PDA

View Full Version : OT:Game Brands

1happygirl
11-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Hello Guys (&Gals)!!
Have a Holiday Question that you can help me with.
Need a recommendation.
Question(s):
My friend plays computer games sometimes, as do I, BUT hasn't played console TV games before.
With that in mind..
Which is the easiest system to master for a novice AND the best graphics (they may be mutually exclusive)?

I thought a game console would make a great gift for Christmas. The person who is getting hip surgery (see other thread -thanx guys) will be down for a while recovering. Surgery is early next yr.

Thanks in advance Friends, you guys always come through with erudite/great thoughts and recommends on pros/cons (and prose). Looking to get one on tap the next week.

tuxbailey
11-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Hello Guys (&Gals)!!
Have a Holiday Question that you can help me with.
Need a recommendation.
Question(s):
My friend plays computer games sometimes, as do I, BUT hasn't played console TV games before.
With that in mind..
Which is the easiest system to master for a novice AND the best graphics (they may be mutually exclusive)?

I thought a game console would make a great gift for Christmas. The person who is getting hip surgery (see other thread -thanx guys) will be down for a while recovering. Surgery is early next yr.

Thanks in advance Friends, you guys always come through with erudite/great thoughts and recommends on pros/cons (and prose). Looking to get one on tap the next week.

PS3/XBox, it is just a coin toss.

The Wii is a lot of fun but graphically not as good.

PS3 does have the Blue-Ray advantage if your friend doesn't have a BR player yet.

Oh, if you get the PS3 get the Uncharted series as well.

tuxbailey
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
For example, this is a pretty good deal:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/63138

PS3 with Uncharted 3 for $210.

vqdriver
11-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Ps3 or Xbox 360. If recuperating its kinda silly to go with the wii unless you absolutely have to play the Mario games. The ps3 and 360 graphics are a wash so I'd go with whichever platform has the games you like. Halo marries you to 360 for instance. But COD or madden are cross platform.
For a newb the controller layout is less of a concern cuz you'll learn to play with what you've got tho I've found the Sony controllers cram a lot into small space.

Look for a good deal and go with that. I'm not familiar with online gameplay on the new consoles but I think some charge or there may be a free trial period.

deechee
11-23-2011, 03:34 PM
cod=call of duty, madden is a football game

I think most game consoles are relatively easy to setup, games can be of all levels. I would start with what kind of games you think your friend will like, and pick a console from there. Car racing? Role playing? First-person shooter? Sports games (hockey, football, etc.)?

If your friend is going to be in the hospital for a while, the handheld Nintendo 3Ds is pretty impressive too.

1happygirl
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
good info all. The issue is newb easy layout, but correct you will learn what ya got. I have heard some game controllers are easier to learn than others.

person likes 1st person shooter games

tiretrax
11-23-2011, 09:56 PM
We have an XBox, but the Playstation uses a Blueray - extra benefit.

vqdriver
11-23-2011, 11:07 PM
good info all. The issue is newb easy layout, but correct you will learn what ya got. I have heard some game controllers are easier to learn than others.

person likes 1st person shooter games

Yes you'll adapt to either controller. Gamers going from one to the other have to battle muscle memory which can be tough for fast moving games. But as you said a first time console owner will get good at either. I've found that the size of the controller is more important. But even that is addressed with third party controllers.
The best FPSs are cross platform (except Halo) so you have your choice.

There's no "better" console to learn on.

ultraman6970
11-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Wii is for little kids thats the problem with nintendo, their market always been little kids, grandmas and normal people that have no idea how to use a game pad. Game selection is way better in xbox 360 and ps3.

deechee
11-24-2011, 01:09 PM
yes, many games are available across all platforms, but they don't perform the same on all.

For instance, ign rates call of duty on wii terrible (http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1212482p1.html) . I like the reviews on ign, but I'm definitely no hard-core gamer.

I don't agree wii is only for kids and grandparents, I think they have great party games - some of my friends are hardcore gamers (ie. own all three platforms + the older ones) but the wii is always the console we use when we're hanging out as a group.

If a first-person-shooter existed for Xbox-Kinect, that would probably the easiest to "controL", although your friend might need to stand (not so good after the surgery)

rwsaunders
11-24-2011, 01:30 PM
My 11 yo and 15 yo are XBox 360 loyalists...the Wii just gathers dust. Madden, NHL, FIFA are played quite often, but Call of Duty (COD) has been the drug of choice. When they are on XBox live playing COD with their friends, you'd swear that WWIII was underway.