Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 PM
cnighbor2

Has an Architect I worked in Seattle where the two 911 buildings that got destroyed were engineered by a Structural engineer at a local engineering firm I know that engineer and he designed the structural portion of the house I built on Mercer Island
the main reason they collapsed was due to there special type of construction
There was a TV show about it
Mainly the exterior was precast concrete panels place one on top of the other
The inside core that contained elevators, stairs elevator lobby toilets plus mechanical and electrical room was built of concrete
Between them holding the floors slab and keeping the exterior wall from topping over were open steel joists pinned to both faces
The pinning was a big cause of failure Once that single connection was broken it allowed the floor to drop down to the floor and to cause it too collapse also
which was repeated over and over
Normal construction is steel beams connected at both top and bottom flanges of the beam which would have held in place Bent but not sheared off like in the joists
Than has the exterior was just freestanding it had no ability to just stand there balanced in place It moved out of pump and than collapsed
therefore the whole building fell to the ground Other high rises aren't engineered this way and they could have held together but with a lot of damage

Last edited by cnighbor1; 09-11-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
Has an Architect I worked in Seattle where the two 911 buildings that got destroyed were engineered by a Structural engineer at a local engineering firm I know that engineer and he designed the structural portion of the house I built on Mercer Island
There was a TV show about it
Mainly the exterior was precast concrete panels place one on top of the other
The inside core that contained elevators, stairs elevator lobby toilets plus mechanical and electrical room was built of concrete
Between them holding the floors slab and keeping the exterior wall from topping over were open steel joists pinned to both faces
The pinning was a big cause of failure Once that single connection was broken it allowed the floor to drop down to the floor and to cause it too collapse also
which was repeated over and over
Normal construction is steel beams connected at both top and bottom flanges of the beam which would have held in place Bent but not sheared off like in the joists
Than has the exterior was just freestanding it had no ability to just stand there balanced in place It moved out of pump and than collapsed
therefore the whole building fell to the ground Other high rises aren't engineered this way and they could have held together but with a lot of damage
???

Sorry, not trying to be the english teacher..but not sure where this post is goin'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg das-keyboard-quote-key.jpg (13.5 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-12-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM

I, for one, am a big fan of punctuation.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Me too
Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
No. The main reason they collapsed is that fully-fueled airliners were flown into them at top speed.

The details of the construction methods may help us understand the subsequent chain of events, but they should distract from the fact that the structures encountered an event they were not designed to withstand (by at least one order of magnitude).
Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 AM
ergottWheels

Yes, but if engineers can learn from a tragedy and make even stronger structure I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with examining failure points even if they are as extreme as they were in this case.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM

i'm thinking there's about 108,927 other websites to find out info on this subject.

can we please take this convo elsewhere?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
No. The main reason they collapsed is that fully-fueled airliners were flown into them at top speed.
Not to nit pick but the Towers survived the impacts. What brought them down was the heat from however much Jet A1 fuel was burned in the fire the ensued.

The Towers, that day: All Americans, most New Yorkers and many who worked in the financial district all carry that day somewhere in corners of our minds we'd rather not revisit. Same I'm sure for the Pentagon and the families of those brave patriots on Flight 93.

We are a great nation, united. Let's not forget that.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 AM

I was hoping to see a picture of a Porsche.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I was hoping to see a picture of a Porsche.
Me, too.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Ex-Mr.President

The heat brought them down yes, but you also have to look at the harmonics the steel and other materials went through.

IN talking to a few engineers they came to the conclusion that the vibrations the building went through as well as the immense heat from the jet fuel caused too much of an "impact" the building wasn't meant to withstand.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
???

Sorry, not trying to be the english teacher..but not sure where this post is goin'...
I figured it out...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM

I think there are many people on this thread from NJ/NY/CT who know families that lost loved ones on 9/11. Whether President Obama signs or the House overrides the veto, I hope the JASTA bill becomes law. I want them to have the opportunity to sue the Saudi's into oblivion in US courts.

Obviously the recently inserted amendment allowing for a stay of action pending state negotiations can defang the bill, but at this point- one step at a time.

It took 5 years, but they finally modified the Zadroga Act to include 50 forms of Cancer treatment for 9/11 Responders and all their subsequent health issues.
We can have the Saudi's pay for that too.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Haha, didn't you see the one comma?! The OP is either a terrible writer or must have been pretty high as it is pretty incoherent. Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:30 AM

C'mon guys, is mocking the OP's post really necessary, especially given the subject matter and fact that he is long-time contributor? If you seek to challenge the premise of the post -- have at it. But harping on writing style is kind of mean IMHO.