Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2013, 03:58 PM

rob ford - toronto mayor

"He is perhaps the most antibike politician in the world."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/201...4oI/story.html
Old 12-15-2013, 04:06 PM

This guy is a crackhead, alcoholic, abusive douche. I am embarrassed for him, of him and how he was elected is beyond me. DC had Marion Barry with his crack, is there no shame in politics? Ford ought to go to rehab, hop on a bike, lose 100 pounds, stfu and never be heard from again. I only wanna see hear/see him if there is a 'Strange Brew' sequel.

This:

"In 2007, he told the Toronto City Council that roads were designed for only buses, cars, and trucks. If cyclists got killed on roads, “it’s their own fault at the end of the day,” he said. He compared biking on a city street to swimming with sharks—“sooner or later you’re going to get bitten.” He once summarized his views in City Hall succinctly: “Cyclists are a pain in the ass to the motorists.”
Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #campyuserftw View Post
This guy is a crackhead, alcoholic, abusive douche. I am embarrassed for him, of him and how he was elected is beyond me. DC had Marion Barry with his crack, is there no shame in politics? Ford ought to go to rehab, hop on a bike, lose 100 pounds, stfu and never be heard from again. I only wanna see hear/see him if there is a 'Strange Brew' sequel.

This:

"In 2007, he told the Toronto City Council that roads were designed for only buses, cars, and trucks. If cyclists got killed on roads, “it’s their own fault at the end of the day,” he said. He compared biking on a city street to swimming with sharks—“sooner or later you’re going to get bitten.” He once summarized his views in City Hall succinctly: “Cyclists are a pain in the ass to the motorists.”
Do you live in Toronto?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Do you live in Toronto?
No. Do you?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
No. Do you?
Yes.

Your comments are reflective of a sincere lack of local knowledge.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Makes perfect sense I know so little of Toronto.

Enlighten us on the great Mayor of Toronto.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

http://news.yahoo.com/crack-smoking-...200319235.html
Old 12-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Wait! It makes sense now.

Are you Mayor Ford?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM

you will note I bolded this

<< I am embarrassed for him, of him and how he was elected is beyond me. >>

Perhaps you might want to explain how you think elections work.

I would not be the least bit surprised that if an election were held today, he would be re-elected.

But you would need to understand his election to understand that.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
you will note I bolded this

<< I am embarrassed for him, of him and how he was elected is beyond me. >>

Perhaps you might want to explain how you think elections work.

I would not be the least bit surprised that if an election were held today, he would be re-elected.

But you would need to understand his election to understand that.
Prove to me you are not Mayor Ford!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Yes.

Seriously. His comments are very close to the mark. Unless you are personal friends of Rob Ford anyone watching the news from anywhere in the world can know as much as you do about him even if he were living on your street. Why so harsh?

Speaking of local knowledge, this forum, is a very respectful place and polite discourse is the norm here. Quick, negative comments with no context, explanation or desire to inform and educate others are not part of the local landscape around here. If you feel that a persons comments are out of line then take the time to explain why, in a nice way. Quick hit and run sniping may be the norm on the rest of the inter-webs but there is a long and valuable history of this place being very different.

Last edited by Black Dog; 12-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Seriously. His comments are very close to the mark. Unless you are personal friends of Rob Ford anyone watching the news from anywhere in the world can know as much as you do about him even if he were living on your street. Why so harsh?
The thread was about Ford's remarks towards cyclists. Anarchist, goes wherever he goes, and let him have fun. This:

A). The Mayor of Toronto is a train wreck wrapped in bacon, coated in Crack.
B). The crack-smoking Mayor of Toronto is an embarrassment to himself, his City, and his country.
C). The Mayor of Toronto is as dumb as he is fat; to speak of cyclists above are words, yes, one would expect, from an alcoholic, crack-smoking douche.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 PM
needs adult supervision

if someone here_does_have local knowledge, i'd sincerely be interested in a POV on how rob ford was elected. his behavior seems to have gotten more extreme of late but historically, his actions and comments do seem like an unlikely route to a mayorship.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
The thread was about Ford's remarks towards cyclists. Anarchist, goes wherever he goes, and let him have fun. This:

A). The Mayor of Toronto is a train wreck wrapped in bacon, coated in Crack.
B). The crack-smoking Mayor of Toronto is an embarrassment to himself, his City, and his country.
C). The Mayor of Toronto is as dumb as he is fat; to speak of cyclists above are words, yes, one would expect, from an alcoholic, crack-smoking douche.
Your grade on the test: A) correct. B) correct C) correct

3/3! You can put this one on the fridge

He does not have any love for cyclists and has gone on these record many times saying as much.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Post Mod-ern

Same here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
if someone here_does_have local knowledge, i'd sincerely be interested in a POV on how rob ford was elected. his behavior seems to have gotten more extreme of late but historically, his actions and comments do seem like an unlikely route to a mayorship.
I don't think it takes a degree in poly sci to see this guy's profile is a bit, er, unusual for a successful local pol.--entirely apart from any partisan aspects. If he has always been this way and still got elected it must be a fascinating local landscape. If he was NOT a major league whackadoodle when elected and has just gone over the edge lately, then equally fascinating.

That being said, let's also keep a tight rein on our comments here. I am as fascinated by this story as anybody else, but technically it IS political and therefore not appropriate here.

Thanks.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats