Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 01:54 PM
ZhugeLiang

OT: The Age of Sensationalism

It's almost like we have to resort to using absolute, or controversial or hyperbole terms in our language these days in order to gain attention or be taken seriously. We see that here in the way pals title their thread, the guy who got elected in the highest office, in the tabloids, newspapers, and magazines (of course), in social media, everywhere!

What can't we just say what we meant and meant what we say?
Nobody ever speak plainly anymore.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM
The B!

Well... the noise has skyrocketed here in the information age. Guess you have to be really, really loud to be heard
Old 01-22-2017, 02:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
Well... the noise has skyrocketed here in the information age. Guess you have to be really, really loud to be heard
True dat.

I tried to get away from that noise by going for a bike ride...and sometimes my buddies would unknowingly bring that noise into the bike ride and I would be like..."hELLO!!....can we have a little bit of peace here?"

I don't need more drama. My life is a drama.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 PM

i remember when

your stem is too short was the worst ever. Alternative facts would suggest it is much longer.

Last edited by eddief; 01-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM

And everything is epic.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
It's almost like we have to resort to using absolute, or controversial or hyperbole terms in our language these days in order to gain attention or be taken seriously. We see that here in the way pals title their thread, the guy who got elected in the highest office, in the tabloids, newspapers, and magazines (of course), in social media, everywhere!

Nobody ever speak plainly anymore.
Only the sith deal in absolutes! I am slightly bored and looking for a good time so…

Was is the norsemen pjorn comment?

C'mon you have a sense of humor, and a good one at that, yet you seem to be pining for the fjords of yesteryear.

Kidin, cool thread and interesting topic. Sensationalism and hysteria are nothing new in society but it has reached levels unlike anything we have seen before. I think some of it can be chalked up to a lack of honor and decency in our society. It has been systematically eroded over the past 30 years if not more. Thank you Jerry Springer, Eminem and Salt-n-Pepa, you too Miley (a fine rendition of Jolene is all you get credit for!)! It was always under threat but the information age has truly bumped it up a notch or ten. We essentially live in the age of limitless information, which sadly leads to a curious troll like conscience to some degree or another. A most unfortunate step in our development, alas there is no movement forward without it, at least not at this stage of our collective degradation.

These little black rectangles we carry around with us everywhere, sleep with, eat with, shop with, bike with, scuba dive with, some asstronaughts probably take em to space and send naughty pics to Spok with etc etc, they are with us in our most private moments watching and recording everything, for “marketing” purposes of course oh and yes “safety” boogy woogy sheep boogy woogy. Pensioners have access to technology the stasi’s wet dreams could not even fathom and some of them know how to use it which is terrifying, not too mention private contractors and beyond, here probably the Romulans are jealous.

Everyone is curious about everyone else. Oooweee lemme check their facebook, instagram and twitter. No I cant be friends with them they like edamame and recumbents eeeewwwww. Restraint and discipline are present in only the precious few and even fewer display a capacity for compassion and understanding. When I tell people I don’t use facebook twitter or any of that I am looked upon like a unicorn. Most turn into Tim Curry’s devil from Legend (and I am left jumping on couches trying to prove my sanity). I must have something to hide, my horn dust probably cures rabies and gout, and my mane is the most potent controlled substance on earth. A rare being to be feared, prodded and de-horned. Well you can’t have my horn dammit, and stop pulling on my glittery tail, how bout a hoof to the forehead you freakish little fiends? Hows that for a mark of the beast? It’s the latest body mod fad.

These little Hal 10,000 now dictate our lives, an irreplaceable tool, a most insidious opiate, a tool so powerful and sinister it is hard for your average person to contemplate its vast reach let alone grasp the ramifications of trusting and using it. The effect that it is having on kids is catastrophic, yes there are small benefits but at what cost? Decency, honor and rational thought are very much endangered. They have been replaced by ruthless calculation, deceit and hysteria. So naturally it takes sensationalism to catch our attention and even more to hold it.

Re the sensationalism on this forum, in part I think it actually has subsided some, I for one am thankful the passive and masterful interjection of politics into comments and threads by established elite members to gauge and provoke unsuspecting wholly innocent newbz has almost vanished. I have a crazy theory… it could be a gender issue, seeing as how the vast majority of members appear to be men the following statement from Mrs. Banks must be put forth for deliberation…

“Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stoopid!”

The whole song… https://youtu.be/Kvk1NZDFvZU … is rather catchy.

Group think! It all male group thinks fault! Get a bunch of doods together interject a little sillyness and wallah the stoopidity will run amok,a fumbly bumbly race to the bottom will surely ensue. I am not a 100% on this theory but there it is, just putting it out there.

Consequently I must apologize for creating the whackin’ it thread. That was irresponsible of me, I failed to consider the ramifications.

Tangent filled totally sober rant over.

Last edited by CampyorBust; 01-22-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: I dun made a spellin' errah
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
And everything is epic.
You beat me to that.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:19 PM

No doubt. How about the various speeches at this weekend's protests? Man... (woman???) how vulgar can you get?

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
No doubt. How about the various speeches at this weekend's protests? Man... (woman???) how vulgar can you get?
Sigh- please no political statements. Thanks I don't want to have us go down this road.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Umm... Nah-too easy.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Sigh- please no political statements. Thanks I don't want to have us go down this road.
Sorry. I thought "the guy who got elected in the highest office" was an opening for commentary on both sides.

Seriously guys, if you don't see the sensationalism on both sides of the aisle, I really encourage you to open your eyes.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Umm... Nah-too easy.
Don't hold back, marciero. We are supposed to encourage open communication, right?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Seriously guys, if you don't see the sensationalism on both sides of the aisle, I really encourage you to open your eyes.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 PM