Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Both the printed catalogue and the website indicate that Chorus is dual pivot rear only for 2015.
I went by what I read on the campy website

http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Comp.../chorus_brakes
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I pulled that pic from the campy web site.

And they say this:

The compounds used yield superior braking performance and the lightened pad holders make pad replacement fast and easy. But that's not all. Campagnolo® offers two options: alongside the classic front/rear brake differentiation for maximum lightness and braking modulation, there is also a dual pivot option available for the rear brake, for even more decisive and powerful braking. The choice is yours!
Of course I could be wrong but as of now there is no way I'm aware of (including OEM) to buy a single-pivot rear Chorus brake. Maybe that text is copy/paste from Record or last years brake (that one paragraph doesn't match further down the page where it's pretty clear it's a dual-pivot rear only), maybe the mono rear was dropped to save production costs, or maybe they plan on introducing one. Hopefully the latter because I really prefer the single pivot rear brake.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 PM

I think it just hasn't been updated. Some of the other parts took a while too.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Of course I could be wrong but as of now there is no way I'm aware of (including OEM) to buy a single-pivot rear Chorus brake. Maybe that text is copy/paste from Record or last years brake (that one paragraph doesn't match further down the page where it's pretty clear it's a dual-pivot rear only), maybe the mono rear was dropped to save production costs, or maybe they plan on introducing one. Hopefully the latter because I really prefer the single pivot rear brake.
I hear you. What they say on the web site and what makes it out into the wild is not always the same. I prefer the single pivot rear as well. It is perfect for small reductions of speed.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM

My 2015 Record group was made in Italy. Chorus cassette was too.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:19 AM
biker

Campagnolo carbon cranks are made in Romania, including Super Record ones.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That's not quite true with 2015.

The Chorus brakes aren't as nice as the Record / SR version. Record and SR have the option of a single-pivot rear brake (a bit more modulation - my personal preference) and both use ball bearings in the main pivot which seems to stay smoother for longer. Chorus is a dual-pivot rear brake with bushings.

2015 Chorus has a horrible barrel adjuster on the brakes. Both the barrel adjuster and it's locknut are threaded and it's nearly impossible to make adjustments as you ride. Record and SR use the older style system where you can adjust the brake by turning just the locknut. This might not be an issue for some people but if you like to fiddle or if you plan on getting neutral-support wheels then it could be an issue.

Tyre clearance with the 2015 brake is much better - on one fork with a 2014 brake a 25mm tyre rubbed the brake while climbing but the 2015 calliper clears 28s on the same rim.
BUT in spite of what you mention about the brakes, they stop just as well as Record/SR..A bushing vs teeny ball bearings in a brake caliper really means not much.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Campagnolo carbon cranks are made in Romania, including Super Record ones.

<photo snipped>
Umm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3323.JPG (96.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Umm...
Maybe made both places like shimano is Singapore and also Malaysia and China.

If like previous models, Chorus is foam filled arms, SR/Record are hollow. Same rings all across the board, but different bearings for each(Cult/USB/Steel). Maybe Chorus is Romania, others Italy.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Maybe made both places like shimano is Singapore and also Malaysia and China.

If like previous models, Chorus is foam filled arms, SR/Record are hollow. Same rings all across the board, but different bearings for each(Cult/USB/Steel). Maybe Chorus is Romania, others Italy.
This is my experience. Some Chorus bits in Romania (had some Chorus bits from Italy as well) with Record and SR from Italy.

Doesn't really matter all that much. As Campy points out, the Romania plant is just a short trip from Vicenza, and gives them better QC than an Asian facility. That's what they launched the Fulcrum brand for anyways...
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT in spite of what you mention about the brakes, they stop just as well as Record/SR..A bushing vs teeny ball bearings in a brake caliper really means not much.
When they're new I agree there isn't much difference but a few years of riding later and the higher-end bearing brakes seem to stay smoother (based off the 10 speed and early 11 speed brakes - obviously there isn't any data on how well the 2015 brakes will fare)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:08 PM

I've had older Campy brakes with bearings, and some with bushings. (have one of each on current bikes) I tend to keep my brakes clean and slightly lubed....with various spray lubes that don't attract dirt. And I can tell no difference between bushings and bearings. Frankly....I prefer bushings, brakes don't need bearings IMHO.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-29-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 PM

After my Centaur down shifter button finally wore our after 7 years of loyal service I thought it was a good time to move up to 2015 Chorus. I kept the same cranks and brakes but had some 11 speed rings so used them. I have been on it for 2 weeks now and there is a noticable difference in the feel of the hoods and shifting feels a lot more clunky in a more polished way.

I will run my other bike through winter (Australia) with 10 speed and probably convert it to be compatible.

As there is no new technology going into 10 speed I could see the point of continuing with it. The extra gear makes no difference other then a smaller increment change on my 12-27.

Cheers

Hainy
Old 12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Cat 6

Quote:

Tyre clearance with the 2015 brake is much better - on one fork with a 2014 brake a 25mm tyre rubbed the brake while climbing but the 2015 calliper clears 28s on the same rim.
I had this issue on the front on one of my bikes. the front tire, a Vittoria 25 Open Corsa Evo CX just barely rubbed the top pf the brake so I had to run 25 on the rear and 23 on the front. Are you certain that they changed the brake arms?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:01 PM

r_mutt, they offer tons more clearance. although they don't look as sleek (paint finish, clunkier arms) as the previous generation.

w/ 25s

anyway, the above are Chorus 2015. SR and Record are unchanged.