Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Better than Eddy Merckx...

A year-end tribute to a complete rider who can truly do it all; sprint, climb, time-trial, win grand tours, track, MTB, one-day classics, cobblestones, mountain-top finish...AND not to mention, cyclocross! I guess in that aspect, she is superior to Eddy.

Please meet Miss Marianne Vos, a truly exceptional rider of her generation...No, wait! In ANY generation, both past, present...and quite possibly in the future.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Very impressive lady!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Its her world. We just live in it.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Well you have to count Jenny Longo and for sure Leontien van Moorsel aswell and cook from the UK, the last one retired because she got pissed off of the system. But yes, ms Vos is extraordinary.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 AM

She's a beauty in a lot of ways.

Check out the orange T-shirt in this photo over on Inner Ring:

http://inrng.com/2013/12/bike-and-coffeeshops/
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Both of my eyebrows are raised. Women's cycling is dirty with dope. They don't test for it, but a fraction of the time. Jeannie Longo is most likely the Grandmother of Women's Doping, and the elite females of today are very well on the same "program". PEDS, they ain't just for men.

'You Cannot Find What You do not Look For':

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ng#post1427094

'Vos and Others (Katie Compton) Highlight Lack of Anti-Doping in Women's Cycling':

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/51...s-cycling.aspx

"Australian time trial champion Amber Halliday and her compatriot Tiffany Cromwell are similarly dissatisfied. “I am surprised at the lack of testing in cycling, especially considering the sports reputation and the push for cleanliness,” said Halliday.

“As an international rower I was tested at least three times a year, with two of those being out of competition. I’ve been in cycling almost two years and can only recall being tested once with another blood test that I was told was to take some baseline levels.”

"it's probably less prevalent" which you offer regarding female doping, is the stuff of Pat McQuaid and the great unknown. Are less women doping? Perhaps. Are the ones that do, less wrong? And how the heck would we know...if they aren't testing women as often and strictly as they do men?

Olympian Nicole Cooke..."I ask if drugs are as prevalent in women's cycling as men's. She says she doesn't know, but she has certainly come across doping often enough. On her first Tour de France, she shared a house with other cyclists. When she opened the fridge she discovered it was full of medicines, which she promptly chucked out. Were the other women annoyed with her? She laughs, and says no they just pretended to be appalled and said they knew nothing about them. "A couple of weeks later, my team stopped paying the wages for me and my team mate, who had also said no. We were the only two riders who didn't get our wages for the rest of the year."

Marta Bastianelli - a World Champion in 2007, and the fenfluramine aka fen-phen she tested positive for, a drug allowing her to feel full, while not eating.

UCI World Time Trial Champion in 2008, Amber Neben tested positive in 2004 for 19-norandrotestosterone.

2004 bronze medal champion Maria Luisa Calle tested positive for heptaminol, returned her medal, but won an appeal (in 2001 at age 43 she won the Pan American TT).

Candian Geneviève Jeanson admitted to using EPO almost continuously since her teenage years. She won several World Cup races but tested positive for EPO in 2005.

Christina Alcade Huertanos tested positive for steroids in 2006.

Maria Moreno positive for EPO in 2008 China Olympics.

Cindy Olavarri, US National Team member in the early 80's, gobbled up anabolic steroids for about four years, not testing positive at races, until the 84' Olympics.

Tammy Jones, US Track Cyclist. She had more muscle than most men on this forum, a Balco steroid byproduct, and was caught by drug testers who knocked on her door...as she was shaving her face.

Rita Razmaite of Lithuania, positive for Bromantan in 1996.

Article from 1989...it's been in, and with women, longer, and more prevalent, than most know:

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05-...olympic-trials

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...exactly-how-is

Last edited by #campyuserftw; 12-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 AM

so then you would also know that Vos has been outspoken for the need for more testing in women's cycling.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody sunday View Post
so then you would also know that Vos has been outspoken for the need for more testing in women's cycling.
So did Lance.

I disbelieve.

Humor, folly, and irony:

http://road.cc/content/news/100193-j...2%AC11-million

Ms. Jeannie Longo = Lady Lance

The women are pretty on the bike. Same women are pretty in sneakers, at the Olympic Track & Field, and those aerobic ladies learned how to dope, PED, steroid-up, just like the men. Sneakers, two wheels, or in the water, pretty within their one-piece suits, swimming at the Olympics...females cheat to win just like they boys.

Last edited by #campyuserftw; 12-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Classics Fan

She is no doubt a great cyclist. But the women's field is no where near as deep as the men's field.

If you had similar sponsor dollars and prize money for the women, and the accompanying salaries, I'm sure you could attract more female talent, and you'd probably get something more like what we have today on the men's side... a high degree of specialization.

I've been told that in Eddy's time, perhaps like the women today, there was not as much specialization and depth in the pro field as there is today.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Much as I dislike Campyuser's dishing on MV, I have to say, yeah, it's possible. My personality is not one of deeply questioning the status quo, and I want to believe in the good story like most people. But as we've seen, oftentimes it's the people who are the thorns in the side of the "heroes" and aren't buying the Cinderella stories one bit who turn out to be right when all the facts are known in the end.

For now, though, I still give Vos all the kudos she seems to have earned. If, in the future, things come out to prove otherwise, I'm sure I won't be the only one being disappointed.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Everything is connected

Great cyclist no doubt....I'm really trying very hard to weigh the comparison to EM but it's not working for me W-pal.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
She is no doubt a great cyclist. But the women's field is no where near as deep as the men's field.

If you had similar sponsor dollars and prize money for the women, and the accompanying salaries, I'm sure you could attract more female talent, and you'd probably get something more like what we have today on the men's side... a high degree of specialization.

I've been told that in Eddy's time, perhaps like the women today, there was not as much specialization and depth in the pro field as there is today.
This is true and an issue for a lot of women's sports. My in-laws are die hard Uconn women's basketball fans. They happily watch every minute of them winning 98% their games by 50 points. Doesn't really do it for me.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
But the women's field is no where near as deep as the men's field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
...I'm really trying very hard to weigh the comparison to EM but it's not working for me

these
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Great cyclist, no doubt

But a comparison to Eddy Merckx doesn't do it for me.

-only 26 years old
-women's field, like it or not, not the talent nor depth as the men' pro field, then or now.
-has a long way to go to get over 30% wins of the races she entered, along with 11(I think) Grand Tour overall Wins including starting and finishing in the leaders jersey, keeping the entire race or winning all the 'jerseys', sprinter, climber, overall.

So, yes, great cyclist, best women cyclist of 'our' time.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 PM

She's doing stuff no one's done since Merckx, man or woman, and a throwback to that Merckx era when people actually raced, yanno, all the time and across disciplines.

I'd rather watch any race she's in than Froome et al.

Yeah, she's got a long way to go to pass Eddy, but she's on that kind of trajectory.