Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Fellow cyclists who grew up in the Punk/Hardcore scene?

Wondering what fellow lovers of two wheels grew up listening to Punk/Hardcore music like I did. Where did you grow up and which bands influenced you the most? Off the subject of cycling, but it would be cool to share stories of who you saw play and where.

Tim
Old 05-09-2015, 12:25 PM

Our little skate crew were really into straightedge in the eighties. Minor Threat, YOT, Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Judge, Side By Side a bunch of other garage HC bands no one has ever heard of. Most of the shows we went to were in rented VFW's or sometimes a really crummy club would have all ages shows on Saturday afternoons.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Hank, sounds similar to my entrance in to HXC. I also, grew up on a skateboard. Started skated mid 80's. I met a guy name Glen from Chula Vista (San Diego, CA) who had moved to Gilbert, AZ summer of 89'. He skated and we crossed paths, so we immediately became friends. He was already Straight Edge and I had friends who were getting in to drugs. I didn't want to go down that road, so when Glen introduced me to SXE I was all in. A new identity for a young kid and I lanched on hard. He started showing me videos of him stage diving at Uniform Choice shows in CA and playing me all the great NYHC stuff. I was hooked. I know and love all the bands you mentioned.
Did you ever get in to collecting records?

Tim
Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 PM
slower than you

I saw the Ramones five times, once at CBGB. Does that count?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Mr. Pink that counts for a lot! What years? I was lucky enough to see a few CBGB's show before that legendary club went away.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Member?

The Clash at Red Rocks - 1984.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Vietomas, that's awesome. I'm a huge Clash fan. I often wish I would go back in time to different countries/cities to see all the bands I never got to see. I would have spent 3 years in England. 1977-80, so I could have seen The Clash in their hay day before they got too funky. I do like some of the dub step influence that they adopted, but it's not my favorite Clash material. I have a 9 week old baby at home. I named him Brixton. As in the Clash song Guns of Brixton. Not my favorite Clash song, but I don't think Death or Glory would have gone over well with mom. My mother is also from London near Brixton, so that helped convince my wife.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:59 PM

I can't honestly claim to be a punk guy, but I'll name drop for you. Good friend of mine was one of the original members of the Dead Kennedys. Went by 6025. Saw them play when no one knew who they were. In some small theater, I think. He quit before they went to the UK to make it big (too much drug use for his tastes), so was really just involved with the first record. I did spend an evening in Jello Biafra's apartment, once. He was, to be civil, an idiot.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I can't honestly claim to be a punk guy, but I'll name drop for you. Good friend of mine was one of the original members of the Dead Kennedys. Went by 6025. Saw them play when no one knew who they were. In some small theater, I think. He quit before they went to the UK to make it big (too much drug use for his tastes), so was really just involved with the first record. I did spend an evening in Jello Biafra's apartment, once. He was, to be civil, an idiot.
I'm shaking my balled up fists with giddy excitement! I LOVE Dead Kennedys! Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables is one of my favorite albums. 6025 had a total prog feel with his writing style.

...what a great thread. Thank you OP.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 05-09-2015, 03:20 PM

As a teenager my punk scene was The Rat in Boston, and Club Babyhead, AS220 and Fort Thunder in Providence. Lots of shows in basements, houses and warehouses, too. My tastes are all over the place so I saw a lot of shows... Punk, metal, HC, sXe... Met the Ramones in an alley outside of their show at the Strand in Providence in the early 90s. I'll never forget that.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:23 PM

Nighthawk you ever see SSD?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Nighthawk you ever see SSD?
No, had "The Kids" LP, but never saw them, they were before my time.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM

was not a skater, but front 242, joy division, ministry, skinny puppy were in my wheelhouse. still are.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:57 PM
It's Terminal.

younger, so didn't get to watch the truly formative good stuff, but for me
Fugazi, At the Drive-in, NOFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise, Stiff little fingers, Murder City Devils. Decidedly came into punk rock and skateboard culture in the early to mid 90's and it shaped my ethos.

add that with a good helping of industrial/hardcore NIN, KMFDM, Atari Teenage Riot
Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM

Does Kajagoogoo count?

Tags
punk rock hardcore music