Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2005, 05:21 AM

thread on packing frames for shipping?

Hi,

Does anyone remember the thread where a forum member posted pictures of the frames he sold to other members where each tube was wrapped in foam for protection during shipping?

I wasn't able to search it out.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:23 AM
You still here?

The forum members name is Frank. Look him up on the Member's List and you could e-mail or PM him regarding the foam packing.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 AM

No, but...

I'll share this little bit of wisdom I just learned after receiving a bike shipped to me by a friend. He used as a rigid spacer between the fork and rear dropouts threaded rod (3/8ths maybe) cut just a bit longer than what was needed to span the two spaces and then screwed on each rod were 2 sets of two wingnuts (facing each other) and 2 large washers for griping each dropout. The rod can be placed in the dropouts and then the wingnuts are tightened against each dropout with the washers sandwiched in between. I thought it a relatively cheap and efficient solution.

Hope I didn't detract too much from your request, but thought it might be helpful.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 07-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Here are a couple of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needs Help
Hi,

Does anyone remember the thread where a forum member posted pictures of the frames he sold to other members where each tube was wrapped in foam for protection during shipping?

I wasn't able to search it out.
I am very methodical and thorough with my packing. I first put a layer of padding at the bottom of the bike box. I then put a plastic dropout protector in the rear drop out and the front fork (usually small PVC pipe cut to fit from a longer piece). I then wrap each tube of the frame, including the fork legs, in closed-cell pipe insulation and fasten them with zipties. I then wrap bubble wrap or pipe insulation around the seat tube and headtube opening, as well as around the bottom of the bottom bracket shell and front and rear dropouts. I usually take the fork off and wrap it in some additional bubble wrap or packing to keep it from damaging either the fork or frame during transit. I then place the pipe insulation wrapped frame inside a sheet of plastic like comes off a mattress or new piece of furniture (mattress stores and furniture stores are great sources of this packing material and styrofoam pieces). I wrap the pipe insulation wrapped fork inside a plastic sheet also and put it in the bike box. I also pack lots of stuff around the frame (plastic bags, small boxes, styrofoam, etc.) to help maintain the shape of the bike box and to cushion the frame during shipment.

It may seem like overkill, but I have yet to have a frame damaged and have received many comments on "best packing job ever". In fact, I recently sold a NOS Cannondale to a fellow and this week he received it. He said he was going to a meeting at work when he saw the delivery guy bringing a big box down the hall tumbling it end over end rather than carrying it. He said he just knew he was going to be opening a box with a damaged frame, but the packing was such that the thin-walled Cannondale was in perfect condition.

I pack my frames for buyers like I would want to receive them. I feel that is the frame is worth someone spending their hard-earned money on, than it is worth protecting well. It takes a while to pack a frame like this, but I think it is time well spent.

Last edited by Frank; 07-29-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:53 AM

Very nice

I have a frame for sale on eBay, so this is very timely and I intend to follow your lead, Frank. Thanks. That said, there's something vaguely amusing about that frame wrapped up like the michelin man with two bright yellow bottle cages sticking out. It's probably just me.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:29 AM

yup

Frank's the man. Took me over half an hour to unpack one of his, and it was in flawless condition.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Those were the pictures I was looking for. Thanks for posting them again Frank.

Quote:
He said he was going to a meeting at work when he saw the delivery guy bringing a big box down the hall tumbling it end over end rather than carrying it.
lol. Let me guess it said Fragile on the box?? I've never received any large packages from UPS that didn't look like they had been dragged behind the truck the whole way, and then stomped on by every employee at the distribution center. I'm also told that UPS won't pay damage claims saying that any damage was due to improper packing.

Last edited by Needs Help; 07-29-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

NH,

Are you selling or are you moving?

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman