PDA

View Full Version : Humans are the new sheep...

Ti Designs
11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
5 years ago black friday was a term used by retailers because they knew they would have to bump up their staff and customers get ugly around that time of year. Consumers knew it was the official start of holiday shopping (according to whom I have no idea), but the term black friday wasn't used much. Now everybody has some kind of black friday sale and consumers are camped out in front of stores to purchase products that they probably don't really want anyway. If you take a step back, away from the madness of holiday shopping and really look at what's going on, you'll see there's nothing good about this.

Example: One local retailer is selling a 46" flat screen TV for $249, they have a limited number of them and the line in front of the store started 6 hours before they opened the doors at 4:00am. The product is crap. It has no model number by it's own manufacturer, it's the least expensive TV they could put in a box that will light up when you plug it in, and who knows for how long. There are no parts for this thing, no service centers, when it stops working (probably before next spring) just throw it out - and most towns now charge for disposal of LCD monitors... The same maker has a flat screen that actually works in the low $300's, it's been made for a year and has a good reliability rating. So, those people camped out in front of the store value their time at about $10/hour, and they don't value the quality of the product at all.

There are 100 people in line at the store, there must be a reason, I think I'll get in line too.

Sheep...

soulspinner
11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
You mean lemmings :bike:

crownjewelwl
11-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Is an expression that has been used a long time by retailers. It comes from finally being in the black for the year ie, profitable

Not sure why the day after t-day is officially the day but I agree it is absurd...but so are lots of things!

Some of the shoppers today may think riding thousands of miles on a bike every year is crazy too...

Here's to Amazon!

verticaldoug
11-25-2011, 06:31 PM
It's sad. So many people define themselves by consumption. Although the woman who used pepper spray to increase her odds on snagging the electronics stuff at walmart showed real initiative.

I wonder which future we are headed to: the overweight couch slugs in WALL-E, or the impoverished masses in Soylent Green.

AngryScientist
11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
eh, i think its silly, but it doesnt really bother me. people do stupid things all the time.

the good part is it was beautiful weather here today, and the wife and i agreed we would go nowhere near a shopping center today. spent the day on my bike, and at the local park walking with the dog and kiddo. it was nice.

Seramount
11-25-2011, 06:45 PM
camping out for the 'privelege' of shopping at Best Buy is pretty indicative of the state of human de-evolution.

I hate shopping, don't expect me to save the economy.

Dekonick
11-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Had a blast with my kids blowing the remaining leaves... screw BF lines... the internet has made it so last year... :rolleyes:

Cyber Monday anyone?!?

CNY rider
11-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I did some Internet shopping Wednesday evening, some more this morning.
Holiday shopping is done and I never had to get out of my pajamas.
Who knows if I could have saved a few dollars by running around at 0400 this morning.
Who really cares?
By the time those bozos lugged home their stuff from the mall I was already out on my bike enjoying the beautiful sunny day.

jr59
11-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Is an expression that has been used a long time by retailers. It comes from finally being in the black for the year ie, profitable

Not sure why the day after t-day is officially the day but I agree it is absurd...but so are lots of things!

Some of the shoppers today may think riding thousands of miles on a bike every year is crazy too...

Here's to Amazon!

This is the truth!

For the last 25 years or so it's been called black Friday!

Now it's used as a marketing theme. But it's always been called that!

dd74
11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
...and when internet sales become subject to taxation, what then?

Will this be more likely our fate?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

rnhood
11-25-2011, 07:36 PM
As the 2000 era progressed and the economy faltered, I was sure our lifestyles would change, and for the better since the era of insatiable buying would surely come to an end. But I was wrong, its now clear that things will have to get much worse before these legacy habits change. The good thing is that its good for our economy, or at least the global economy, to be buying stuff, even if its something stupid like a big TV or fashionable Rapha britches.

eddief
11-25-2011, 07:46 PM
the media is ubiquitous. the media is corporations. corporations sell stuff. there is no giant role model as is obvious by the nature of our politics and corporate money rules that too. education system failing. critical thinking is a learned skillset. on sale consumer goods advertised like all get out. what do you expect?

we are all sheep. choose a shepherd that makes cents/sense to you. that's what the Best Buy shoppers are doing.

oh yeah. kill your TV.

i think this might be too harsh the day after giving thanks. apologies.

echappist
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
so this means i shouldn't buy a new Made-in-USA rear hub for my bike? :o

that said, i've put a cap on $$$ for bike s**t next year: $400. should cover things like cassettes and chains. hopefully, my shifters won't crap out on me.

Louis
11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
People buy what they want to buy. Just because they value giant-screen TV's more than I do doesn't make them idiots, but I do wonder about the 5' 5" guy I see driving around in a Hummer.

93legendti
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
These people being dumped on just might shake the economy out of it's 3 year sleep. By all accounts 1/2 of the country shopped today. Our baby sitter manages a chain and by 5:00am her store had sold $92,000 worth of clothing. Since 70% of our economy is consumer spending, I'm glad people are willing to spend again and I am glad for the deals. I wouldn't buy a 32gb, 3G iPad for $749, but for the $399 I paid, I am happy to be posting this with the help of my new iPad. I also bought an Ibex hoodie on sale, an Eddie Bauer Microtherm Down Parka and Nomad 7 Solar Charger for 40% off (ok, that was on Wednesday - part of EB's black Friday promotion for gold card members).
To each their own.

charliedid
11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
same as it ever was

Chance
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Will we now start calling it Black Thursday since today started yesterday?

avalonracing
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I also bought an Ibex hoodie on sale, an Eddie Bauer Microtherm Down Parka and Nomad 7 Solar Charger for 40% off

93LegendTi? This can't be you... I've read a lot of your posts and I don't believe that you would use anything as "green" as solar. :D

BTW- while we are at it Black Friday is also a Steely Dan song.

93legendti
11-25-2011, 10:52 PM
93LegendTi? This can't be you... I've read a lot of your posts and I don't believe that you would use anything as "green" as solar. :D

BTW- while we are at it Black Friday is also a Steely Dan song.
There are no outlets in the desert. It's about being prepared.

Dont worry, green is still a complete scam. Solyndra?

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I went to college. I make a decent living. thank gawd I dont need to sit outside at BB for 8 hours in 45d weather to save a coupla benjamins.

KF9YR
11-26-2011, 04:07 AM
There are no outlets in the desert. It's about being prepared.

Dont worry, green is still a complete scam. Solyndra?

I took my daughter to the outlets at Anthem, AZ last night. It's certainly in the desert.

She's 11 but loves to cycle. She found a couple of jackets and a jersey she liked. No lines, but it took her an hour to decide...

sjbraun
11-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Where did you find a 32g ipad for $399?

Bob Ross
11-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I wonder which future we are headed to: the overweight couch slugs in WALL-E, or the impoverished masses in Soylent Green.

My wife insists it's the brain-dead lowering-of-the-bar of Idiocracy. That movie was supposed to be a comedy about the future, but she saw it as incredibly accurate social commentary about the present that hit the nail squarely on the head. I can't disagree.

Kontact
11-26-2011, 09:10 AM
If only we could go back to being the free thinking individualist of the Middle Ages.

Chance
11-26-2011, 09:25 AM
The most disturbing thing reported thus far was the beating of a grandfather refusing to be arrested for shoplifting when he claimed he was doing no such thing. Whether true or not it is of great concern because of the excessive force used by WalMart security (off duty police) and also because many customers may occassionally take somewhat similar actions without knowing they are doing something wrong. If wrongly accused of shoplifting my reaction may have been similar (hard to say without going through it). It’s hard to imagine any innocent law abiding person would just say “OK, you got me so take me to jail in front of my grandchild”.

So the question is: When does shoplifting become shoplifting? Honestly don’t know now.

My previous understanding (or maybe assumption) was that shoplifting had to involve trying to take an item past the registers which was a sign you were taking it home without paying for it. Unless it was something very obvious like hidden pockets under a dress or something like that.

But if a customer places items in a large pocket or some form of carry bag while shopping around inside store to keep hands free (particularly when carts are not practical) does it become shoplifting at that time even before he goes out the door? :confused:

JMerring
11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
These people being dumped on just might shake the economy out of it's 3 year sleep.

Hopefully not. We need to find a way out of this morass without resorting to buying more crap we don't need with money we don't have. Rampant consumerism is unequivocally not a good thing.

thwart
11-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Where did you find a 32g ipad for $399?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC496LL/A

Ahneida Ride
11-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Yup the sheeple ... in all activities.

You belong to Party A or Party B and blindly follow the leader.

Thanksgiving is about my Family.
Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ.

The insatiable Greed for profits won't affect my behavior.

toaster
11-26-2011, 10:02 AM
This Black Friday crap makes me rather ride my bike than get in lines with sheep consumers.

That's what I did, rode my bike. Whatever I need (not just want because it's on sale) I can buy on my schedule.

gone
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
The most disturbing thing reported thus far was the beating of a grandfather refusing to be arrested for shoplifting when he claimed he was doing no such thing.
I feel a lawsuit coming on...

Ralph
11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
And "cyber Monday" is coming. Wonder what NASHBAR has cooking? (I don't care)

Around here.....we have "small business Saturday" now. I'm taking some family business to a participating local Pizza joint tonight. If I lived in Boulder.....would see what Old Patatoe has I need to stock up on. Cables, wire, tubes, handle bar tape, Jersey, etc. I would rather participate by spending a little locally. And I could probably do that in the middle if the day. My wife got me up at 4:30 AM to go buy some 99 cent Poinsettias at HD Friday AM. UGH....

rugbysecondrow
11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
There is a HUGE aspect lacking in this discussion and that is the social/fellowship aspect that takes place. Many people that I know who shop on BF do so with friends and/or family. Sure, the deals are there but it seems more about communing while participating in this activity rather than the activity itself. There is a sheep aspect, but less so than you might believe.

eddief
11-26-2011, 12:21 PM
think of it as well run offense, defense, special teams :).

There is a HUGE aspect lacking in this discussion and that is the social/fellowship aspect that takes place. Many people that I know who shop on BF do so with friends and/or family. Sure, the deals are there but it seems more about communing while participating in this activity rather than the activity itself. There is a sheep aspect, but less so than you might believe.

slowandsteady
11-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I did some Internet shopping Wednesday evening, some more this morning.
Holiday shopping is done and I never had to get out of my pajamas.
Who knows if I could have saved a few dollars by running around at 0400 this morning.
Who really cares?
By the time those bozos lugged home their stuff from the mall I was already out on my bike enjoying the beautiful sunny day.

Bellissimo!!! Could not have said it better.

clyde the point
11-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I had a nice 3.5 hour bike ride with only a few traffic lights. Most of the "traffic" was either shopping or at work, and off the roads. Thanks!

rugbysecondrow
11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
think of it as well run offense, defense, special teams :).

Agreed :beer:

oldpotatoe
11-27-2011, 04:18 PM
And "cyber Monday" is coming. Wonder what NASHBAR has cooking? (I don't care)

Around here.....we have "small business Saturday" now. I'm taking some family business to a participating local Pizza joint tonight. If I lived in Boulder.....would see what Old Patatoe has I need to stock up on. Cables, wire, tubes, handle bar tape, Jersey, etc. I would rather participate by spending a little locally. And I could probably do that in the middle if the day. My wife got me up at 4:30 AM to go buy some 99 cent Poinsettias at HD Friday AM. UGH....

Thanks Ralph, I do appreciate the plug.

See 'Linus bike' thread, no good deed goes unpunished.

beeatnik
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks Ralph, I do appreciate the plug.

See 'Linus bike' thread, no good deed goes unpunished.

Yikes! Then passing along that ebay link will lead to further persecution.

;)

Pete Serotta
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Yikes! Then passing along that ebay link will lead to further persecution.

;)

He has diplomatic immunity.... ;)

Chance
11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I feel a lawsuit coming on...
Wouldn’t you think it depends largely on who was “legally” right and who was wrong? Maybe that’s something that varies by state or city. Honestly don’t know what the law actually requires from involved parties (shopper versus store/corporation vs. arresting officer/security agent). It’s a little creepy that some of us could have been doing something unintentional that could land us in jail with a criminal record due to ignorance regarding legal technicalities.

BTW, if claimed madness can be shown to be related to the excessive crowd then it's reasonable to assume the store has some responsibility for not controlling the situation a little better.

benb
11-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Is it any different then waiting in line for years to buy very expensive bicycles?

This entire forum could be conceived to basically be about buying as many bicycles as one can afford when no one really needs a new one every year or needs 10 so they have a different one for every possible type of ride.

I hate the whole black friday thing but it is really funny to see it discussed here.

Ti Designs
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Is it any different then waiting in line for years to buy very expensive bicycles?

Yeh, that does sound kinda stupid...

Seott-e
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Sheeple