PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q re Speedplay Frog--No "click"?

NRRider
11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Just installed Frogs on my road bike and tried them out. They seem to retain the shoe just fine, and the release is fine, there's no "click" going in or out like I have with my Look Keos. Is that just how these work? You're in until you rotate your foot outward enough to release but otherwise no click letting you know you're there?

thwart
11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Depending on how stiff the rubbery 'spring' is in the cleat, there can be an almost imperceptible click in...

I have several sets of Frogs and none have the distinct 'click in' sound & sensation that I get with my Speedplay X's, for example. You get used to it, and can sense when your cleat is engaged.

Mike748
11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I get a click when engaging, but the just rotate out with no stop.

eddief
11-26-2011, 03:58 PM
but you ought to be able to force your foot forward and hear or feel a click. otherwise you are probably not strapped in as good as you could be. other Froggers suggest, especaially with somewhat worn cleats, to add some rubber under the latch of the cleat as detailed incredibly in this pdf from someplace on the net.

http://members.cox.net/lacycling/frog_surgery.pdf

love the Frogs.

Bob Ross
11-27-2011, 06:14 AM
If your only experience with "clicking in" is Keos then the Frogs will probably be imperceptible...but with new cleats there is indeed a click, it's just a really tiny click.

victoryfactory
11-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Seriously, you can feel it rather
than hear it but it's very subtle.

NRRider
11-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks all. I bought these used in great condition, which may contribute to the fact that I couldn't notice the clicking in. Will give them a try for a while and see how they work. All I've done for now is ride them up and down the street outside my house for a few minutes. Hopefully I'll e able to get a real ride in today.

Gummee
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
If you have a dip in the sole of your shoe where the rubber bumper goes, it don't help. Maybe a coke can shim right there would help firm things up a bit?

HTH

M

christian
11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
There's a very slight click and then you're in. Unless there's any mud of course. Then there's no click and you're never in! Frogs!