Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:11 AM

Way, way OT: Ireland legalizes same sex marriage

The best thing that's ever happened to me was marrying my wonderful wife of 20 years, so seeing a segment of society no longer denied this same joy brings a tear to my eye.

There's hope for the world yet. And as we all know, better world = better bikes.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Not that much hope. Seems like that's a bigger issue to some than war, peace and the economy.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Not that much hope. Seems like that's a bigger issue to some than war, peace and the economy.
That's so awesome that you spend all your days worrying about and working on behalf of war, peace and the economy. Please tell us how you do that.

Yes, hope, progress, respect, equal rights. . . .endorsement of the family too.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbike View Post
That's so awesome that you spend all your days worrying about and working on behalf of war, peace and the economy. Please tell us how you do that.

Yes, hope, progress, respect, equal rights. . . .endorsement of the family too.
That's not what I call family. YMMV
Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbike View Post
Since you asked, I'm a 24 year retired vet with five combat tours as an infantryman. Not that it's relevant. You don't want people like me "pushing" my morals on you, and I don't want you pushing yours on me. And the moral fabric of society affects everyone. You're no different than me, you're just on the opposite side. We won't be changing each others minds, so there's no need to get arrogant and pissy towards me.

If the pro-homosexuals were really concerned they wouldn't be turning a blind eye to the group who is spreading across the middle east cutting the heads off homosexuals. They would be addressing the insane HIV, suicide and drug addiction rates within that community. More hate is spewed towards people like me. You have no interest in intellectual debate, the tactic is to just to label with the popular buzzword of the day and silence. Sad to see.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
That's not what I call family. YMMV
That's cool for you, fine by me. And were you in Ireland as citizen you could cast your one vote. Gad, I love democracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
You have no interest in intellectual debate, the tactic is to just to label with the popular buzzword of the day and silence. Sad to see.
I dunno who and what you are railing at. I got lotsa interest in intellectual debate, whattaya wanna debate?

And BTW it seems reasonable to me that in a complex world there's no other way than to address multiple priorities on a concurrent basis: war, peace, the economy, freer civil society. All good, right? And with the exception to war & peace, none are mutually exclusive, at least if not concerning the same patch of dirt, right? So whaddaya say we agree that we can walk and chew gum at the same time, huh?

See, in this conversation alone, I think progress was made, right here!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 AM

The forum is an avenue to express opinions and experience. Its different than a debate. "Mayhem" only stated his opinion, and I see nothing wrong with it. If you have an opinion, state it and move on. We don't need to bog down a thread with a debate which often ends up just throwing spitballs back and forth.

Like the outcome or not, at least Ireland employed the democratic proces and let their people decide on their culture. Too bad our country did not take this approach.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Vendor

I'm all for individual choice...as long as you're not mixing Campy and Shimano on the same bicycle.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Let's keep this civil everyone. Remember the rules of no individual attacks otherwise this is going to be locked.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I got lotsa interest in intellectual debate, whattaya wanna debate?
Well, I listed some things in my previous reply. The context being the hypocrisy of your side. But as has been said, this isn't the place for it. If I made a list of the 100 most important issues today, homosexual marriage would be number 100. That's kind of what I was getting at in my first reply, along with the "there's hope for this world yet" comment when homosexuals are being executed daily by ISIS and the left wants us to do nothing. It appears to be there's not hope for this world yet. It's getting worse. That's all.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 PM

I respect and enjoy the information and opinions expressed on this forum, so when I started this thread, I was genuinely curious about where people would be on the issue. Cyclists are atypical of the general population after all, so I wanted to open another window on what makes the people on this forum tick.

It's a given we're not all going to agree on this issue. We have to accept that going in. I'd love to hear your thoughts, but let's not attack each other.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I respect and enjoy the information and opinions expressed on this forum, so when I started this thread, I was genuinely curious about where people would be on the issue. Cyclists are atypical of the general population after all, so I wanted to open another window on what makes the people on this forum tick.

It's a given we're not all going to agree on this issue. We have to accept that going in. I'd love to hear your thoughts, but let's not attack each other.
If forum members like to discuss/debate OT, off topic, non-bicycle topics perhaps there should be a OT section... away from General Discussion.
I come to the Paceline to read, learn, and sometimes contribute to cycling conversation. Giving OT it's own area would let those not interested avoid it completely.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Okay that's enough.