Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 AM

sort of o/t: Grant's new book "Eat Bacon Don't Jog"

Grant Petersen has written a new book entitled "EAT BACON, DON'T JOG: get strong. get lean. no bull····"

I know that his opinions and writings, as well as the ethos of rivendell goes against the grain, and that talking about food, nutrition, diets, is at most political, at least; touchy. But, I think the things he says are important.

I haven't read the book yet, but plan to, and have no connection to Grant or Rivendell whatsoever.

" Eat Bacon, Don’t Jog shows why we should drop the carbs, embrace fat, and hang up our running shoes, with the latest science to back up its claims. "

I'm interested to see where he places cycling within his health paradigm. Also, how do I vegetarian?

His blog
http://eatbacondontjog.com/
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM

I really like Grant, but wish he'd leave off proselytizing the paleo gospel.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM

What's his argument against running?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Mr Dobalina

Can't wait for his book on "the golf swing"
Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 PM

He left out some important words: "Eat Bacon Don't Jog, Get Fat."

If jogging is bad for you, so is going for a bike ride.

Last edited by fiamme red; 11-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Mr Dobalina

Can't wait for videos of Branch Grantivians comparing the merits of Bacon vs Carrots by attempting to break both by slamming them on the edge of a kitchen table.

Last edited by firerescuefin; 11-06-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

This is my question. I ride largely because I don't like going to the gym
Old 11-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Having spent the last 10-15 years getting the bicycle industry to agree with him (room for bigger tires, room for fenders, 650b, riding on gravel, commuter bikes that aren't just crappy hybrids, racks, baskets, wool, apparently clipless pedals aren't actually better than flats, etc), I'm guessing he's decided his work is done and it's time to move on to regular people.

I'll say this for Grant- as long as you take his audience into consideration, he's usually right.

What I mean is, yeah, if you are a racer or if you have a BMI that's closer to being too low than to being obese, then yeah, Grant's stuff doesn't make a lot of sense and it's kinda stupid.

BUT, if you're an overweight guy who really just wants to be able to ride a bike, a bike that looks like a goddamned bike and won't break if you lean on it funny and you'd like to be able to ride it to work every now and then too and christ, whadya mean I have to wear special shorts, no way am I going out in public in those...

That's when Grant is absolutely awesome.

When I got heavy and according to the skinny racers/sales guys LBS "you should just get a hybrid, dude", Rivendell is what got me back on the road, got me to lose weight and got me able to ride one of those lightweight wonderbikes.

Grant is kind of awesome because he knows how to talk to people who are out of shape. He doesn't tell you about hill repeats and power meters. He says "Hey, the reason you can't ride is because that bike isn't designed for real people" and you say, "Hey, yeah, I'm a real person". And he shows you how to set up a bike that actually fits a "regular person"- handlebars higher than the saddle (he never says "this will keep your legs from hitting your gut every time you pedal" but that's what it prevents). And he says, "hey, regular people who aren't racing don't need to wear lycra," and that's a lot better than saying "you should wear lycra and just get over your body issues"... And you end up riding all the time because someone is telling you to concentrate on having fun instead of getting in shape and you end up getting in shape almost by accident.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:

What do people say, 80% of weight loss is in diet, the other 20% is in exercise?

I'd wager that a daily 3-4 miles of quick-paced walking and weight-bearing activities (i.e. doing gardening, chopping wood) would be enough exercise to keep weight off. You might not be athletic, but you'd probably look decent, provided you were eating a diet heavy in vegetables and protein.

I laugh when I hear riding buds talk about how they need to ride 200+ mile weeks to keep the weight off. Sure, that's because you're drinking four beers a night and having pizza for dinner, followed by a big bowl of ice cream ––·you're riding 200+ a week to sustain bad dietary habits. I'm not quite one to judge (i.e. I definitely enjoyed some ice cream last night), but let's be real here.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStonebarger View Post
What's his argument against running?
"Back when I started travelling no one had invented shoes yet, so you don't need any of these newfangled contraptions that are needlessly expensive and complicated. Unlike the reliability of bare feet, a lace might break and leave you stranded. Shoes are only necessary for racers, which is a very small percentage of travellers. We don't think you need to get dressed in a special get-up, like shoes, to simply go from one place to another. Instead we prefer the calm dignity of walking on callused feet hardened by a lifetime of stepping on thorns and sharp rocks."
Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-50 View Post
Having spent the last 10-15 years getting the bicycle industry to agree with him (room for bigger tires, room for fenders, 650b, riding on gravel, commuter bikes that aren't just crappy hybrids, racks, baskets, wool, apparently clipless pedals aren't actually better than flats, etc), I'm guessing he's decided his work is done and it's time to move on to regular people.

I'll say this for Grant- as long as you take his audience into consideration, he's usually right.

What I mean is, yeah, if you are a racer or if you have a BMI that's closer to being too low than to being obese, then yeah, Grant's stuff doesn't make a lot of sense and it's kinda stupid.

BUT, if you're an overweight guy who really just wants to be able to ride a bike, a bike that looks like a goddamned bike and won't break if you lean on it funny and you'd like to be able to ride it to work every now and then too and christ, whadya mean I have to wear special shorts, no way am I going out in public in those...

When I got heavy and according to the skinny racers/sales guys LBS "you should just get a hybrid, dude", Rivendell is what got me back on the road, got me to lose weight and got me able to ride one of those lightweight wonderbikes.

Grant is kind of awesome because he knows how to talk to people who are out of shape. He doesn't tell you about hill repeats and power meters. He says "Hey, the reason you can't ride is because that bike isn't designed for real people" and you say, "Hey, yeah, I'm a real person". And he shows you how to set up a bike that actually fits a "regular person"- handlebars higher than the saddle (he never says "this will keep your legs from hitting your gut every time you pedal" but that's what it prevents). And he says, "hey, regular people who aren't racing don't need to wear lycra," and that's a lot better than saying "you should wear lycra and just get over your body issues"... And you end up riding all the time because someone is telling you to concentrate on having fun instead of getting in shape and you end up getting in shape almost by accident.
buck-50, I like your style.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

while bacon is probably not the best choice, recent study(ies) have shown high fat/minimal carb diets lead to more lean muscle mass and less fat. and that was across the board regardless of exercise.

avocado, veggies, etc not tons of bacon.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Forward the Foundation

If GP makes you grind you teeth, here is a different book to get to
a similar place, low carb food guidance for endurance athletics.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Scienc.../dp/0983490716
Old 11-06-2014, 01:29 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-50 View Post

Well, it is a much much bigger market. Smart move. And, as you say in the end, it will do a whole lot more people a whole lot better than marketing to skinny, "serious" bikers. I like that, in a way. I never would have gotten into biking if I met 80% of the type As, and, I'm sorry, a****les I meet today on bikes around some group rides who are always, well, competing with everybody else. I was lucky enough to meet a strong biker who also knew how to have fun and be social on rides and afterwards, and loved to get people like me riding. Baby steps, you know? Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Btw, I love bacon. Bacon rules.

edit: best bacon in the world: http://www.oscarsadksmokehouse.com/meat/bacon

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 11-06-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:40 PM

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...light=matttuck