Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM
50 bpm

Ben Serotta advising Alchemy

From BRAIN:

Alchemy Bicycle Company is consulting with industry veteran Ben Serotta as it develops new retailer strategies. ... "I think I bring 40 years of lessons-learned — the good, the bad, the ugly — it's all experience," said Serotta.

More here.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
extremely tall

I don't know that he'd be at the top of my list if I were looking for business advice.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Captain?

Ben Serotta? Retail strategies? Good luck with that....
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM

if it were me I believe I would be consulting with Rustylion , not Ben
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I am kind of surprised at this. I thought Johs Huseby (formerly with Cannondale) was their sales and marketing guy.

They are a bike that always seems to be on my wish list. Just something about what they do and how they do it.

If they are looking to expand into a dealer network and go all corporate I am not sure this is the way I would go.....

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Deeply fried

years ago when i did a pitch at Kleiner Perkins CB, they wanted to know about massive failures and what was learned from them, more so than grand ambitions and small success stories....
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Vendor

Before this thread get out of hand with opinions, I want to put some facts, as I know them, into the discussion.
We've been an Alchemy dealer for about a year so I have a vested interest. Alchemy has always had a retail dealer network. They have grown in recent years and their bikes have won many awards so adding more quality bike shops is a part of their plans.
Johs Huseby left the company at the end of last year and Cody was promoted from within to fill the position. My understanding is that this was a mutual decision and had nothing to do with their new consultant.
I'm sure Alchemy did their due diligence, spoke with many people, including 2 former Serotta employees now working there, so Ben Serotta must have the skills they want.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Before this thread get out of hand with opinions, I want to put some facts, as I know them, into the discussion. . . . .
Awww, what's the fun of that?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM

I have some considerations about this, and think that perhaps this is not his strong point. But on the other hand, he did stay in the business for a long, long time and built one hell of a brand.

Dealer support is not one of the bike industry's strengths. Part of that is the nature of the business. Bike shops are notorious for being life style operations first and businesses second. I've never seen a manufacturer who really supported the LBS. Its mostly about who can get the money and keep some of it. But that's just retail at most any level.

Ultimately though, this is none of anyone's business but the parties involved. Good luck to them.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM

This is the first time I've heard of Alchemy bicycles. I thought Alchemy made hubs. Anyway, glancing over their catalog of bikes, the styles and features does not immediately seem to support their claim of "pushing the boundaries of development and engineering resulting in some of the worlds fastest and most progressive designs". At least not imho.

No sense in debating this however, as time will surely hold the answer. As far as using Ben for a consultant, well at one point in the past Serotta had a good line of bikes with some creative engineering, and a good dealer network with mostly excellent fitters. I do think Ben thinks "ahead" pretty well, in fact he is excellent in this regard....again imho. Its his execution that left much to be desired. As a consultant he might be very successful. Time will hold the answer to this as well. In the meantime, good luck to Alchemy. Its a very competitive market out there.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Vendor

In the vendor section, I started an Alchemy gallery of frames/bikes we delivered.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=142800
Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
This is the first time I've heard of Alchemy bicycles. I thought Alchemy made hubs.
Different companies.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Ben rocks he made great bikes for many years
I am sure has a lot of bike insight

Cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 02-20-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Alchemy could do better with the naming of its models, but that applies to many bike companies.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Post Mod-ern

I think Henry has it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Ultimately though, this is none of anyone's business but the parties involved. Good luck to them.
Ben could stand on the street corner handing out free $100 bills to every cyclist who passes and somebody here would still complain.

Good luck to all of them. End of story. Let's go watch the Olympics.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Closed Thread