Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM

No more red and white frames from Richard Sachs!

I am excited to see what they have come up with!

http://www.richardsachs.com/site/201.../my-new-house/

Quote:
My New House

I’m closing a file that’s been open for more than three decades. The red and white thing, a paint scheme arrived at almost by accident when I had to match bicycles I was making for my racing team – match them to clothing supplied to us by Le Coq Sportif – a pattern that has had more tonal variations, ink color revisions, decal size and placement combinations, but has remained essentially red and white since 1982, is now part of my past.

I looked at what I had and considered the project done. It was perfect and mature. Mature in the sense that I could not imagining changing another detail and still feel content, or that I could go forward with a finer design. The current version has remained unchanged since 2009 and I had nothing left I wanted to give to it.

So what could be next? In the time it takes to hit ctrl alt del, my intention became clear. I wanted a wholesale departure from my past so that I could cross a line on one day and step into my future on the next. There was only one place I would trust for such a leap: House Industries.

I contacted Rich Roat, expressed a desire for a complete makeover of my identity program, and asked if he and his staff would guide me. The hash marks were simple: bury the red and white thing, lose as many connections to the “look” that I had worked with and around all these years, and emerge with something uniquely House Industries For Richard Sachs.

After some twenty months, House and I are walking up to that line and getting ready to cross it together. Rich, Bondé, Andy, and Ken have completed the re-skin. The Richard Sachs Cyclocross Team will start the season this week and debut the creations that House Industries has designed. Graphics. Fonts. Colors. Racing kits. Accessories. Maybe even stickers. Well, maybe not stickers.

It was 1982 when I began my racing sponsorship program, and the red and white thing came from that. I’ve managed teams every season since. That won’t change, but everything else you see will.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Maybe he should make carbon frames only too! Yeah this will be interesting. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the 'New Coke.'
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Let's hope the folks in line for a Sachs like the new look. Having said that I have seen a few Sachs bikes that were not the standard red/white. Maybe the new look is for his team bikes and individual customers can order whatever they like within reason.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Let's hope the folks in line for a Sachs like the new look. Having said that I have seen a few Sachs bikes that were not the standard red/white. Maybe the new look is for his team bikes and individual customers can order whatever they like within reason.
I'm expecting a different logo treatment... colors I'm sure would still be customer's choice...
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Love it.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Head to Ned

What's this Red/White thing he speaks of?

Mine's just RED w/yellow decals...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS011.jpg (50.9 KB, 955 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 09-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Two wheels good

I think this could be a cool development. As much as you guys drool over the look of a "proper Sachs" they do nothing for me. I appreciate the craftsmanship and I like a traditional looking bike but the red and white? Boring. A yellow logo on top of that? Wow, it's like my nightmare. I know, you don't have to buy one Robb... And I didn't. (For the record red, white and blue bikes also chap my ass, sorry Matt, I know you love your Kirk).

Now for Mr. Negative to be more positive. I doubt there is anyone cooler than House Industries to help with this re-branding. In my previous life as a photographer (who would work with designers) I would look at their catalogs of fonts and read them like a book. Their design aesthetic and attention to detail is superb and might just be the perfect pairing for the new Sachs.

I know there is a closed waiting list for his bikes so it isn't even an issue of buying one but I am very interested to see what they come up with.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Neon is the new black. Bring back 90's neon. Bring back multi-colored panels. Look to Pegoretti for a way to dress steel with liquid art.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
I am excited to see what they have come up with!

http://www.richardsachs.com/site/201.../my-new-house/
Seems Richard is refering to the team bikes only, correct?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
hoolered

I feel like hi-vis is something reserved for OS carbon-tubed bikes. I hope he doesn't lean towards new-age typography style ala Baum...woof.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Epic=No Smiles

As long as it's not Gulf blue/orange, I'm good with this.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM

I predict it will incorporate some styling cues from Ceelo Green.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
(For the record red, white and blue bikes also chap my ass, sorry Matt, I know you love your Kirk).
No offense taken. The paint on the Kirk was inspired by the first road bike I lusted after, which I saw on the campus of Cornell University, heading up Campus Rd, near Willard Strait in 2001.

So, that paint scheme was almost 12 years in the making.

That said, if/when I get my next custom, I'll bring you in to consult on the design.

What do you suggest?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
No offense taken. The paint on the Kirk was inspired by the first road bike I lusted after, which I saw on the campus of Cornell University, heading up Campus Rd, near Willard Strait in 2001.

So, that paint scheme was almost 12 years in the making.

That said, if/when I get my next custom, I'll bring you in to consult on the design.

What do you suggest?
Sitting on the steps of the Strait, it's not the bikes I'm looking at. And, as far as I know, Glenn Swan's bikes are invariably monochromatic, and no other (local built) bike is worthy of that kind of attention.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Sitting on the steps of the Strait, it's not the bikes I'm looking at. And, as far as I know, Glenn Swan's bikes are invariably monochromatic, and no other (local built) bike is worthy of that kind of attention.
hehe.

It was a Trek 5200. The USPS scheme, white with blue panels, red accents. I was in college, I didn't have a deep appreciation of bikes at that point. In fact, I had only ever ridden mountain bikes. Seeing that bike made me want to get into road cycling, which I did after I graduated and got a job. The 5200 in the colors I wanted was in my bike shop (it was a last year's model by the time I had graduated). I visited that bike many times, but could not afford it... so I got a steel Lemond. Not a bad choice, all things considered.

Funny story about Cornell. I visited in the summer between my junior and senior year of high school. I liked it a lot, and noticed that many of the girls were .... ummm.... unsupported. I went back and told my buddies in high school, that it was great! 4 people from my high school applied, 3 got accepted.

I transferred in after my freshman year at RPI.