Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 AM

OT: so now they can kill your dog for barking

If this just pure cr@p.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-c...162939226.html
Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 AM

You're seriously butt hurt over this story? You were there at the time so you're in a position to judge, right?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
The article suggests that the Court inquired as to whether the LEO reasonably believed, given the specific factual circumstances, that the dog posed an imminent threat to the LEO's safety. The decision makes sense and the standard applied was proper despite the seemingly harsh result (or exaggeration by the dog owners or media outlet).
Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM

there's barking and then there's BARKING

Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM

^ Cousins!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 AM

Here's the case:
https://mgtvwten.files.wordpress.com...6a0293p-06.pdf
It's nice to know that the good police offficers of Battle Creek, MI like to brag about the number of animals they kill.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Funny thread.

Standard MO of drug dealers.

The dogs were not killed because they "just barked".

I live in Michigan (same State as the case in question) and I've called the police (and animal control) several times re our neighbors' Great Dane, which when outside, barks for 10 minutes straight, no matter what time of day. The beast has also attacked 2 smaller dogs and likes to charge at us in our backyard and slam into the fence.

The answer is always "there is nothing we can do".

It's probably hard to believe, but police are people too and many even own dogs!

Anyway, nice fake news.

Last edited by 93legendti; 12-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
Funny thread.

Standard MO of drug dealers.

The dogs were not killed because they "just barked".

From the case publication:
Officer Klein testified that after he shot and killed the first dog, he noticed the second dog standing about halfway across the basement.
The second dog was not moving towards the officers when they discovered her in the basement, but rather she was “just standing there,”
barking and was turned sideways to the officers. (Klein Dep. at 87.) Klein then fired the first two rounds at the second dog.

Quote:
Anyway, nice fake news.
How so?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Anyway, nice fake news.
I must be missing something cause I don't follow this. ^^^^

Are you saying the story is made up (which would be fake news) or that it's something you personally don't care about or find relevant, therefore > "fake news?"
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM
The B!

I haven't googled it, but it's yahoo news, and I see no reason to believe it's fake news. And I'm pretty sure (again without googling) that other courts have already made pretty much the same ruling. If cops are executing search warrants and feel threatened by aggressive dogs, they absolutely can and do shoot them.... Aaaaaaaaall the time.

It's especially sad considering how frequently LE serves to the wrong address.

Google it.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
From the case publication:
Officer Klein testified that after he shot and killed the first dog, he noticed the second dog standing about halfway across the basement.
The second dog was not moving towards the officers when they discovered her in the basement, but rather she was “just standing there,”
barking and was turned sideways to the officers. (Klein Dep. at 87.) Klein then fired the first two rounds at the second dog.

How so?
"They can kill your dog for barking"

I live in the same state and I can't even get the police to come out, let alone give a ticket. And they sure aren't going to shoot it.

They don't shoot barking dogs in Michigan just for barking.

Fake. As in not real. As in not news.

I read the opinion and the OP's title has no relation to the opinion or entire facts of the case.

The OP is as fake as saying "The police can't even defend themselves against a pack of wolves trying to eat them."

Have fun.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
"They can kill your dog for barking"

I live in the same state and I can't even get the police to come out, let alone give a ticket. And they sure aren't going to shoot it.

They don't shoot barking dogs in Michigan just for barking.

Fake. As in not real. As in not news.

I read the opinion and the OP's title has no relation to the opinion or entire facts of the case.

The OP is as fake as saying "The police can't even defend themselves against a pack of wolves trying to eat them."

Have fun.
Oh boy, time for some fun!!

Sounds like there's some confusion here we can clear up.
Ultra's OP is commenting on the news, his comments are not the news. The news is real, as in not fake news. The comments on the real news were never news to begin with so they can't be fake news.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:08 PM

A dog can be a weapon and the owner is the person controlling it. If LEO feels threatened by a dog and fear that the dog could be used as a weapon, then they'd be justified in shooting it. It's situational and depends on the dog and perceived threat. People seem quick to condemn police for their actions having never been in a similar situation. Police are people, they have families and a strong desire to go home in the same condition they left.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:23 PM

Not fake news. A few seconds with Google provides a bit more of the back story. The police were executing a warrant against a known gang member with a history of weapons and drug offenses (http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...nced_to_1.html). IMO the police officers were within their legal rights to shoot the dogs if they felt threatened. Lots of drug dealers keep aggressive dogs for security.

Greg
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM

From the opinion, a second officer on the scene said the first officer shot the first dog about one second after entering the house. The first officer said that dog moved a few inches toward him. The first dog fled to the basement. The second dog fled immediately to the basement. The first officer, while descending the basement stairs, saw the first dog at the bottom of the stairs, barking and facing him, so he shot it again. When the first officer entered the basement, he saw the second dog standing sideways to him, not moving but barking. He shot the second dog because he felt that he could not clear the basement with the dog there.
Closed Thread