Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM

De Rosa Titanio 3.25

Fellow Paceliners,

Some advice needed.
I'm currently having the itch of getting myself the Titanio 3.25 (non-sloping, traditional geometry).

I'm always intrigued by titanium frames though never ridden or owned one, as such I can't comprehend how the ride quality of the Titanio would be like.
Most importantly, I'm hoping it won't be noodle lol..
(I weigh in at 135 lbs if that matters).

Let me know what you think.

PS: Just for comparison, my current ride includes a Colnago Master, President, C60, Cipo RB1k, Merckx Team SC, Time VXRS and a Viner EOM16.5
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_1 View Post
Fellow Paceliners,

Some advice needed.
I'm currently having the itch of getting myself the Titanio 3.25 (non-sloping, traditional geometry).

I'm always intrigued by titanium frames though never ridden or owned one, as such I can't comprehend how the ride quality of the Titanio would be like.
Most importantly, I'm hoping it won't be noodle lol..
(I weigh in at 135 lbs if that matters).

Let me know what you think.

PS: Just for comparison, my current ride includes a Colnago Master, President, C60, Cipo RB1k, Merckx Team SC, Time VXRS and a Viner EOM16.5

Do it, i really doubt you will find it noodly.
Ive ridden various ti bikes (like 10 or so) and perhaps 1 felt bit noodly but that was built with to much focus on light weight by relative unknown manufacturer.
Also had a master which i found abit of a noodle tbh.

At your weight and size i wouldent even think its a concearn at all unless you prefer very very stiff bikes?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 AM

I've got high expectations for that build
Old 09-06-2015, 09:40 AM

@tuscanyswe,

Thanks for sharing.
I've been looking but there isn't much reviews (hardly any in fact) on a Titanio 3.25.
Germany's TOUR did a test on it a few months back, "light, not very stiff frameset for medium weight rider at most" is the comment given.

@thirdgenbird,
fingers crossed, will take into consideration views from fellow Paceliners before making the final decision.

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Well I'm not one who give much for tour tests tbh. Feels like if its a german bike it has 50% increase in getting a good review.

But even so, you are a light rider and from what i recall ride quite small size frame?! Id be very surprised if you feel its a noodle. Id also be surprised if you felt it ride as stiff as say your c60 but is that really what you are looking for?

I feel most reviews these days are centered around stiffness. There are very few frames I've ridden where i felt damn i need a lot more stiffness. I do however find quite a few bikes rather boring and dead.

I was actually looking at the titanio a year back or so. I didn't find much info on it either and very little real world feedback. De rosa is a big company who have been doing ti way back when. I personally would be surprised if it were any less stiff than another modern ti bike unless they tuned it like that because they wanted a different characteristic.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 09-06-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM

@tuscanyswe,
Noted, thanks for the feedback.
Btw, mind sharing which manufacturer did you end up getting instead and any particular reason(s) for that?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
@tuscanyswe,
Noted, thanks for the feedback.
Btw, mind sharing which manufacturer did you end up getting instead and any particular reason(s) for that?
Yw.

Im always looking for new bikes (know the feeling?) and more often than not they are titanium. I didn't get a de rosa but i was considering it. In the end i just decided it was to much cash to splash on a new bike for something that would be so similar in both looks and likely ride quality and use as the moots compact i allrdy have. Perhaps it was around this time i also bought a used colnago eps and decided it was a better alternative price and variation wise. Don't really remember my reasoning as I'm bit spur of the moment kinda guy .)

I just think they are very nice looking which often is enough for my head to get going. I think it was also a very long delivery time if i recall correctly. That is not good (or really good depending on how much you value your money) if you were looking for the buy it now button in that moment of time.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 09-06-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Im always looking for new bikes (know the feeling?)

In fact I should be thinning the herd rather than getting another bike lol.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:01 AM
It An't Me Babe

I have always had a penchant for DeRosas and have owned 3: a Pro from the 70's, the first edition King and a mid-2000's Corum. I have also tried at various times to procure a custom geometry King and a Titanio (which at the time were only custom orders welded by Doriano) which do not come to fruition - DeRosa at times had changed North American distributors often which IMO caused too much complication with maintaining custom order continuity and accountability. With the long fulfillment cycle I was unwilling to assume the risk of a mistake with accountability attributed to none - so I canceled the orders. But I really like DeRosas.

I am still toying with the idea of a custom DeRosa but getting one built "long 'n low", as how I like 'em, has been met with tepid enthusiasm.

Stiffness in racing bike frames is one of these marketing-driven nebulous concepts that IMO are meaningless. Any rider can get accustomed to any bike if he has an open mind in experiencing such a bike in this way. At you racing weight this won't be an issue even if in your head you wanted to make it an issue.

You've already got great bikes. Add a DeRosa Titanio is a capstone to an enviable collection. There are very few Titanios to be seen in the wild and the Far East is very covetous of DeRosas.

I have only owned two titanium bikes - the Bianchi EV-Ti that is can be seen in the gallery here and my current Eriksen. I have no loss or reason to ever buy a carbon bike again except out of boredom for something new. But I have always gravitated towards Italian steel bikes anyway. Titanium is a close first cousin to steel that hints at the resonant frequency feel of carbon. Yes, a great material won't automatically make a great bike, see your builder for that, but it sure doesn't hurt.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
@thirdgenbird,
fingers crossed, will take into consideration views from fellow Paceliners before making the final decision.
I have a clear vision of what I would do. I think it would fit in around your place.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:42 AM

If you want the thing to ride like Italian carbon and look badazz

Get a Legend or a Crisp

If you want the thing to have a legacy of style and substance, get the De Rosa
Old 09-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Titanium frames have been the subject of endless discussion - and the vast majority of reviews have been positive. I've been riding a Dean ti for over twenty years (traditional geometry).

My understanding is that the De Rosas are made in Italy. I doubt you'd regret the purchase, but bear in mind that there are wonderful deals to be had on older frames.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:01 PM

@beeatnik,
Gotta agree with what you just said..

@fuzzalow,
If it happens, this is going to be my first ever Ti frameset, hopefully no disappointments lol..

@axel23,
do you mean used Ti frames?
I'm looking at the Ti framesets with oversize headtubes (1 1/8in) with a toptube between 51.5 to 52.5, hardly any available. Italian only.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2015, 12:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

All your bikes seem to be from big names why not go custom from a smaller us builder. Like a firefly or a eriksen or something like that. The derogatory is cool but the one of a kind smaller builder is much cooler imo
Old 09-06-2015, 12:43 PM

If you are looking at alternatives, i was also looking at this whilst ponderig a new ti bike, the passoni genesis.

It does not have the "coolness" or badass wow factor by those in the know as a crisp or an eriksen. Which imo ofc makes it the coolest .) Funny how that works..

Its just so damn pretty even tho the build pictured may not be my top choice.

Italian n custom ofc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.4 KB, 676 views)