View Full Version : rapha black friday code

crownjewelwl
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
15% off

BLACKFR11

go crazy!

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
. . . instead of paying $30 for a cotton bandana I can get for $3 at Wal-Mart, I can get one from Rapha that only costs $25.50.

Nice.

BBD

christian
11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
If they have it in stock, the Competitive Cyclist 20% off code will result in cheaper prices.

crownjewelwl
11-23-2011, 12:25 PM
If they have it in stock, the Competitive Cyclist 20% off code will result in cheaper prices.

what's the cc code??

crownjewelwl
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
. . . instead of paying $30 for a cotton bandana I can get for $3 at Wal-Mart, I can get one from Rapha that only costs $25.50.

Nice.

BBD

but the rapha bandana smells like the flowers on ventoux

christian
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
HOL20 good for the next three days.

crownjewelwl
11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
sweet...thx

akelman
11-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Nice.

BBD

Awesome moderation, Dave.

christian
11-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Awesome moderation, Dave.Just because he moderates, he can't contribute (obviously non-official) opinions? Should we force him to get two logins? :)

akelman
11-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I was actually serious. It cracks me up when the mods stir the pot. It's like when a blogger trolls his own blog.

CNY rider
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Just because he moderates, he can't contribute (obviously non-official) opinions? Should we force him to get two logins? :)

Yes his alter ego should log in as Evil BBD!

Lovetoclimb
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I am at the point where receiving an unsolicited Rapha email gives me a sinking feeling. The knowledge that I will now be able to "justify" purchasing something because I am saving $10-30 :hello:

Elefantino
11-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Would happiness be to have lots of Rapha and not worry about coupon codes?

Johny
11-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes his alter ego should log in as Evil BBD!

Good thing he logins in as Angel BBD when we ride with him on our Rapha's.

CNY rider
11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Actually Rapha with 15% off and free shipping is pretty close or better than CC with 20% off and expensive shipping.

christian
11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Actually Rapha with 15% off and free shipping is pretty close or better than CC with 20% off and expensive shipping.
Not when CC has some of the Rapha stuff already on sale at 60% or less of MSRP and allow stacking the code on sale items. You aren't going to get a $72 club jersey on the Rapha site no matter what you do.

Charles M
11-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Nice.

BBD

:hello:

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2011, 02:38 PM
. . . of African hair sheep leather (of course!) that usually go for $170, now for only $144.50 are gonna be schweeeet, too! :butt:

Evil BBD

crownjewelwl
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
. . . of African hair sheep leather (of course!) that usually go for $170, now for only $144.50 are gonna be schweeeet, too! :butt:

Evil BBD

I'm not afraid to admit I owns those...but I didnt pay anything close to $144.50 for them!

Louis
11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I want a Nepalese sweater.

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
. . . now ONLY $14.87!

The Rapha bidon has an ergonomic grip and slides easily in and out of your bike’s bottle cage. The bidon is made from a squeezable plastic, allowing riders to hydrate quickly and efficiently and the nozzle is soft and comfortable. The lid flips open for easy filling and can also be unscrewed for cleaning.

It's squeezable plastic! Wow! :eek:

Evil BBD

CNY rider
11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Not when CC has some of the Rapha stuff already on sale at 60% or less of MSRP and allow stacking the code on sale items. You aren't going to get a $72 club jersey on the Rapha site no matter what you do.

True, I was just doing the math on the bibs that I wanted. :beer:

CNY rider
11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
. . . now ONLY $14.87!

The Rapha bidon has an ergonomic grip and slides easily in and out of your bike’s bottle cage. The bidon is made from a squeezable plastic, allowing riders to hydrate quickly and efficiently and the nozzle is soft and comfortable. The lid flips open for easy filling and can also be unscrewed for cleaning.

It's squeezable plastic! Wow! :eek:

Evil BBD

Hey don't forget the ergonomic grip.

Lovetoclimb
11-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Nice.

BBD

Come now, its an EPIC silk scarf. What makes it so EPIC you may ask? How about the fact that the silk is harvested from the subterranean Himalayan silk worm . . . and only 3 porters in the region have the courage and skill to brave those caves . . .

beeatnik
11-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Yep.

I was worried that I'd see a PSA in the Classifieds when CC sent out the email blast last week, but nothing :cool: Guessing no one wanted to share the wealth. I was tempted to buy a bunch of jerseys, wear them for a few rides then flip them on here for $90 - $100. I keed, I keed.

As for the 20% code, on $210 bibs, that's a $42 discount and $9.99 shipping. So it's essentially a 15% discount but you can always add a few tubes and chamois cream, with free shipping on those items and no sales tax :banana:

rice rocket
11-24-2011, 12:07 AM

But CC won't replace/repair it for free when you crash!

Rapha's bib short prices aren't totally out of line, and if I get a good coupon discount + lifetime crash policy on it, that actually makes it worth it.

tylercheung
11-24-2011, 12:59 AM
even better, the Gore jerseys are well south of $100!

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2011, 07:10 AM
But CC won't replace/repair it for free when you crash!

Rapha's bib short prices aren't totally out of line, and if I get a good coupon discount + lifetime crash policy on it, that actually makes it worth it.

. . . many people like their bibs and compared to many other makers these days,. the price isn't out of line. But that's the only "reasonably" priced thing I see on their web site. Most of the rest is totally over the top. Gotta give 'em credit, though, for having some "hardwomen" pictured on their site.

BTW, Lovetoclimb, I was talking about the cotton bandana. If you want the silk, though, I think that was $70 so you can still get a deal . . .only $59.50! Wow! :D

BBD

corky
11-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Assos pries are even higher..... and little to nothing in the way of discounts so why they ever picked on? can't get over the marketing?

No mention of Raphas 'size down' offer? (check out their site)...... no one else in the industry doing anything like this to my knowledge.

it must be that time of year for a Rapha slagfest..... pile on boys!

oldpotatoe
11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Assos pries are even higher..... and little to nothing in the way of discounts so why they ever picked on? can't get over the marketing?

No mention of Raphas 'size down' offer? (check out their site)...... no one else in the industry doing anything like this to my knowledge.

it must be that time of year for a Rapha slagfest..... pile on boys!

Yep, it's kinda like the stuff about Chinese copies of Pinarellos...iffa you don't like 'it', vote with your wallet. It's just clothes you wear when you play with your toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuJ1WqmS_8

pitcrew
11-24-2011, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Lovetoclimb]Come now, its an EPIC silk scarf. What makes it so EPIC you may ask?QUOTE]

I thought it was the EPIC price...

corky
11-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Nice.

BBD

as far as i know Wal-Mart doesn't sponser race teams, organize rides for joe public, promote races, put on film nights, have dedicated cycling stores to hang out, produce a dedicated magazine, publish book on cycling..... in fact I think they don't neccassarily give a rats arse about cycling.

but its your money.....

tiretrax
11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
+1000

I don't see a reason for all the hate of a company that does all those things. They've made wool cool again, too.

gdw
11-24-2011, 10:00 AM
"as far as i know Wal-Mart doesn't sponser race teams, organize rides for joe public, promote races, put on film nights, have dedicated cycling stores to hang out, produce a dedicated magazine, publish book on cycling.....
'

Rapha can do all those things and make a profit because some sheep are willing to spend $30 for cotton bandanas which costs .25 to make. :banana:

"They've made wool cool again, too."
Nope, they just brought it to the attention of urban roadies with lots of disposable income.

corky
11-24-2011, 10:07 AM
"as far as i know Wal-Mart doesn't sponser race teams, organize rides for joe public, promote races, put on film nights, have dedicated cycling stores to hang out, produce a dedicated magazine, publish book on cycling.....
'

Rapha can do all those things and make a profit because some sheep are willing to spend $30 for cotton bandanas which costs .25 to make. :banana:

"They've made wool cool again, too."
Nope, they just brought it to the attention of urban roadies with lots of disposable income.

so making a profit is wrong?

I'd rather give my money to people that support my interests than some comglomerate thatis really ONLY interested in profit.

What do Assos do for the sport? why do they esape the mighty wroth of the Internet Jihad?

Yes..... they repopularized wool content..... a bad thing?

corky
11-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I just find it hypocritical that people using a forum sponsored by one of the highest priced frame building businesses in the world, are bitching about prices.... but thats just me.

gdw
11-24-2011, 10:27 AM
"I just find it hypocritical that people using a forum sponsored by one of the highest priced frame building businesses in the world, are bitching about prices.... but thats just me."

Serottas aren't made in third world countries. I'm willing to pay a fair price for top quality products but not for a slick marketing campaign pushing flash over substance. $30 cotton bandanas.....

crownjewelwl
11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
It's thanksgiving

It's just stuff that covers your taint! Buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't...

But if you do buy it, use one of the codes do something more useful with the money you save!

gearguywb
11-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I just don't get the hate. Sure the stuff is expensive. Is it worth it....depends. No more expensive than Assos and several other brands.

Most folks think we are all crazy anyway for dropping 4k on a frame, 2k on a set of wheels, 250 on a handlebar, tires that cost more than the ones on my car, etc, etc.

Personally, I love the bibs and jerseys. Bandana...not so much, but I am not about to make fun of someone that does like it.

Go have another turkey leg and be thankful that you can :)

Birddog
11-24-2011, 01:20 PM
+1 Gearguywb, I don't get it either.

thendenjeck
11-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Would happiness be to have lots of Rapha and not worry about coupon codes?

the best things in life aren't things?

BryanE
11-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Glad I bought three jerseys last spring when they were 50% off their sale price and free shipping.
Bryan

m.skeen
11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I am a fan of the Rapha base layers. The baselayer bundle + 15% off and free shipping is a pretty good deal.

Although I just saw the note on the website that says they will not repair base layers now. Not sure when this policy changed.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I just don't get the hate. Sure the stuff is expensive. Is it worth it....depends. No more expensive than Assos and several other brands.

Most folks think we are all crazy anyway for dropping 4k on a frame, 2k on a set of wheels, 250 on a handlebar, tires that cost more than the ones on my car, etc, etc.

Personally, I love the bibs and jerseys. Bandana...not so much, but I am not about to make fun of someone that does like it.

Go have another turkey leg and be thankful that you can :)

Never meant to imply I hate Rapha. I just think it's humorous they make this "be one of the kool kidz hard man Rapha guys" marketing thing work. It obviously makes them a profit--even after whatever support they give to cycling causes.

That's where the sarcasm was aimed. I can vaguely see paying $200 for a pair of bibs if they are really that good--it's a contact point and comfort there can honestly make the diff on a long ride.

But $200 for a summer weight jersey? $300 or $350 for a wind shell? And $30 for a frickin' BANDANA? Come ON! . . . and I don't care if that $200 summer weight jersey says Rapha or Assos or some other high fallutin' name on it. It's still ridiculous IMHO--and I am entitled to an opinion, even though I'm a mod . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Wimpy
11-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Nice.

BBD
Almost like a $9000 frame.

FlashUNC
11-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I think I've gotten to the point where I don't understand all the anti- anti-Rapha discontent.

If someone doesn't like it, that's certainly their opinion. In my mind, that just means there'll be more stuff in stock when I do buy from them. Who cares what anyone else thinks as long as you like it?
I have an unhealthy love for their bib shorts, winter tights and most of their jerseys. (Not thrilled on the pocket layout of the lightweight jersey...a useless pill pocket? Really?)

oldpotatoe
11-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Almost like a $9000 frame.

Badda BING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bcYppAs6ZdI

Charles M
11-25-2011, 09:18 AM
That's a great point...

At least the $9000 frame would very likely be one of the best custom crafted pieces available.

What it wouldn't be is an upper middle level product, mass produced in China...

67-59
11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
That's a great point...

At least the $9000 frame would very likely be one of the best custom crafted pieces available.

"Upper middle level"? So in your mind, what brands of cycling apparel are in the upper level? Not trying to pick a fight, but trying to find out what brands you presumably think are clearly and consistently better than Rapha.

In addition to Rapha, I have tried Assos, Exte Ondo, Campagnolo, Nalini, MOA, Biemme, Curve, Craft and probably a couple others that I can't think of right now...and I have yet to find a brand that I would consider clearly and consistently better than Rapha (i.e., deserving of being put in a whole category above it).

AngryScientist
11-25-2011, 10:14 AM
what is up with all the cranky-ness on this forum lately??

someone is nice enough to post up a discount code for a sale on cycling gear, and it turns into a 4 page pile-on about the value of Rapha stuff??

Wimpy
11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
That's a great point...

For now we will avoid the debate of frame building craftsmanship, but do you really belief that the level of craftsmanship in the textile industry is higher here in the USA than in Asia?

Just because it can be done cheaply some places over there does not mean it is all done poorly.

Fixed
11-25-2011, 10:23 AM
those that can afford it ( and are hip ) love it those that can't (not hip ) justify it by running it down ..
same old story human nature . sometimes it is better to say nothing ..
i should take my own advise though ..imho
cheers :beer:

Wilkinson4
11-25-2011, 10:25 AM

someone is nice enough to post up a discount code for a sale on cycling gear, and it turns into a 4 page pile-on about the value of Rapha stuff??

Rapha is the new Tebow:D

mIKE

Wimpy
11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Rapha is the new Tebow:D

mIKE

Go Tim Tebow. He could very well change the face of the NFL for years to come. Grittiness and guts will take back over and losers like Suh will be outcasts!

Wilkinson4
11-25-2011, 10:41 AM
We need a thread called:

Campy or Shimano: What would Tebow ride while wearing Rapha.

That would be great!

mIKE

m.skeen
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Too much eating and not enough riding? :)

Elefantino
11-25-2011, 10:51 AM
We need a thread called:

Campy or Shimano: What would Tebow ride while wearing Rapha.

That would be great!

mIKE
POTD

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
"Upper middle level"? So in your mind, what brands of cycling apparel are in the upper level? Not trying to pick a fight, but trying to find out what brands you presumably think are clearly and consistently better than Rapha.

In addition to Rapha, I have tried Assos, Exte Ondo, Campagnolo, Nalini, MOA, Biemme, Curve, Craft and probably a couple others that I can't think of right now...and I have yet to find a brand that I would consider clearly and consistently better than Rapha (i.e., deserving of being put in a whole category above it).

I'd be curious too what the market consensus is for the "best" cycling apparel brands.

My 5'10" 172# is not svelte enough for Assos. I like the campy jerseys and jackets but their chamois don't agree with me. Mavic, capo and hincapie stuff is fine. Rapha, I like the styling - jerseys and bibs fit great and launder well. many washings later they still look great.

There are flies in the rapha ointment IMHO.
- I wear large jerseys, but need XL jackets to fit my shoulders resulting in some excess torso material.
- some of my merino products developed holes in them after the first few washings.
- the city clothing is nice if you are really skinny
- the half zip jerseys are too hot for summer and limited to fall/spring for me
- sadly they killed the lw softshell. that piece is GREAT
- IMHO a lot of the non-core products are greatly over-priced
- the wind jacket does not work significantly better than my PI optic (but it does LOOK better)

The good news?
- savvy shoppers can get some basic pieces at prices competitive to most other premium priced brands
- fantastic customer service
- if I can't go fast at least I am lookng good

oldpotatoe
11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Go Tim Tebow. He could very well change the face of the NFL for years to come. Grittiness and guts will take back over and losers like Suh will be outcasts!

Just like in college ball, when a team figures the option out, that team that puts all it's eggs in the option basket, gets their butt kicked..then they go back to a better mix of ground/pass offense. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen in Denver with Tebow. There were some pretty gritty and gutsy quarterbacks over the years but they could also throw the ball. Like, shall I say it? Elway.

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd be curious too what the market consensus is for the "best" cycling apparel brands.

. . . behind the sarcasm. I've also got some nice kit pieces from different manufacturers and some are great and some a level below. But if they're all about the same and I can get one for $75 (or less!) and the Rapha summer weight jersey goes for $200 (or more!) then why on earth are people paying those prices? It's marketing.

I've always liked to set my OWN "style." Granted, to some I've become a bit of a joke with the zebra stripes and some other pretty, ah, "memorable" outfits. But I've set my own style. Rapha, and Assos with their "sponsor yourself" campaign, and many others, are selling style. Same as Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, and many others.

I have no doubt there are some specific Rapha pieces that are very well designed, obviously superior to other brands, and worth the money. Same for Assos, Exte Ondo, etc. But as you also say, some of the non-core Rapha products and their prices are just, well, ridiculous. What's really silly to me is the image they are selling and how many people are obviously buying into it, trying to achieve individual style by joining a "cool kidz" type stampede and having exactly the same "style" as a whole crowd of others.

BBD

Lovetoclimb
11-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I want a Nepalese sweater.

just not for $396 . . . I would need to see how much of that goes back into the village economy who is producing it.

beeatnik
11-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm a man of two natures. I love the finer things but I don't want to pay a cent over what I perceive their inherent value to be. I wont get into a complicated calculus defining "inherent value" but with a consumer goods, I take into account many factors, labor hours, marketing, projected status, amortization, depreciation, etc. Taking all that into account, when I purchase Rapha products at a discount (and ALWAYS at a discount), I don't feel that I'm being ripped off even though I'm acutely aware of the markup. I'm not in the textile industry but I imagine that cost of raw materials, labor, R&D and transportation per jersey would have to be under $10 per item. So, I'm willing to pay a 10x markup.

Now the tortured analogy. I love a good cocktail. I know the price of all the ingredients that go into a great Manhattan or a perfect Old Fashioned. I will always prefer a cocktail made by a bartender over a home bar drink. For that reason, I accept the 5x markup at a bar. However, lately, there's been a renaissance in cocktail culture here in LA (and in other major cities, obviously) and I've been blown away by the creations of some of the LA's more respected mixologists. Unfortunately, these guys command $15 for a Manhattan, 2x what I'm used to paying. (bear with me, in this analogy I'd like to give the same value to the skilled labor of the mixologist with the marketing savvy of rapha, ie, the "value added"). Again, I'm a cheap bastard, I can't part with $15 for a cocktail when I can make one at home for $1. Yet, as alluded to above, I pursue some passions with a degree of connoisseurship. Bottom line, I want to enjoy that $15 cocktail but on my terms. My solution, happy hour. Am I overpaying for a drink at $8 to $10? Of course. Is it a value to me? Very much so.

Whew! Thanks for listening.

Charles M
11-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by PezTech

That's a great point...

For now we will avoid the debate of frame building craftsmanship, but do you really belief that the level of craftsmanship in the textile industry is higher here in the USA than in Asia?

Just because it can be done cheaply some places over there does not mean it is all done poorly.

You're either missing the point or twisting it...

I never said i'ts poorly done. In fact, it's firmly upper middle end.

The Rapha logo followers brought up a $9000 frame as a suggestion that because there are other expensive things on the market, Rapha are justified in charging a lot more for Chinese stock production than other products of similar or better quality...

I'm speaking to the $9000 frame comment...

Rapha are no place near making the custom tailored, custom finished piece of equipment that would more logically compare with a $9000 frame crafted to measure...

In fact, unlike a lot of companies with roots in cycling and actual manufacturing history and facilities, I'm not sure that Rapha actuallymanufacture anything beyond their image.

Birddog
11-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Not tortured at all beeatnik, quite erudite actually. I am in complete agreement but then I too am a cheap bastard and proud of it.

firerescuefin
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm a man of two natures. I love the finer things but I don't want to pay a cent over what I perceive their inherent value to be. I wont get into a complicated calculus defining "inherent value" but with a consumer goods, I take into account many factors, labor hours, marketing, projected status, amortization, depreciation, etc. Taking all that into account, when I purchase Rapha products at a discount (and ALWAYS at a discount), I don't feel that I'm being ripped off even though I'm acutely aware of the markup. I'm not in the textile industry but I imagine that cost of raw materials, labor, R&D and transportation per jersey would have to be under $10 per item. So, I'm willing to pay a 10x markup.

Now the tortured analogy. I love a good cocktail. I know the price of all the ingredients that go into a great Manhattan or a perfect Old Fashioned. I will always prefer a cocktail made by a bartender over a home bar drink. For that reason, I accept the 5x markup at a bar. However, lately, there's been a renaissance in cocktail culture here in LA (and in other major cities, obviously) and I've been blown away by the creations of some of the LA's more respected mixologists. However, these guys command $15 for a Manhattan, 2x what I'm used to paying. (bear with me, in this analogy I'd like to give the same value to the skilled labor of the mixologist with the marketing savvy of rapha, ie, the "value added"). Again, I'm a cheap bastard, I can't part with $15 for a cocktail when I can make one at home for $1. However, as alluded to above, I pursue some passions with a degree of connoisseurship. Bottom line, I want to enjoy that $15 cocktail but on my terms. My solution, happy hour. Am I overpaying for a drink at $8 to $10? Of course. Is it a value to me? Very much so.

Whew! Thanks for listening.

How many cocktails did you drink before writing this post? You should submit this to Pearson View for use on the reading comprehension portion of the GMAT. ;)

beeatnik
11-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Just a post-turkey hangover. Just noticed, too many transitions in the 2nd paragraph, too many howevers.

However, I hope the point was made..haha.

jlwdm
11-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I have no doubt there are some specific Rapha pieces that are very well designed, obviously superior to other brands, and worth the money. Same for Assos, Exte Ondo, etc. But as you also say, some of the non-core Rapha products and their prices are just, well, ridiculous.

BBD

You are entitled to your opinion. What I find tiresome is the continual expression of your opinion every time Rapha is mentioned.

I have purchased Rapha bibs, long and short sleeve jerseys, a neck gaiter and wool socks - they have all been great. Sure Rapha makes a lot of non-core expensive items but I just pass them by. I could care less. I buy items from lots of companies that I don't understand all of their products or prices.

I have never seen a great rain shell. I would pay $300 for one and I would get years of enjoyment from it. Maybe the Rapha is it.

Pez, I have always enjoyed your posts but I don't find any value in your recent anti-Rapha posts. You act like there are many better jersey brands but you never mention what they are. I made it to AZ Wed and Thursday and got to stop in and get a tour with Paraic at Faster. Time for a refit next time I am in town.

Jeff

JMerring
11-25-2011, 04:45 PM
"Doc: Unbelievable, that his piece of junk could be such a big problem. No wonder this circuit failed - it says, "Made in Japan."

Marty: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.

Doc: Unbelievable!"

I'm very pleased so far with my newly acquired rapha softshell and merino base layer, acquired courtesy of a discount and quite a bit cheaper than assos (which I like, too).

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. What I find tiresome is the continual expression of your opinion every time Rapha is mentioned.

. . . objective, specific evidence for this, then go right ahead. The "search" function is in the top navigation menu. Remember, you have said I express my "anti-Rapha" opinion EVERY time Rapha is mentioned. That is simply not true.

When I'm reading a thread and it starts to get tiresome, I go read some other thread.

BBD

wooly
11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
The Rapha logo followers brought up a $9000 frame as a suggestion that because there are other expensive things on the market, Rapha are justified in charging a lot more for Chinese stock production than other products of similar or better quality...

PEz - i have to disagree with your inferred point that Rapha fans are only fans because of the marketing hype. I own a couple of their jerseys and a vest. I also own a lot of other gear made by other manufacturers. I think that Rapha's quality, look and feel is better than a lot of other manufacturers irregardless of the price paid. It's just an added bonus that you can get their gear at a competitive price if you shop smart.

Fixed
11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
i am sure he has tested it
cheers

happy?

Wimpy
11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. What I find tiresome is the continual expression of your opinion every time Rapha is mentioned....

For BBD, Rapha is the new Lance.

gearguywb
11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
PEz - i have to disagree with your inferred point that Rapha fans are only fans because of the marketing hype. I own a couple of their jerseys and a vest. I also own a lot of other gear made by other manufacturers. I think that Rapha's quality, look and feel is better than a lot of other manufacturers irregardless of the price paid. It's just an added bonus that you can get their gear at a competitive price if you shop smart.

I am still looking for that quality merino jersey for less money than what I paid for the Rapha's that I have. Some of their stuff is stupid money. I don't purchase those items. When an item does what I want it to do, shows good quality (and the expectation of lasting a long time), and I find (what I consider) true value due to the number of times the garment will be used, I buy it. Don't care who makes it.

Case in point: Used Assos bibs for several years. 3 sets of bibs, used 3-4 times per week year round. Amoritized price was probably around .25 per wearing. Tried Rapha (on sale at CC), liked them even more than my much loved Assos. Wore them today and plan to ride with them a lot more.

In the grand scheme of things the amount spent on cycling clothing is probably one of the cheaper investments many of us make.

I still don't get the hate. If we had a thread about a particular bike mfg and it went downhill like some of the comments here, there would be some repercussions. Why is it ok when we talk about apparel?

Have an adult beverage and go ride more :) (not in that order)

iml
11-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I bought a bunch of Rapha stuff last summer. It was already on sale, and I had an additional discount code to stack on top. I ended up spending about half of retail, sometimes less, on some jerseys, base layers, and city riding trousers. The jerseys are nice for when I don't want to wear race kit, the base layers are good, and the pants are nice for wearing on the commute to work when I don't want to change when I get there.

At retail, no way. And for the real performance stuff, there's much better stuff out there. But some of the city riding stuff is cool if you ride that way and like the style, and I like the jerseys. They're fun and they work. I like what I have, but don't see myself buying more. I have race kit, and then seriously good stuff (Etxeondo fanboy here) for when it matters. The Rapha stuff is kind of like harmlessly goofing off.

I had some hate for the brand before, but no more. It's just stuff. Loving or hating a brand it makes it too important.

Except for Etxeondo. That *****e rules.

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
yes to exteondo...too bad the distribution isnt wider. somewhat manic on the various design patterns but yes that %^$$^# works great.

wooly
11-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Except for Etxeondo. That *****e rules.

Agreed - I have a couple of their jerseys too. Bery Bery niiiiice...

pdmtong
11-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Agreed - I have a couple of their jerseys too. Bery Bery niiiiice...

my exteondo softshell pretty nice too

Idris Icabod
11-25-2011, 11:20 PM
15% off

BLACKFR11

go crazy!

Wow, 6 pages for a coupon code!

Thanks for posting the code, came in useful. You probably regret starting such a seemingly benign thread!

akelman
11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for posting the code, came in useful.

Yes, good point. Amidst all the nonsense, I should have said thanks. I'm officially a huge fan of Rapha's bibs, and this was a great chance to pick up a few more pairs. Thank you.

iml
11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Very true.

No one really needs to hear more opinions on Rapha goods, and no one asked, yet I offered some anyway. Funny how the brand inspires people to chime in, isn't it?

jlwdm
11-26-2011, 02:34 AM
. . . objective, specific evidence for this, then go right ahead. The "search" function is in the top navigation menu. Remember, you have said I express my "anti-Rapha" opinion EVERY time Rapha is mentioned. That is simply not true.

When I'm reading a thread and it starts to get tiresome, I go read some other thread.

BBD
The search function shows 13 threads where you have made your anti-Rapha posts.

I did not say the thread itself was tiresome.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
11-26-2011, 07:32 AM
[COLOR=Navy]Quote:

In fact, unlike a lot of companies with roots in cycling and actual manufacturing history and facilities, I'm not sure that Rapha actuallymanufacture anything beyond their image.

Kinda like sram or colnago.

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
The search function shows 13 threads where you have made your anti-Rapha posts.

I did not say the thread itself was tiresome.

Jeff

. . . and how many threads mentioning Rapha where I did not participate at all? :D ;)

BBD

Lovetoclimb
11-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Mac Softshell (http://www.rapha.cc/mac-softshell/)

Don't be caught with just a plain old softshell!

gearguywb
11-26-2011, 09:22 AM
. . . and how many threads mentioning Rapha where I did not participate at all? :D ;)

BBD

I will go out on a limb...1 ? ;)

Charles M
11-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Who cares if it's every thread?

I would guess I post in most of the Rapha threads about the cost, relative value given it's an asian product and the fact they're more of a marketing facade than a clothes maker as well.

It's the counter opinion.

I understand that it gets under the skin of the folks that bought into the image Rapha are selling, but that's not why I post. I do it to make sure that along with the hype comes the reality of what people might spend their money on.

67-59
11-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I would guess I post in most of the Rapha threads about the cost, relative value given it's an asian product and the fact they're more of a marketing facade than a clothes maker as well.

Kinda funny that you seem to just assume that Asian products must have a lower value than US-made products. Seems far wiser to look just at the product itself, and not get hung up on where it was made. Attitudes similar to yours led whole generations of Americans to keep buying garbage from Detroit for decades while better products were being made in Japan.

Charles M
11-26-2011, 10:20 AM
You're saying that... I'm not.

I'm no place near saying Great product isnt made in the far east. It plainly is. Parlee's Z5 is a very good example of that. Asia can make extremely good product and create fantastic value for customers.

But that's not what Rapha do.

Rapha take an economically produced upper mid grade product and wrap it in a manufactured image and put a price tag on it so high that it can give some people a sense of prestige.

Another thread posted a link to another take on what Rapha are good at producing...

http://internationale.teamjva.com/http://internationale.teamjva.com/

JMerring
11-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I understand that it gets under the skin of the folks that bought into the image Rapha are selling, but that's not why I post. I do it to make sure that along with the hype comes the reality of what people might spend their money on.

pez - data point for you: i didn't buy rapha because of the image; at all. i bought rapha, after considering ALL the alternatives, because they had the product that best suited my needs. so far it has worked out great, chinese or not. (also, your hate doesn't get under my skin at all; it does, however, appear is if the affinity shown by some for the brand gets under yours.)

Charles M
11-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Fair enough.

Out of curiosity,

Specifically what technical feature does Rapha have that you find exceeds "ALL" other brands?

pdmtong
11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Rapha take an economically produced upper mid grade product and wrap it in a manufactured image and put a price tag on it so high that it can give some people a sense of prestige.[/URL]

I'm the guy that buys the clearance stuff and stacks a coupon on top. I'd love to be the guy who could afford to pay full price (and be more philanthropic in other areas too) but, sadly, I am not. Am I buying prestige? no, I am getting a deal. where is the assos coupon?

Birddog
11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
"I'm the guy that buys the clearance stuff and stacks a coupon on top. I'd love to be the guy who could afford to pay full price (and be more philanthropic in other areas too) but, sadly, I am not."

Prudent practice if you asked me, as it allows you to pursue that runaway single malt habit with enthusiasm.

pdmtong
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Prudent practice if you asked me, as it allows you to pursue that runaway single malt habit with enthusiasm.

You got it! Save a littlel here, spend more over there. Or, ride in the daytime, drink scotch in the night time. Last night I was A/B a springbank ACE'd in a chateau d'yquem cask versus a springbank ACE'd in a madeira cask. what an embarassment of riches.

back to rapha. There are a few pieces that stand out to me. first, the classic bibs. that is a nice pad and it lasts forever. second, the lw softshell (no longer made) perfect weight for 40-55d. third, the long sleeve jerseys. that material for reasons unknown to me, really blocks wind nicely and manges to be neither to cool nor too hot. fourth, the caps. man those things work great to keep my head warm. fifth, the knee warmers. they NEVER fall down. and, the seams line up with the bibs. how pro is that? sixth, the base layers. wool doesnt stink! (but I do after riding)

what about the other jerseys you ask? well, for me, any of the sportwool jerseys are just too warm between april/may-october around here. during the cooler months they work great. the lightweight is nice, but I cant argue it "the best" over the extenondo, mavic, campy jerseys I have too.

one day I found myself actually thinking about that little jersey wallet thing. it was the marketing I admit it (yea pez, you got me) then I woke up and thought ***? $55 for something my ziploc does just as well... I need to get a grip.

so buy stuff on sale, go ride, be happy.

speaking of pez, looking fwd to more on your RSL

JMerring
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Fair enough.

Out of curiosity,

Specifically what technical feature does Rapha have that you find exceeds "ALL" other brands?

i never said it is technically better than all other brands - it simply met my needs in terms of form, function and fit (and not necessarily in that order) better than the alternatives that were available to me (assos, capo, castelli, craft, de marchi, endura, giordana, gore, louis garneau and pearl izumi). specifically, i'm talking about the softshell classic. it came down to that and the ijbonkmille [sp?], but at a $200 delta (after applying a discount), i figured i'd give the rapha a shot and if i didn't like it i could take advantage of competitive cyclist's nqa return policy. so far so good.

corky
11-26-2011, 01:31 PM
You're saying that... I'm not.

I'm no place near saying Great product isnt made in the far east. It plainly is. Parlee's Z5 is a very good example of that. Asia can make extremely good product and create fantastic value for customers.

But that's not what Rapha do.

Rapha take an economically produced upper mid grade product and wrap it in a manufactured image and put a price tag on it so high that it can give some people a sense of prestige.

Another thread posted a link to another take on what Rapha are good at producing...

http://internationale.teamjva.com/http://internationale.teamjva.com/

Rapha don"t take an economicaly produced upper mid grade product(your opinion not a fact)....... they design the items fer chrissake!

The brought back de logoed clothing for which they should be lauded...
and not all their things are made in Asia.... the gloves are made in the UK

....... We get you don't like them/their marketing/their success but your dislike is bordering on the rediculous.

and like I said in an earlier post they put far more back into cycling than any other clothing company. Yes I realize they can afford to... but they don't have to.

I have some original jerseys bought over 8 years ago that are still wearig as well today as when they were bought....... factor that into the spending decision.

i jus don't understand the negativity.....

Wilkinson4
11-26-2011, 01:47 PM
How about some alternatives to Rapha? There are some really nice threads out there but most are pricey. Depends on your style I guess.

You can always get a used Sergel or Kucharik wool jersey of the bay!

Some stuff I wish I had in addition to Rapha:

Outlier
RoadHolland
Earth Wind and Rider

Some good alternatives to Assos, Capo, etc...

Pactimo
Desoto

Some other cool clothing

Joneswares
swvre

Anybody else got some boutique brands they want to share?

mIKE

TMB
11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Rapha don"t take an economicaly produced upper mid grade product(your opinion not a fact)....... they design the items fer chrissake!

The brought back de logoed clothing for which they should be lauded...
and not all their things are made in Asia.... the gloves are made in the UK

....... We get you don't like them/their marketing/their success but your dislike is bordering on the rediculous.

and like I said in an earlier post they put far more back into cycling than any other clothing company. Yes I realize they can afford to... but they don't have to.

I have some original jerseys bought over 8 years ago that are still wearig as well today as when they were bought....... factor that into the spending decision.

i jus don't understand the negativity.....

I find the best thing to do with many of these clowns is to use the ignore function - liberally.

Sadly, it cannot be used in respect of moderators.

67-59
11-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Once again you use a term like "upper mid grade" to describe Rapha, which implies that there is some "high grade" category of bike clothing manufacturers - presumably a whole category that produce better quality clothing. I asked you before who they are and you conveniently didn't address the question. So I'll ask again - would you please list all of the producers of high grade bike clothing?

Fixed
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
maybe pez is coming out
with their own line
when i used to read their reviews
a few years ago they seemed to like
everything they tested
cheers

gdw
11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Foxwear - stock or custom gear made in the US and sold at reasonable prices
Showers Pass - top quality raingear manufactured from quality fabric
Ibex - wool, no logos, most made in the US from imported merino
Icebreaker
Smartwool
Boure
Wabi Woolens
Montbell, quality lightweight multi-use gear made from top quality material.
Osprey Packs

There are lots of companies out there producing quality gear for less than Rapha and most actually tell you what fabric and materials they use in its construction. Anyone know what Rapha uses in their gilets, jackets, and raingear which justifies its high cost? Momentum, Event, Goretex, Powershield...?

corky
11-26-2011, 03:10 PM
maybe pez is coming out
with their own line
when i used to read their reviews
a few years ago they seemed to like
everything they tested
cheers

probably Rapha never sent them any samples...... hence the dislike

cfox
11-26-2011, 03:46 PM

edumacate youself...the 'Asian product' thing is a red herring. Their bibs/tights, which are by far their best sellers, are made in Italy. They use Cytech pads, just like Assos. A lot of their Merino stuff is made in Portugal, and most of their gloves are made in England. It doesn't bother me that they don't sew their jerseys in London. That said, they are not just a 'marketing facade'; they spend a lot of time designing and testing their gear and then they have it manufactered to their specs. And some of it is really, really good and at fair prices relative to other nice brands. You imply that Rapha are the equivalent of a bike maker who buys open-mold frames en masse from china and slaps a sticker on them. That is totally unfair and untrue.

67-59
11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
probably Rapha never sent them any samples...... hence the dislike

Seems like a reasonable guess...

crownjewelwl
11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Never post another rapha discount code! Come on dudes...7 pages?

BBD (the good one not the evil one),
In the great words of Serotta_Pete, I think this thread has run its course...

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
. . . you are absolutely right. Both Good AND Evil BBD agree . . .

I'm sure at least a few other Good and Evil Moderators probably agree, too, so . . .

The BBD's