PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion about Campy Crank "Q" and Chain Line

Ralph
11-25-2011, 06:53 AM
In my parts box.....I have an almost new very nice 2006 Chorus 2006 Crankset which I would like to use again. But with just a tad more Q and clearance (don't want to use a spacer) for 39 tooth ring. This crankset normally uses the Record or Chorus symetrical 102 MM ISO tapered BB.

I notice Phll Wood makes a 105 MM symetrical ISO BB that would give a tad more Q. It would also move the chainline out 1.5 MM, which I could live with. Anyone ever done this?

ultraman6970
11-25-2011, 07:42 AM
It will work just fine if you need more clearance, but as for, Q 1.5 mm i think is too low but if that's what u think it will work go ahead, probably moving the cleats tiny bit or even good insoles could get your more aligned than 1.5 mm out IMO.

The clearance problem is clear but whats the problem with the Q?? hip pain or something?

Ralph
11-25-2011, 08:59 AM
One of my bikes has a Record Triple, which has wide Q. Just trying to get the bikes a little closer together in "feel". And sure I can fool around with pedal spacers, cleats, etc. My Look Keo 2's have long pedal bolts. But generally I just grab a bike and ride, don't want to mess with stuff. Need a BB anyway. The Phil BB's alllow a little side to side centering also.

Pete Serotta
11-25-2011, 09:09 AM
with running campy double verses triple.....with a Q difference and with my legs.

Over the years, I have not known anyone with a problem with it...but. SMiley, OldPotatoe and some others with much more experience and knowledge than I would be who I would listen to.

PETE

oldpotatoe
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
One of my bikes has a Record Triple, which has wide Q. Just trying to get the bikes a little closer together in "feel". And sure I can fool around with pedal spacers, cleats, etc. My Look Keo 2's have long pedal bolts. But generally I just grab a bike and ride, don't want to mess with stuff. Need a BB anyway. The Phil BB's alllow a little side to side centering also.

I think in a blind test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. PLUS with enough RH movement of the crank arm, you may adversely effect FD action.

I rode a C-Record with 1/4 inch longer SP spindles and a Modern Record with standard SP, they were different but felt the same.