PDA

View Full Version : poof!

Climb01742
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
it appears instead of closing objectionable threads, they now simply vanish...without comment. the french thread has vanished. as has my marketing BS thread. i'm not complaining. just observing. is there a trapdoor somewhere? ;)

JohnS
07-31-2005, 03:34 PM
it appears instead of closing objectionable threads, they now simply vanish...without comment. the french thread has vanished. as has my marketing BS thread. i'm not complaining. just observing. is there a trapdoor somewhere? ;)
It's when members start vanishing that we should be afraid. Where's Sandy been anyways? He always has been one of the most objectionable members here! :D

Bill Bove
07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
A new sherriff in town :confused:

dirtdigger88
07-31-2005, 04:02 PM
no new sherriff- james was logged on around 11 am today- :cool:

Jason

Ozz
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
It's when members start vanishing that we should be afraid. Where's Sandy been anyways? He always has been one of the most objectionable members here! :D
Maybe just a warning to check the attitude at the keyboard!

dave thompson
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Maybe just a warning to check the attitude at the keyboard!
Damn good idea!

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
. . . but I have to confess that it rubs me the wrong way to have threads simply vanish. I certainly understand that sometimes things get out of control and the sheriff has to do his job, but it would seem to me to be much more positive in a PR and community sense to delete the thread contents, leave the title, and post something like “This thread has been deleted by the administrator due to conflict with the forum guidelines.” Simply making things vanish comes across as a bit high-handed. Of course, there’s also the possibility that the bulletin board software doesn’t give him any options except to lock it or delete the whole thing.

Just my two cents worth, Sheriff James . . .

BBDave

Serpico
07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
. . . but I have to confess that it rubs me the wrong way to have threads simply vanish. I certainly understand that sometimes things get out of control and the sheriff has to do his job, but it would seem to me to be much more positive in a PR and community sense to delete the thread contents, leave the title, and post something like “This thread has been deleted by the administrator due to conflict with the forum guidelines.” Simply making things vanish comes across as a bit high-handed. Of course, there’s also the possibility that the bulletin board software doesn’t give him any options except to lock it or delete the whole thing.

Just my two cents worth, Sheriff James . . .

BBDave

Yeah, transparency is always good--but it inevitably generates more chatter than it resolves.

There would be several "Why did James kill that thread" threads, etc.

This place isn't big enough to have 5-10 full-time mods regulating things, I would guess James figures "walking softly but carrying a big stick" is the best way for a single person to mod. Generally let people self moderate, but when things get clearly out of hand--drop the bomb, rinse and repeat once every six months.

Let's be grateful for the self-moderation this board allows, and take note when James feels the need to step in (which is rare).

Kevin
07-31-2005, 06:55 PM
It's when members start vanishing that we should be afraid. :D

What happened to the lights? Its awful dark in here. Guys? Anybody out there? Hello.

Why hello Mr. Hoffa. What are you listening to on your Walkman? How did you get the missing 28 minutes of the Watergate tapes?

Somebody open the trap door.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
07-31-2005, 07:57 PM
What happened to the lights? Its awful dark in here. Guys? Anybody out there? Hello.

Why hello Mr. Hoffa. What are you listening to on your Walkman? How did you get the missing 28 minutes of the Watergate tapes?

Somebody open the trap door.

Kevin

im sorry does someone hear something. . . some faint noise off in the distance. . . by the way what ever happend to that Kevin guy- I always did like him. . .then poof- he just quit coming around. . . weird, isnt it?????

Jason

e-RICHIE
07-31-2005, 08:07 PM
poof?

another gay vague thread?

dave thompson
07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Are you a poofter?

dirtdigger88
07-31-2005, 08:22 PM
POOFIE

Jason

vandeda
07-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Is it like a chessy poof? I like cheesy poofs ... they're yummy

dan

csb
07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Is it like a chessy poof? I like cheesy poofs ... they're yummy

dan

reminds me of the joke where a guy visits his doctor and
complains that his thing(e) has turned orange...

Louis
07-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Are you a poofter?

Here you go, Bruce:

No, right, I'Il just wanna remind you of the faculty rules.
Rule one - no pooftahs.
Rule two - no member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abbos in any way a'all, if there's anyone watching.
Rule three - no pooftahs.
Rule four - now, this time I don't want to catch anybody not drinking.
Rule five - no pooftahs.
Rule six - there is noooo rule six.
Rule seven - no pooftahs.
Right, that concludes the reading of the rules, Bruce.

Bruce K
07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Are you talkin' to ME? :cool:

Are YOU talkin' to ME?! :no:

BK

Keith A
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
It's when members start vanishing that we should be afraid. So that's what happened to me. One minute I was here typing out a reply to the Serotta Forum, and the next thing I know -- I'm gone :D It took more than a week for me to find my way back.

Ginger
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
The total disappearance thing works for me. Why bother leaving trace of an objectionable thread? That leads to 10 pages of wasted bandwidth wondering where the thread got to...

Just like this...

POOF

Hey...I miss Sandy

or is that Miss Sandy?

We missed you to Keith.

Serotta_James
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
In fact I twice warned everyone to behave.

These warnings were obviously not taken seriously. Plus, the French thread was an abomination and didn't deserve to live any more.

While I'm here, I should let you all know that I have had a record number of complaints in the past few weeks. More than that, I have had several people call me and request to be taken off of the forum permanently because they felt uncomfortable even being on here. This hasn't happened before in my time here, and I am unaware of it ever happening when Aly was in charge.
Needless to say, it isn't acceptable.

I strive to be hands-off and let this forum run as it will, but I cannot tolerate antogonistic behavior the likes of which I have encountered recently. Such displays are antithetical to the nature of this forum and personal decency.

You may all consider this a blanket warning for the future.
For my part I promise to uphold the user agreement and also to not simply delete threads without explanation from now on.
Know that I will be dealing with personal attacks and defamation in a far more direct manner than in the past. The fact is that there are small number of users that are the cause of diminished enjoyment for a larger number of users. This is wrong and I won't tolerate it any longer.

I will be closing this thread behind me, because I don't want this to be the cause of any escalated discussion. Feel free to contact me with questions or comments. They will be welcomed.

James