Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Category VI

President Donald J Trump

Old 11-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Classics Fan

Exciting times, indeed.

Not surprised by the outcome.

This thread will probably be shut down, post haste. But while it's open, I'll give my opinion. Many people are unhappy with their situation. Real incomes have stagnated for big swaths of the population for decades. They have no real faith in their representation by the Washington establishment, and this was a chance to send a message that they expect better. If Bernie had been the nominee instead of Clinton, and was up against Jeb Bush, I bet Bernie would have won. The level of disaffection with Washington DC is immense.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
.... The level of disaffection with Washington DC is immense.
Yes - we can overanalyze things to death, but this seems to be the overwhelming sentiment that resulted in Bernie and Donald's popularity (and DJT's eventual election). I get it.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:01 AM

Level of disaffection with Washington is immense but at least some of that disaffection should have been directed at Republicans. It seems like most people blamed Obama for the Republican Congress' failings though.

I think some of the doom and gloom is probably overwrought. We still have our system of checks and balances. Trump will probably get to enact more of his policies then we might expect but there are still checks and balances.

I think most of us can probably find something we can be OK with in his platform even if a lot of it is pretty distasteful for a lot of us. As long as the economy doesn't tank and we all lose our jobs I am going to be fine with the tax cut that is expected to come. Some of his nationalist/isolationist foreign policy statements resonate a bit with me as well for some reason. It really depends on what he does though.. if he steps us back from being involved all over the world and sticking our neck out to try and fix every little issue that other countries should be fixing I am theoretically cool with that.

My perception is the democrats have been somewhat less petty about ridiculous investigations and obstructionism than the Republicans have been, I hope they continue that. I will be disappointed if the Democrats in Congress are as obnoxious under Trump as the Republicans have been under Obama. That stuff has got to change.

I am fine with "No more Clintons and no more Bushes in the white house" too. Voted for Bernie in the primaries and then voted somewhat less enthusiastically for Hillary yesterday. My wife was in the same boat. We were probably not actually that cool with some of Bernie's policies though, we were voting for the outside the same way so many Republicans voted for Trump as the outsider.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Randomhead

there are no checks and balances. They will pack the judiciary and control congress and the presidency. It's going to be a tough ride.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Member?

If the populace wanted change - why were so many incumbents voted back to the House and Senate?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 AM

can't wait to see Melania and Ivanka

in jeans in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Level of disaffection with Washington is immense but at least some of that disaffection should have been directed at Republicans. It seems like most people blamed Obama for the Republican Congress' failings though.

I think some of the doom and gloom is probably overwrought. We still have our system of checks and balances. Trump will probably get to enact more of his policies then we might expect but there are still checks and balances.

I think most of us can probably find something we can be OK with in his platform even if a lot of it is pretty distasteful for a lot of us. As long as the economy doesn't tank and we all lose our jobs I am going to be fine with the tax cut that is expected to come. Some of his nationalist/isolationist foreign policy statements resonate a bit with me as well for some reason. It really depends on what he does though.. if he steps us back from being involved all over the world and sticking our neck out to try and fix every little issue that other countries should be fixing I am theoretically cool with that.

My perception is the democrats have been somewhat less petty about ridiculous investigations and obstructionism than the Republicans have been, I hope they continue that. I will be disappointed if the Democrats in Congress are as obnoxious under Trump as the Republicans have been under Obama. That stuff has got to change.

I am fine with "No more Clintons and no more Bushes in the white house" too. Voted for Bernie in the primaries and then voted somewhat less enthusiastically for Hillary yesterday. My wife was in the same boat. We were probably not actually that cool with some of Bernie's policies though, we were voting for the outside the same way so many Republicans voted for Trump as the outsider.
I too was a Bernie supporter and I think he was the only dem that could have beaten any of the republicans but the powers that be in the DNC worked to assure that would never happen

You can't lay this solely at the republicans feet. Both parties are self serving and exist only to support the established party powers, see the treatment of Bernie. It's a mess because both parties are a mess. This vote was about everyday folks that are tired of politics as they are.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
in jeans in Michelle Obama's vegetable garden.
Ha! Not going to happen.

If the tables were turned this morning... I'm thankful not to have the image of Bill Clinton in his robe in the White House garden.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 AM

"Dewey Defeats Truman"
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM

I didn't think he had a chance.

Can't wait for my Facebook feed to go back to normal.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM

The level of disaffection with Washington is largely due to an ignorant public believing in what ever they want to hear and having many resources to feed them with it. I mean sure there are problems but nothing like what Alex Jones would have you believe, for example.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
If the populace wanted change - why were so many incumbents voted back to the House and Senate?
Not sure if this was rhetorical or not, but a couple thoughts.

1) Not sure which races were really up for grabs. Obviously, some are more in play than others.
2) The amount of money spent on these races is out of control. In 2010, total election spending for Colorado's 6th District was around 750,000. This year, more than 17 Million. Due to incumbent's ability to fundraise, they have a pretty big advantage.
3) I'm extremely bummed out that Russ Feingold (a true reformer) lost his senate bid.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 AM

Why is everyone so afraid to call a spade a spade.
This was based on nothing more (and nothing less) then hatred and racism.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Vendor

I'm terrified for many reasons.

Firstly the Supreme Court. Every single thing they've done to move the country into reality and the 21st century will be gone.
So my brother in law who just got married to his boyfriend of 7 years, that's gone.
If a woman has a miscarriage, jail time. Oh, and a funeral for the fetus.
Roe V Wade is gonna be gone.
No immigrants into the country. Unless of course it's to build another Trump building cheaply.
Guaranteed he won't release his taxes even tho it's law that presidents do.
The stock market is gonna take a massive hit which means everyone's 401k and retirements will take a hit.
His opponents, jailed.
The 14 women who've come forward over sexual assault charges, sued and then some.
All the cases against him, just watch they won't happen.

He is beyond corrupt now. Just wait till he's in office groping interns.

I work with people in Britain. They can't believe what happened over Brexit. They are beside themselves over this.
Closed Thread