Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 PM

I prefer cantilever brakes for gravel (and CX) bikes

I am not a fan of disc brakes for gravel/ endurance bikes, and am therefore frustrated that all of the sweet new steel gravel frames (that fit wider tires) are disc only! I guess I am a retro-grouch because I prefer my CX bike with TRP RevoX cantilever brakes. I am a big guy 6'-4" and over 220 lbs, and never had trouble stopping myself with cantilever brakes while riding cyclocross or gravel. Disc brakes are great for mountain bikes, but are such a hassle to set up properly and are way heavier than canti's.

For a short time, I had a Soma Wolverine with a nice steel front fork; the only problem was whenever I turned the brake rotor would rub against the caliper. I guess the fork was too flexible for my weight. So I just put 40c tires on my 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones cyclocross bike, and call that my gravel bike. The Van Dessel has both canti studs as well as a disc mount on the frame. For awhile I thought about "upgrading" to discs, but I don't think I ever will. If its not broke, don't fix it, right?

I just wish that there was a Ritchey Swiss Cross (cantilever) equivalent steel frame that can fit 700x45c tires.

Last edited by Erik_A; 03-15-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Troll?

I also like Cantilever brakes

discs can be fantastic, but I prefer a simpler solution

However sometimes in the snow on a miserable commute I want them.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM

No trolling, just frustrated that all of the new steel gravel frames are disc only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Troll?

I also like Cantilever brakes

discs can be fantastic, but I prefer a simpler solution

However sometimes in the snow on a miserable commute I want them.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:31 PM

I guess you'll just have to get a custom
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Hooray for this post

I was frankly psyched to see the "i prefer cantilevers" post. I rode mountain bikes for several years up in Winter Park, CO, where a ride involved a 1-2 hour climb and then a screaming descent back to the valley floor. I did this for years on cantis and V-brakes, in all conditions, and I was fine. Riding gravel now (and road), I'm pleased as punch with 1) TRP Euro-X cantis on the Bridgestone, and 2) centerpulls on the Bilenky. I've ridden the crap out of the TRPs, including D2R2 and lots of stuff up in Putnam County, NY, and I've never wanted discs.

My brother, a pretty serious rider out in Seattle, just locked up both discs on his CAAD12 and slid through an intersection in the rain, no modulation in those gorramn things to speak of, and is thinking of going back to a canti-based system himself (after 9 years of MTB in Park City, UT, he knows a thing or 2 about mountain biking).

I'm sure discs are nice. But there's no way they're "necessary." And their ability to modulate speed is arguably equaled by rider on cantis who knows what (s)he is doing.

That is all.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
I just wish that there was a Ritchey Swiss Cross (cantilever) equivalent steel frame that can fit 700x45c tires.
Black Mountain Cycles?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM

There's really nothing (in the rim brake world) better than a well set up, top quality set of cantis (Suntour, Shimano post mount). Power, modulation and clearance that no other (rim) brake can match and not stuck using lame Kool Stop thinline pads. Unfortunately there are a lot of crappy cantis out there and set-up can be too challenging or time consuming for many.

I'm running Suntour XC-Pros with Yokozuna Scott-Mathauser pads and a Suntour Power Hanger (in front) on my Black Mountain. Leaves nothing to be desired even compared to my Paul Racer M and Mini Moto bikes (with thinline pads) and I'm 220-240# in an area with a lot of steep descents.

I just picked up a $14 set of NOS Suntour SE (self energizing) cantis for the rear just 'cause I've always wondered.

Last edited by donevwil; 03-15-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
There's really nothing (in the rim brake world) better than a well set up, top quality set of cantis. Power, modulation and clearance that no other (rim) brake can match. Unfortunately there are a lot of crappy cantis out there and set-up can be too challenging or time consuming for many. I'm running Suntour XC-Pros with Yokozuna Scott-Mathauser pads and a Suntour Power Hanger (in front) on my Black Mountain. Leaves nothing to be desired even compared to my Paul Racer M and Mini Moto bikes and I'm 220-240# in an area with a lot of steep descents.

I just picked up a $14 set of NOS Suntour SE (self energizing) cantis for the rear just 'cause I've always wondered.
we had those on our fisher gemini tandem. decent brakeset prior to the coming advances in v-brakes but I still do not get why anyone would still prefer canti to modern disc. clearly our riding styles and trails are different
Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 PM

I'm pleased w my canti bikes on gravel in all conditions. Eurox f/r on my nature boy ss and a mullet tektro/shorty6 combo on the poprad. ALL my buddies have gone to disc. I say meh. I may consider after all my wheelsets are cooked but for now I'm perfectly content
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM

I agree that for mountain biking, discs are best; I was just talking cyclocross and gravel/ endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
we had those on our fisher gemini tandem. decent brakeset prior to the coming advances in v-brakes but I still do not get why anyone would still prefer canti to modern disc. clearly our riding styles and trails are different
Old 03-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Yeah, like canti's too!

Oh yeah, get a Black Mountain!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
What I was thinking as I read some of these posts.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 PM
なんでやねん

I've been pretty happy overall with the cantis (Avid Shorty Ultimate, so I would hope so) on my Masi CXR. The two minor things that do bug me are, having to adjust them every time I switch from my gravel wheels to my wider-rimmed road wheels, and grinding up my rims in poor conditions. I'll probably go disc when I replace that bike (no rush) but the braking itself is completely fine.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanks very much for the advice, that might be just the ticket! I would need the 64cm size.

Quote:
So a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame is made from unbranded tubing, but based on reviews it matches(beats) the Swiss Cross for frame weight.
- The Swiss Cross is triple butted Logic II and a 55cm frame weighs 4.32#.
- The Black Mountain Cycles frame is heat treated double butted(.8/.5/.8) and a 56cm frame weighs 4.07#.

This assumes you dont get the 64cm frame. If you do, the tubing is .9/.6/.9 and was designed a hair thicker because we bigger folk kinda tend to weigh a bit more too.

Now the Swiss cross has a carbon fork so thatll obviously weigh less than the Black Mountain Cycles steel fork. But it could easily be swapped for a carbon, or keep the stock fork and enjoy the awesome Pacenti PBP fork crown.

So its a steel frame which weighs slightly less than the Swiss Cross, has canti studs, has room for a 50mm tire, and costs less than half of the Swiss Cross frameset.

He currently has the 64cm frame in shiny red, semigloss black, and pink.

Forgot to mention- the 64cm frames come with a 3rd bottle cage mount under the downtube, and also have fender and rack mounts both front and rear. Extremely versatile frame.

Here is a 65cm frame (not made anymore, but the current 64cm frame has the same effective measurements).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMC 65cm.jpg (118.3 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg BMC 65cm2.jpg (87.4 KB, 531 views)

Last edited by Erik_A; 03-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM

love me some canti love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
Disc brakes are great for mountain bikes, but are such a hassle to set up properly and are way heavier than canti's.

If its not broke, don't fix it, right?
these two sum up my viewpoints on cantis for the most part. I love the simplicity of them, they're lighter than discs and they work just fine, so why mess with 'em?

to be honest, I understand using them for cross and gravel though. it's not my preference, but I understand why some would; especially for pros that will be on top tier stuff and it's right at the UCI weight limit anyway. and they're running the same wheels with the same axle system, etc. it's road where I don't get it. but I digress...