Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM

Tom Palermo-custom frame builder RIP

Baltimore, MD; 12/27/2014, Cyclist struck and killed by fleeing motorist, no charges filed to date.

This is the same neighborhood I was "doored" in September of this year. The police report from my accident came about a week after the accident and despite the officer indicating the driver was to blame the actual report blamed me for "not paying attention". Luckily for me I was not severely injured and did not have medical bills.

In this case the cyclist was killed! I know this road very well, it is the main thoroughfare in and out of Balt city, it is a school zone and the speed limit is 25 mph. The bike lane is in terrible disrepair, actually construction crews have been working on this road since last spring to redo infrastructure and repave. The road has not been paved or widened after 8 months of initiating construction. Cars routinely travel too close to cyclists, rarely yielding the 2'-3' required by law, and I'd willing to say that 999 cars out of 1000 go over the speed limit. I'd say the ave. speed by motorized vehicles is 40 mph. ···???
Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Very sad.

http://www.bikemore.net/blog/bikemor...thomas-palermo
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Across the hall is dark for 24 in his memory.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 AM

It's hard to say anything right now, but Tom was a great guy. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...227-story.html

More on this. At least (very least) the driver eventually came back. Horrible.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Everything is connected

I didn't realize the connection to Tom Palermo...thaks for the heads up and kind thoughts to his family. They say that the driver initially left the scene then returned. When you see a photo of her windshield, I don't know she could not have known that she struck something.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 AM

This is really, really sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I didn't realize the connection to Tom Palermo...thaks for the heads up and kind thoughts to his family. They say that the driver initially left the scene then returned. When you see a photo of her windshield, I don't know she could not have known that she struck something.
I knew that name sounded familiar. Was this THAT Tom Palermo? Jeez.

EDIT: I just went across the hall. Apparently so. Dark for 24hrs in Honor of Tom. RIP.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 AM
It An't Me Babe

This is terrible news and there can be no excuse for any motorist to leave the scene of an accident. The fact that she returned to the accident site does not absolve the original crime of leaving the scene.

I can hope for vehicular manslaughter charges to be files against the motorist. I can only offer heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Thomas Palermo.

This self delusion in motorists to inflate their own skills and capabilities as drivers is IMO at the core of the escalating danger levels imposed to all on public roadways and especially to cyclists. A driver will rationalize anything rather than face the reality that they simply suck as drivers. It is always somebody else's fault - a lame reasoning to value and protect a driver's self-esteem over the rights and safety of others. Face it, the easiest way to stay stupid is to never see or admit that a mistake was made. It makes the public roadway a roller derby of danger and incompetence.

This may sound like a rant but it isn't; it is reality. And the pity is someone like Thomas, and sadly, many more to come after him, will pay with their lives. And nothing will change which is terrible ignorance to tragedy. Because the average person is too immersed in their own self interest to ever place someone else's safety and rights on equal footing with their own - even if they kill someone in the process. Hey, nobody was to blame, it was an unfortunate accident. Right?

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. This has to be said by not just cyclists but by motorists too. We can be better. And we can all win in the process.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 AM

RIP Tom Palermo, custom framebuilder

Information is just coming out that Baltimore custom framebuilder Tom Palermo has recently died from injuries suffered in a hit-and-run. The Baltimore Police Department is investigating and thus far, no charges have been filed on the driver.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...227-story.html
Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Never knew Tom, but it's a sad day.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

Very sad.
My thoughts are with his loved ones and the driver involved.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM

RIP Tom Palermo

This is very sad news.

From all accounts he was a talented framebuilder and supporter of cycling, and was a Dad to at least one beautiful child:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TomPalermo.jpg (52.7 KB, 1183 views)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Tragic, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Satellite
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Very Sad.