$650 city bicycles.

And I think the pro kitted, pro bike riding posseur, the one that the trekspecilizedgiant marketing clones talk to, is far more comical than some guy in a tight, wrinkled plaid shirt, flat hat and trimmed mustache on a Linus going to a coffee shop for a latte.

Never heard of Micargis.

You're changing the conversation and it doesn't change the fact that putting "Linus" on the frame and establishing relationships with respected retailers, such as your shop (Linus is pretty savvy about this as their bikes only seem to be available through good bike shops), is simply a marketing strategy to distribute "lower" quality frames at a very high mark-up. Whether or not you make a killing on each bike doesn't subtract from Linus's bottom line. If Jenson can sell the same bike at 30% less and, from what my friends in the industry tell me, that means their margin is about 30% then how much is the distributor paying the Chinese factory or middleman? $500 bikes that are imported for $75 will get more people on the road. But if WalMart pays $75 for a bike they don't sell it for $500. Gawd, I can't believe I'm advocating the WalMart model. Bottom line, I just don't think people should be ripped off even if that means more people on bikes.

And OP, I should clarify. I don't think you're ripping people off. I think Linus is ripping people off. The same type of people who spend $200 on jeans. As for the quality of the bikes, they can't really be damaged if they're not ridden. Linus benefits from the Health Club Model, which essentially means sell a lifestyle which wont be consumed. Buy a club membership, workout for a week then never go back. It's the reason, you can join 24 Hour Fitness for $30 monthly, since so few members actually use the machines, which helps manage depreciation.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I checked out a Linus from a Williamsburgh hipster, but bought a cheapie BD version. Identical frameset for cheap townie.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/kensington8.htm

Smart buy. The Linus Roadster 8 is $830 plus tax and they charge an additional $50 for the front rack. For once, BD isn't exaggerating about the "list" price of one their bikes.

NHAero
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
People buy stuff based on emotion in most cases. Lotsa folks drive cars that aren't the best possible economic choice they could make. So if a company puts together a line of bikes built around a look and a story that appeals to a segment of the market, what's wrong with that, especially if it gets people on bikes who weren't already riding?

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 09:43 PM
People buy stuff based on emotion in most cases. Lotsa folks drive cars that aren't the best possible economic choice they could make. So if a company puts together a line of bikes built around a look and a story that appeals to a segment of the market, what's wrong with that, especially if it gets people on bikes who weren't already riding?

Because you're paying twice as much for the SAME bike. A rebadged bike. I'm no economist but I know that's wasteful. An extra $500 to Mr. Linus isn't as beneficial to the economy as a whole as buying the $450 BD version and spending the remaining $500 at 10 different businesses. Or even putting the savings into your 401K...

NHAero
11-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Because you're paying twice as much for the SAME bike. A rebadged bike. I'm no economist but I know that's wasteful. An extra $500 to Mr. Linus isn't as beneficial to the economy as a whole as buying the $450 BD version and spending the remaining $500 at 10 different businesses. Or even putting the savings into your 401K...

I see your point and don't disagree. Is this really substantially different than GM making multiple brands of car on the same platform and selling a Cadillac for more, with a fancier interior?

Louis
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
People buy stuff based on emotion in most cases.

Agreed.

What's the mark-up for that "epic" feeling?

fiamme red
11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
A Rapha $50 jersey is $300..not really the same thing.My new favorite Rapha item:

http://www.rapha.cc/mac-softshell ($700.00)

Complete with an essay on the history of the mac:

http://www.rapha.cc/return-of-the-mac

The styling of the Mac Softshell, meanwhile, offers more than a nod to its fashion forebears. In addition to the large back vents, the jacket has stitched waistband with a metal buckle, as well as ‘cuff belts’, horn-effect buttons and a button-down storm flap. The story continues inside, with Rapha’s own take on the iconic check lining. With this latest interpretation created for all-day city riding, the trusty mac has endured quite a journey from its origins in a Victorian Glaswegian laboratory.

http://www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/2794-02.jpg

http://www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/2794-03.jpg

christian
11-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Storm flaps on single-breasted coats are the stupidest thing ever (tm).

beeatnik
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks like Rapha is trying to take over the world if they're using Garrett in their marketing:

http://mashsf.com/videos.php

They dug his no-helmet Epicness. :p

tannhauser
11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks like Rapha is trying to take over the world if they're using Garrett in their marketing:

http://mashsf.com/videos.php

They dug is no-helmet Epicness. :p

Classic cross-branding mash up (sic). Dude also works for the big S, as denoted by his ride.

That mustachioed Rapha dude also models for Nau.

Sigh. I'd be more inclined to wear what Lee Marvin wore.

Right on cue, the lower model rides some Linusian whip.

beeatnik
11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Classic cross-branding mash up (sic). Dude also works for the big S, as denoted by his ride.

That mustachioed Rapha dude also models for Nau.

Sigh. I'd be more inclined to wear what Lee Marvin wore.

Right on cue, the lower model rides some Linusian whip.

Yep, I've seen Garrett pushing Specialized's urban line, Globe. And the mustachioed (hahahaha...love that word) dude is a general manager for Linus in Venice. Story is he came out to California to pursue acting, got in with the Wolfpack Hustle crew, raced some alleycats, helped give birth to the Mudfoot crew and "found" his way into modeling. Oh, and he dates a "movie star." Who knew riding bikes and having a cool look could take you so far.

http://www.wolfpackhustle.com/viewStory.php?storyId=551

The guy is a gent and deserves all his success.