Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM

Shoe Laces

Am I the only one confused by the current trend of lace up cycling shoes? Laces are the absolute worst way to hold cycling shoes on one's feet in my opinion. The last thing I want to worry about is having a lace come untied and wrapped in my chainrings. That's all.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

seems silly to me also. i have no interest in owning a cycling shoe with laces. i dont get it?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 PM

I really like laces on some shoes. I have a pair of D2 customs with velcro straps and since they are made to fit my feet the straps work perfectly.

But for me, on non-custom shoes, I really like laces as they allow me to very accurately wrap the upper around my oddly shaped and problematic feet. Yes laces can be a PITA but for some they are worth it - they are for me anyway.

dave
Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 PM

This website blew my mind because I had been tying shoelaces in a way that they were more likely to come untied until I read this info online: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I got a pair of the Giro lace ups from a fellow forumite here and they have a little band where you can slide the laces in so they don't flop around at all. That and a proper double knot utilizing the proper tying technique I learned from the website above means they don't come untied.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Count me in. There are many things about cycling that I think were better years ago.......but lace up shoes aren't one of them.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

My first road shoes were lace-up. Haven't looked back in a long time.

...but...

The Empire ACC reflective jobbies have caught my eye. Ditto with the flame orange VR-90s.

So, I may end up having not one, but TWO pair of lace-up shoes here before too long.

M
Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I really like laces on some shoes. I have a pair of D2 customs with velcro straps and since they are made to fit my feet the straps work perfectly.

But for me, on non-custom shoes, I really like laces as they allow me to very accurately wrap the upper around my oddly shaped and problematic feet. Yes laces can be a PITA but for some they are worth it - they are for me anyway.

dave
I suppose I am lucky to have pretty average feet, so Velcro, Boa, or ratchet buckles all work fine for me. While I can understand that some people like laces for a specific foot/fit issue, it seems to be a fashion trend at the moment. I don't like high waisted women's jeans either for that matter. I lived through that once already.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:11 PM

Oh, I realize this is a pointless thread, but I'm bored at work and one too many Instagram hipsters pushed my button.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM

Ha, not completely pointless.

I bought some shoes just last week and couldn't get over the idea of lacing up my shoes before every ride (multiple times a day for me due to the commute). Not really a question of "can I get 'em tight enough" more a feeling of "I don't want to mess with that." Straps/Buckles get plenty tight plenty quick for me.

The Empires look great, no argument there. To each their own.

Last edited by maximus; 11-17-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:26 PM

Laces sucks, we had nothing else tho so what I was doing was just using electrical tape over them in the really important races.

Then I went to sidi (the one that Fignon had), never fit right... then wen to time shoes and that was a revelation.

Non sense in laces, but I do think that boa system works eventhought I havent used ever. Cant pay for shoes with boa.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:27 PM

The Carnac Legend was a pretty popular shoe. It was one of the better fitting shoes for me.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Byron

To each his own. I've had both, currently riding with laces. I bought stretchy laces for the first time. That removes the need to loosen up the laces as the feet swell. They both work. I am careful tying the laces and these stretchy ones never come untied.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Lanterne rouge

I had a pair of Empires. The best thing I did was sell them. Didnt like laces at all. What a pain.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
This website blew my mind because I had been tying shoelaces in a way that they were more likely to come untied until I read this info online: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I got a pair of the Giro lace ups from a fellow forumite here and they have a little band where you can slide the laces in so they don't flop around at all. That and a proper double knot utilizing the proper tying technique I learned from the website above means they don't come untied.
A site dedicated to shoe laces - I love the Internet!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:10 PM

My AXO shoes lace up and they have never come undone on me. They also have a flap that closes with velcro that covers the laces. Great shoes, very comfortable, made of kangaroo hide and they last forever.