PDA

View Full Version : Pedal suggestions?

a4racer
11-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Hello all, I am working my way back to road bikes after a long lay-off. Building up an Atlanta here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99729) and realized, I have no pedals.

I've been a mountain guy for the longest time, and have made the switch there to Egg Beaters almost exclusively. I like them because they are nice and light, easy engagement / disengagement and they shed mud. At least two latter factors don't apply as much for road, I believe. So, I'm opening this thread up in the hopes that you folks can give me some advice as to what kind of pedals to get? The build is going to be 7900, so the DA pedals might look pretty cool, I hear they get decent reviews as well. I like the concept and look behind the Look Keo carbon blades, but they appear to be ungodly expensive.

I suppose I'll have to get road shoes too--although I'm paranoid about slipping and sliding on the carbon and/or smooth soles (done that MORE than a few times)...

Thanks all! :D

pitcrew
11-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll vote for the 7900 pedals. I really like my SPD-SL pedals (7900, or other level Shimano pedal). Easy to use.

vqdriver
11-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I say try the crank bros on your roadie. Unless you get hot spots there's little advantage to road only pedals. And even that's mostly addressed by shoes.

a4racer
11-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Dumb question, but does a larger pedal platform matter that much in road? I know it matters less in mountain, in favour of other things (mud shedding, easy in / out), but is platform important for road--especially if you get a good quality stiff soled road shoe?

rice rocket
11-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I went w/ the 7810 pedals.

They're identical to the 7900 pedals in every way, shape, and form, except they're aluminum bodied. Better for me probably because I tend to be clumsy with my bike and drop it. :rolleyes:

I got my set on eBay, lightly used with cleats for $100 shipped.

AngryScientist
11-25-2011, 03:29 PM
the price for entry is steep for 7900 pedals IMO, and from what I understand the 6700 and even 5700 pedals are every bit as good, so you may want to start there.

that said, i think pretty much all of the road pedal systems are very good. they will each take a little getting used to getting in and out, and how they feel, etc.

i personally use speedplay zero's on all of my road bikes, and love them. one thing to consider is float, zeros are infinitely adjustable in the float department, right down to zero. i like the "tight" feel and have almost all of the float dialed out of mine, but for some with knee (and other) issues, the float of zeros is invaluable.

time's iclik (or however its spelled) are getting pretty good reviews, and LOOK has always had a good and reliable system.

it's really just about choosing one, and going with it i think, unless you have some specific anatomical needs, i dont think there is really a bad choice.

good luck!

Birddog
11-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Stay with the eggbeaters. It's really nice having pedals for road and mtn that are compatible. but does a larger pedal platform matter that much in road? I've heard shop personel go on and on with this line. It's BS IM O. Most of the stiff soled road shoes negate the platform argument. The super stiff CF soles surely do. Try it first and see if you like them.

a4racer
11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Stay with the eggbeaters. It's really nice having pedals for road and mtn that are compatible. I've heard shop personel go on and on with this line. It's BS IM O. Most of the stiff soled road shoes negate the platform argument. The super stiff CF soles surely do. Try it first and see if you like them.
I may do this for now--I have the nice two-ti egg beaters, waiting for my new MTB to arrive in March, and frankly, if I can avoid the cost of new shoes for a season, I'd be happy to ride with my MTB shoes (to the laughter, I'm sure, of some, hahaha!)

Beans
11-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I like the shimano 7900 and 6700 pedals. I crank up the tension to max and they feel so secure out of the saddle when compared to the speedplay zero and x pedals I used to own. The main difference in pedals is of course the carbon body but the DAs use different bearings

m.skeen
11-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I say try the crank bros on your roadie. Unless you get hot spots there's little advantage to road only pedals. And even that's mostly addressed by shoes.

This. Throw some eggbeaters on your Atlanta and ride.

rice rocket
11-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the shimano 7900 and 6700 pedals. I crank up the tension to max and they feel so secure out of the saddle when compared to the speedplay zero and x pedals I used to own. The main difference in pedals is of course the carbon body but the DAs use different bearings

The Dura-Aces have a lower Q-factor and lower stack height if you are to believe the internet. Still haven't pinned down solid numbers on them though, other than "lower".

Birddog
11-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd be happy to ride with my MTB shoes (to the laughter, I'm sure, of some, hahaha!)
Let em laugh. It's nice to be able to walk normally. I've thought seriously about modifying some Mtn bike shoes with a belt sander(sand the lugs down to just above the cleat level) and going full time with those and eggbeaters. Small weight penalty but that won't affect my performance by much.

jr59
11-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I may do this for now--I have the nice two-ti egg beaters, waiting for my new MTB to arrive in March, and frankly, if I can avoid the cost of new shoes for a season, I'd be happy to ride with my MTB shoes (to the laughter, I'm sure, of some, hahaha!)

Just ride off the front and you won't hear them laughing! :D

It won't matter, so use the egg beaters. Besides Sidi makes a MTB shoe that looks like a road shoe.

Ken Robb
11-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I gave up on carbon sole road shoes and road pedals. They were great on the bike but so awful off the bike that I use eggbeaters and mtn. bike shoes instead on a couple of bikes, combo flat on one side/SPD on the other and mtn. bike shoes on another bike, and flat pedals on some others.

Obviously I don't mind looking fred-like. :)

I wonder why some folks get hot spots when they ride in Mtn. shoes on the road but not when they ride the same shoes off-road. I think I pedal just as hard on and off road. Maybe we get to rest our feet while we pick ourselves up after ANOTHER mtn. bike crash. :rolleyes:

rice rocket
11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I gave up on carbon sole road shoes and road pedals. They were great on the bike but so awful off the bike that I use eggbeaters and mtn. bike shoes instead on a couple of bikes, combo flat on one side/SPD on the other and mtn. bike shoes on another bike, and flat pedals on some others.

They make carbon mtb shoes... :)

DRZRM
11-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Seriously, find some Sidi Dragon II (or whatever carbon sole shoe fits best, but the Sidis are on sale a bunch of places, I think Colorado Cyclist has them for just over $200) to run with your eggbeaters and I dare you to get a hot spot.

swg
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
This. Throw some eggbeaters on your Atlanta and ride.

+1

I ride Crank Bros. on an Atlanta so the two must go together:) Have used their road pedal and Candy with my road shoes. I set up my daughter with the same SIDI shoes but their MTB version and Candy pedals. Nice to be able to walk around.

BdaGhisallo
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I was a long time spd-sl pedal user. I am on Keywin CRM pedals now and I highly recommend them. They are the best pedal I have ever used.

They have a new version coming out soon.

Fixed
11-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Hello all, I am working my way back to road bikes after a long lay-off. Building up an Atlanta here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99729) and realized, I have no pedals.

I've been a mountain guy for the longest time, and have made the switch there to Egg Beaters almost exclusively. I like them because they are nice and light, easy engagement / disengagement and they shed mud. At least two latter factors don't apply as much for road, I believe. So, I'm opening this thread up in the hopes that you folks can give me some advice as to what kind of pedals to get? The build is going to be 7900, so the DA pedals might look pretty cool, I hear they get decent reviews as well. I like the concept and look behind the Look Keo carbon blades, but they appear to be ungodly expensive.

I suppose I'll have to get road shoes too--although I'm paranoid about slipping and sliding on the carbon and/or smooth soles (done that MORE than a few times)...

Thanks all! :D

i use crank bros on all my bikes now
when i raced i used looks fixed though
cheers

split
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Stay with the eggbeaters. It's really nice having pedals for road and mtn that are compatible. I've heard shop personel go on and on with this line. It's BS IM O. Most of the stiff soled road shoes negate the platform argument. The super stiff CF soles surely do. Try it first and see if you like them.

Another vote for egg beaters. I like my shoes (mtn) and use them for both mtn and road bikes. I don't see any reason for a delineation between road or mountain; my feet stay clipped in when biking.

Nooch
11-25-2011, 08:00 PM
If you want to keep the eggbeaters but get some road shoes down the line (for the stiffness factor) you can always get the crank brothers 3 hole cleats: http://www.crankbrothers.com/accessories_3hole_cleat.php

binouye
11-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I tried (cheap, not Ti) egg beaters and they didn't work well for me, so I went back to Shimano spds for my bikes. For the road bike I use the A600 single-singled spds with a larger platform, and the same Sidi shoes I use for MTB and cross. The A600 spds are lighter than XTs and also lower profile, especially on the bottom side, so you are less likely to clip a pedal in a corner too (I have a low BB on the road frame).
If you're already invested in egg beaters I know you're not going to switch over, but if anyone else is thinking about similar questions but already has XT or M540 spds on their other bikes, I'll pass along a personal vote for A600s on the road and being able to wear walkable shoes.

ts0673
11-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Love my Speedplay X2s

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
road shoes lighter than mtb shoes.

if you can afford both, spd-sl....sit at the coffee shop on a wet day and watch all the speedplay, look and time guys slip all over the sidewalk. not so with spd-sl

xeladragon
11-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Cleat covers... at least for Speedplays.

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Cleat covers... at least for Speedplays.
no thanks to the 40 grams and the hassle

Kirk Pacenti
11-26-2011, 08:02 AM
MTB shoes and Time ATAC pedals for all my rides...

Cheers,

KP

thwart
11-26-2011, 10:49 AM
no thanks to the 40 grams and the hassle
I've found it's best to remove them before riding... and 40 gms in my back pocket isn't going to slow me down too much.

That said, lately for me it's pretty much Frogs all the time. I've gotten really spoiled by walking normally when off the bike. Maybe 5 rides this season in road shoes & X-1's.

So I'd say go ahead and stick with the Egg Beaters if you like 'em.

NRRider
11-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm about to switch from Look Keos to the Speedplay Frogs, just because I want the walkability and the Frogs seem like a good two-hole-cleat (SPD style) pedal to use for the road.
If I were you I would at least try the Eggbeaters for a while and see if they work for you.
There are some really nice MTB shoes out there, including the Dragons and S-Works (both of which are ridiculously expense, at least when purchased new), Dominators (still expensive but not as much as the Dragons) and many others. I bought a slightly used pair of Scott Team MTB on Ebay since I wanted to try the "Boa" system but have not used them yet.

mossman
11-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I highly recommend Shimano A600s for SPD/road-use. Very lightweight (as lightweight as Dura-Ace road pedals), flat platform, tension adjustability, and spd-walkability.

prometheus20
11-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I agree with those who say its perfectly fine to ride MTN pedals on a road bike. I started out with 520 SPD's then "upgraded" to trying Look, Campy and Speedplay at various times. I found that the cleats either wore out quickly, the shoes (cleats prodruding) were terribly awkward to walk in, or both. Now I ride XTR pedals on the road. I like their simplicity, the fact that the bottom of my shoe allows normal walking when I stop to go into a store or whatever, and the advantage of not needing one pair of shoes for the road and one for the mountain bike. the cleats last a long time and there's enough float. As long as the weight is reasonable there's no reason not to ride MTN bike pedals on a road rig. So if you like your Egg Beaters on the trail, why not ride them on the road?

clyde the point
11-27-2011, 05:37 AM
6700's. Road pedals for road bikes, and mtb pedals for mtb and cross. I can afford it so why not? Little itty bitty cleat on mtb pedals drives me nutz on the road. I'm over 100 kilos and that makes a difference.

Welcome back to the road bike.

veloduffer
11-27-2011, 07:01 AM

I use mtb shoes and pedals (Shimano SPD type) on all my road, cross and mtb bikes - it's easier to have one set of shoes and pedal types. Nobody will make fun of you, especially if you're faster than they are. :p

I used to have road shoes (and Speedplay pedals), but many mtb shoes are very close in weight and have solid carbon platforms for stiffness. I prefer the ability to walk.

dgauthier
11-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Dumb question, but does a larger pedal platform matter that much in road? I know it matters less in mountain, in favour of other things (mud shedding, easy in / out), but is platform important for road--especially if you get a good quality stiff soled road shoe?

For me, the larger platform made a *huge* difference. When I switched from SPD's to Time Impacts, the larger platform on the Time's allowed so much more energy transfer into the pedals my typical 90 minute loop dropped to 75 minutes. The low stack height feels great as well, especially when standing, and the cleats are very walkable. I would never ride a road bike without road pedals again.

As far as sole stiffness goes, remember that no shoe is infinitely stiff. No matter how stiff and solid your soles are, they are going to feel even better with a large platform supporting them.

Pedal choice is just as personal as your choice of saddle or bib shorts. When you're ready, your friendly neighborhood LBS should let you try a few different pedal brands on a trainer. Pick the one that feels best to you.