PDA

View Full Version : Bike therapy

merlinmurph
11-25-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't know how many times I felt crappy, forced myself to jump on the bike, and finished the ride feeling much better than when I started.

I had a slight cold all week and stayed off the bike. Wife and I went out for a walk this morning as the weather is gorgeous, but when I got back, I had a headache and felt like crap. Took some head drugs, laid low for about 2 hours, then decided to try a ride.

I took out the IF 'cross bike I felt better in about 1/2 mile of riding. I'm sure it helps that we had yet another gorgeous fall day here in the NE with temps ~55. My whole attitude changed in the first few miles and it was great to be out.

Ended up riding thru "desirable North Framingham" (as the real estate agents call it), rode some trails at Callahan SP, and ended the ride cutting thru Hopkinton SP. The sun was getting low and the light was gorgeous - call phone camera (and user) can't do it justice.

Some pics:
Callahan
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac62/merlinmurph/Bikes%20and%20rides/1125111430_x.jpg

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac62/merlinmurph/Bikes%20and%20rides/1125111430a_x.jpg

Hopkinton
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac62/merlinmurph/Bikes%20and%20rides/1125111534_x.jpg

FWIW, I am digging this cross bike.
Murph

Fixed
11-25-2011, 05:32 PM
i rode on grass today for an hour .

.i have the munches :)
cheers :beer:

AngryScientist
11-25-2011, 06:12 PM
i'm with ya murph. woke up in a daze from yesterdays festivities. felt awful for the first few miles, then magically came back to life. its good to "sweat it out" sometimes. :beer:

phcollard
11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
...but when I got back, I had a headache and felt like crap. Took some head drugs, laid low for about 2 hours, then decided to try a ride.

Sounds like me at least once a week. Headaches and stuff. Out for a ride and realize that bikes can really change life... much better than pills :)

I'm happy for you that you had such a nice ride under such a nice sky!

Louis
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Endorphins. :)

Nice pics.

cmg
11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
cool. yea, i'm always amazed how much better feel after a ride.

learningtoride
11-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Fixed
11-26-2011, 03:59 PM
i am going through much the same thing , you are not alone
solace = a nice ride
cheers

clyde the point
11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah I've tried this several times in the last week, attempting to shake a cold. The cold won't shake, but me heart will as I work these central ohio foothills (ha!) with gusto.

I agree the bike is better and more results-producing than any type of psychotherapy.

learningtoride
11-27-2011, 02:25 AM

learningtoride
11-27-2011, 02:44 AM

maxn
11-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Nice! Looks like a great ride

avalonracing
11-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Wife and I went out for a walk this morning but when I got back, I had a headache and felt like crap.

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Ordinary Bikes
11-28-2011, 07:08 AM
I would be having the worst day ever and it all goes away when I ride...

Fixed
11-28-2011, 07:33 AM
doc gave me anti depressants ,
i said how long till they work ?
he said 6 weeks
side effects include suicide.
i said a nice ride works faster
cheers

phcollard
11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
OT but try St John's Wort Fixed. Nature gave it to us, no side effects, and no addiction. Works wonders for mild seasonal blues. And of course try to go out and ride :)

Joachim
11-28-2011, 07:50 AM
OT but try St John's Wort Fixed. Nature gave it to us, no side effects, and no addiction. Works wonders for mild seasonal blues. And of course try to go out and ride :)

St John's Wort has numerous interactions with certain perscription and OTC medications making them either less effective or potentiating them (also not a good idea), these include antidepressants, antihistamines, digoxin, autoimmune drugs, reserpine, sedatives, statins etc....

phcollard
11-28-2011, 08:04 AM
St John's Wort has numerous interactions with certain perscription and OTC medications making them either less effective or potentiating them (also not a good idea), these include antidepressants, antihistamines, digoxin, autoimmune drugs, reserpine, sedatives, statins etc....

Yes of course it does. It's not because it's a plant that it's not without interactions. Sorry I forgot to say that. What I was saying is (for me at least) it works better than synthetic drugs without any of the side effects for the seasonal mood disorder (I tried 4 of them... total nightmare).

Edit and disclaimer : Ask your doctor. And if you take St John's Wort and happen to end in an emergency room one day please tell them. I am not a doctor. I am not a pharmacist. Just trying to give a bit of advise based on personal experience. Don't shoot me. :)

Joachim
11-28-2011, 08:16 AM
It's not about shooting you. It's about giving advice (personal or professional) without additional facts that could lead to dangerous situations. This is not about Campy vs Shimano :). Sure you forgot, my apologies, my comment was in no way meant to offend you. I am a pharmacologist and I often see statements about drugs that contain only partial information. The last thing anyone wants is someone buying some Johns Wort after this, and taking it with his statins or digoxin. How many people read the label of their prescription medications AFTER they bought OTC products? Not a lot.

phcollard
11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
It's not about shooting you. It's about giving advice (personal or professional) without additional facts that could lead to dangerous situations. This is not about Campy vs Shimano :). Sure you forgot, my apologies, my comment was in no way meant to offend you. I am a pharmacologist and often I see statements about drugs that only contain partial information. The last thing anyone wants is someone going buying some Johns Wort, and taking it with his statins or digoxin. How many people read the label of their prescription medications AFTER they bought OTC products? Not a lot.

You're right Joachim. No offense taken. I admit this is a serious subject that must be taken lightly. Back to Shimano vs Campy now :)

Joachim
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I just reviewed a paper for a scientific journal that showed the beneficial effects of exercise during adolescence later in life (adulthood). There are quite a bit out there on exercise and antidepressant actions. This makes it easy to justify nice frame purchases.

tv_vt
11-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Hope you're doing OK, bro. Sorry to hear about it being rough lately.

Things will get better.

Hey, how was the Miles tribute band?

TV

Fixed
11-28-2011, 10:58 AM
thanks for the suggestions , a big fat tire bike i can ride even when i am dizzy
is my medicine

tv_vt ,
the miles show was great like a n.y.c. jazz show
now i am waiting for wynton marsalis and the lincoln jazz center big band .they are coming soon .
cheers