PDA

View Full Version : T-A crank and phil wood bottom bracket

H.Frank Beshear
12-13-2003, 07:31 PM
I am trying to get the T-A cranks mounted on my new frame and they are running to close to the chainstays. I am using a 116mm phil wood bb on a waterford frame, 68 mm bb shell, english thread. The drive side snugs down to where the 34 tooth inner ring touches the frame and the left side almost touches the @2-3 mm clearance. Do I need a longer axle or do I have the wrong taper for the crank?I am using a T-a double crankset. The waterford does have straight and possibly oversized chainstays. Any help is welcome and appriciated. Thanks H.Frank

dave thompson
12-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I have TA (triple) cranks on my Kirk, and according to a Phil Wood rep I needed a 123 R+5 BB. The +5 allows the BB to be offset to the right up to 5mm for clearance.

According to the Phil BB chart <http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page11.htm> the 116 BB isn't Campy specific. It sounds like you need a longer axle.

In any case, a quick phone call to Phil Wood should get you a specific answer.

H.Frank Beshear
12-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks Dave I was going to call them monday morning. I saw the offset bb's how are they measured? Is a 123+5 actually a 128 or is one side longer by 5mm and the total 123?Does the T-A crank use a Campy taper? I thought that they changed them at some time on the past but wasn't sure. I was getting ready to do a search on this when the old forum went down. I tried to go by memory but the memory seems to have gone:D Thanks for the help I'll give phil a call on monday. Take care H.Frank

dnovo
12-13-2003, 09:12 PM
You may also want to try Peter White at Peter White Cycles. He has more TA components and knows more about TA than anyone else. If you need a part, BB or otherwise, he will know which and will have it or can get it. Dave N.

dbrk
12-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Actually with all due respect and deference to Peter White who is as reputable and as knowledgeable as can be, THE MAN when when it comes to all things TA is Mike Barry of Mariposa. Mike has been dealing in TA before Peter White, dnovo, and I were born---or nearly, and once you add dnovo and me into the mix then we are talking about before the earth's crust cooled. Mike knows more about _anything_ mechanical than anyone ever, including the scaryforknowingsomuch Sheldon Brown. Within the circles of oldschool, Mike is regarded as the foremost authority on the mechanics of derailleurs since the beginning and yeahyeah I know about the books about derailleurs and their fine authors. I tell you, Mike is the man. Mike has Sheldon's practical knowledge, Hilary Stone's command of history, Ernest Csuka's attention to detail, and is as nice as the Dalai Lama. While located in Toronto, Mike ships daily to the U.S., so if you can't get what you need from Peter call Mike 416/423.0456. BTW, his son Michael is one fast fellow...and his daughter-in-law Dede DeMet Barry is nearly as fast! But only the best folks in the world are as good as these fine folks. Anyway, this is just another resource for those looking for insight and help with things TA.

dbrk

dnovo
12-14-2003, 08:27 AM
Hold on there, Brooks, I ain't THAT old! I may have knocked off the dinosaurs, started the last ice age, and caused Continental Drift, but the Earth's crust was cooled at least five years before I appeared on the scene. Now as to Sandy, I can't be too sure about that. I forgot about Mike, and will defer to you on that point. Dave N.