Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Ever take a season off?

I don't necessarily mean hang up the bike and not ride, but more like...not ride as hard as in prior seasons. I know I'm still stuck in winter's thaw, but the notion of getting out there, getting back in shape, being on the verge of throwing up, simply doesn't appeal to me this year. I've got so much going on here at the orifice and at home, enjoying both the photography and my son's last days being home on a regular basis, my mind is rationalizing the idea that I take this year off, ride the slower club rides and ride when I want to, not have to. Have any of you done this? Do you recommend it?

I mean...I still plan on knocking on Douglas' front door this summer, do the D2R2 just as fast as I did it last year, but in much nicer weather. I just haven't made up my mind whether to dedicate myself to the Saturday and Sunday morning stomp sessions with the boys.

Let me guess...springing back is that much harder to do taking a year off.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---

Last edited by Kevan; 03-26-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Everything is connected

Find a riding buddy, Kevan. It makes the rides more enjoyable as you can cuss to each other about the world, the economy, the election and the hills.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM

absolutely, i know few cyclists who have been at the sport for over 6 or 7 years who haven't. lifw often gets in the way of serious cycling.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
commuter racer

I haven't taken a year off since 1990. I try to explain to my coworkers that I'm skinny because I excercize but... they don't believe me.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
JRA

I've ridden four times in four months, and I've felt it's done me a world of good, after riding hard through the two previous New England winters.

I never want cycling to be an obligation!

Of course, if I couldn't ski, I'd have ridden a lot more this winter.

Dave
Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
I haven't taken a year off since 1990. I try to explain to my coworkers that I'm skinny because I excercize but... they don't believe me.
you've never had a year where you ride a lot less than usual, or like kevan says "my mind is rationalizing the idea that I take this year off, ride the slower club rides and ride when I want to, not have to"?

i had such a season most recently 2 or 3 years ago, where i did no weights, few club rides, no races, no intervals or structure of any kind, rode the mountain bike a bunch, kept no log, yet still managed probably 4-5000 miles.

my philosophy is this is for fun and for myself so i do what i feel like doing.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 PM

I took a year off from racing and riding regularly when my first child was born. It wasn't a problem getting back in racing shape coming back the next year and I think it added on to the back side of my cycling years.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
I don't necessarily mean hang up the bike and not ride, but more like...not ride as hard as in prior seasons. I know I'm still stuck in winter's thaw, but the notion of getting out there, getting back in shape, being on the verge of throwing up, simply doesn't exactly appeal to me this year. I've got so much going on here at the orifice and at home, enjoying both the photography and my son's last days being home on a regular basis, my mind is rationalizing the idea that I take this year off. Ride the slower club rides and ride when I want to, not have to. Have any of you done this? Do you recommend it?

I mean...I still plan on knocking on Douglas' front door the summer, do the D2R2 just as fast as I did it last year, but in much nicer weather. I just haven't made up my mind whether to dedicate myself to the Saturday and Sunday morning stomp sessions with the boys.

Let me guess...springing back is that much harder to do taking a year off.
Yeah, I hear you. I did much less riding last year than in prior years (a couple of thousand miles instead of 5-6,000). Kind of because other things imposed themselves, rather than pre-meditated. I didn't ride much at all this winter and my riding condition is shot to hell. Thirty miles with any climbing at all seems like a long ride now, instead of a mellow little recovery jaunt.

Two things make me wonder if I'll ride much at all this summer. First, I really liked not riding much. I think cycling snuck up to being an obsession and, at some point, became somewhat less enjoyable. I've been doing other things, working out and otherwise staying active, and am feeling like I'm in decent shape and fine health, but I'm not in riding shape at all. And I know how much I'd have to ride to get back to the kind of shape I've been in when I enjoyed riding the most and I'm just not sure I'm up for it.

I'm enjoying other things a lot and I'm not real motivated to get back on the bike. Everything points to just letting it work itself out. But the thing that scares me about really taking a year off, not getting in shape, just riding around town and doing easy rides with friends, is that it may be that much harder NEXT year to get back to it. I think giving into the impulse might be the beginning of the end of the role that riding has played. It might not - it might just be the break I need. But it might be the beginning of a sea change. Which would be OK, I guess, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give into that without a fight.

So, I hear ya. And I'm conflicted. But ultimately it'll work itself out. You're ultimately either motivated or you're not. It's NOT a mandatory activity, after all.

-Ray
Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph
you've never had a year where you ride a lot less than usual, or like kevan says "my mind is rationalizing the idea that I take this year off, ride the slower club rides and ride when I want to, not have to"?

i had such a season most recently 2 or 3 years ago, where i did no weights, few club rides, no races, no intervals or structure of any kind, rode the mountain bike a bunch, kept no log, yet still managed probably 4-5000 miles.

my philosophy is this is for fun and for myself so i do what i feel like doing.

I've slowed don a bit since the fanatical cycling days of my 20's, but I try to ride balls out hard, and get as fast and fit as possible. It just feels good to me to ride hard. The only exception was a few years ago when I didn't do much climbing because it bothered my knees. I thought I was getting arthritis, and had a bunch of tests which came back negative. When I go to grad school I plan on a respite.

Last edited by shinomaster; 03-26-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM

I've never been a super serious roadie. There's too much other stuff that's interesting to do. I'll be lucky to get 3k this year since most of my friends don't ride. I've given up the long Saturday ride so I can dragonboat Saturday mornings (do a short 20 in the afternoon) and I might lose the long Sunday ride since it's warmed up enough to go outdoor rock-climbing. And the outdoor pool opens up in 5 days, so have to fit in weekend swimming and toss in the occasional weekend hike or mountain biking trip. Then there are weekday dragonboat practices after work. Too many options.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Is this roundtrip?

You're getting sucked into that camera hobby, that's what's happened.

Get a little water proof bar bag and take the camera with you on those puke fests.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM

I've taken the last 6 months basically off. After a few years of being really obsessive about riding, and racing, I just lost all interest. It may have had something to do with a serious head injury a friend suffered in my last race, a year ago this May, but only subconsciously. Then I moved to an urban area where the cycling is "different", and my commute got longer and not as bike friendly. I just haven't had the itch to get back into it yet, and I've actually been enjoying it. I've been doing a lot of weights in the gym, becoming more balanced fitness-wise, and doing a lot of walking and long hikes. I'm okay with it because I know that eventually the bug will bite again and I'll be out there riding. I'm all or nothing-- I just can't be a fair weather rider, I don't enjoy it. In the mean time I'm keeping fit in other ways and spending more time with my s.o.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm having fun now

yeah bro I took last year off
riding now, not as well yet though
cheers
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm119
I've taken the last 6 months basically off. After a few years of being really obsessive about riding, and racing, I just lost all interest. It may have had something to do with a serious head injury a friend suffered in my last race, a year ago this May, but only subconsciously. Then I moved to an urban area where the cycling is "different", and my commute got longer and not as bike friendly. I just haven't had the itch to get back into it yet, and I've actually been enjoying it. I've been doing a lot of weights in the gym, becoming more balanced fitness-wise, and doing a lot of walking and long hikes. I'm okay with it because I know that eventually the bug will bite again and I'll be out there riding. I'm all or nothing-- I just can't be a fair weather rider, I don't enjoy it. In the mean time I'm keeping fit in other ways and spending more time with my s.o.

That sounds perfectly healthy.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:22 PM

I'd say the last three years have been "off" - ever since I met my gf. Its funny since we met through triathlon but we've both taken it down a notch. Last year was the first time I went through the season without a serious injury; I trained less but brought up the intensity a lot by riding with power. I also spent more time with my gf and family, cooked more, and felt better about myself (except my pants getting tighter part). I also started practicing the violin again. I feel much better as a whole.

And yeah, its hard to get back into it once you stop/slow down. I'm hooked on so many TV shows now.

I think I'm finally able to start racing myself again. Last few years were too focused staying with the fast guys. What's the point of going on scenic rides if all you remember is staring at someone's butt?