Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Vendor

Ben Serotta's New Blog

http://benserotta.com/
Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Ben's Blog

The blog is well written, and it's good to read that he's formulating plans to survive and hopefully thrive.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
I wonder why now that he is turning to social media when he could not do it before. Strange. This should have been his public comment instead of trashing the folks that were trying to save Serotta.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

He should start a forum on his site.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Consultancy? Hmm... I do like the first two ideas.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
+1

That bit gave me quite a good laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Consultancy? Hmm... I do like the first two ideas.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Yea, that is humorous. Ben isn't much different than many of the 50-something crowd that have been dumped by their organization. They still think they know the best way to do things.

Ben has always had the ability to write well, just that the last few tumultuous years left little time for writing.....I suspect. But its nice to see him writing again and I hope it continues. As far as his long term prospects, I think he will focus more on the "fit" avenue and less on frame making. The frame making industry is very competitive now.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Yea, that is humorous. Ben isn't much different than many of the 50-something crowd that have been dumped by their organization. They still think they know the best way to do things.

Sometimes they do.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM

I wish him well. Just like on the bike...you fall down...you get back up.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post

Ben has always had the ability to write well, just that the last few tumultuous years left little time for writing.....I suspect. But its nice to see him writing again and I hope it continues. As far as his long term prospects, I think he will focus more on the "fit" avenue and less on frame making. The frame making industry is very competitive now.
If you are so smart now, just imagine how much smarter you'll be when you're 50. Bear in mind that there were a large number of forces working against him, such as not having complete control of the company, and some poor decision making, especially the ill fated merger.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM

As I approach the year in question I do find it amusing that my experiences have taught me one thing for sure - bad business decisions have nothing to do with age.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
If you are so smart now, just imagine how much smarter you'll be when you're 50. Bear in mind that there were a large number of forces working against him, such as not having complete control of the company, and some poor decision making, especially the ill fated merger.
Dude...the guy ran the company into the ground on three separate occassions. It just so happens that with this bail out, the company who bought Serotta (this time) decided they just wanted the name. If you want to know how to build a frame, Ben would be a great choice, if you want to know how to be successful in business and you hire Ben to mentor you, then I am afraid you didn't do your due diligence.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Dude...the guy ran the company into the ground on three separate occassions. It just so happens that with this bail out, the company who bought Serotta (this time) decided they just wanted the name. If you want to know how to build a frame, Ben would be a great choice, if you want to know how to be successful in business and you hire Ben to mentor you, then I am afraid you didn't do your due diligence.
There are a bunch of bike businesses that didn't last anywhere near as long as he did. I don't have a dog in the hunt but often times things are not as simple as they seem and very bright people do sometimes fail. Often times failure is the greatest educator.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Often times failure is the greatest educator.
Agreed. It's important to learn from the education.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Isn't the expression "those that can...do; those that can't...teach; those that can't do either...consult?"
Closed Thread