Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Head to Ned

I actually look forward to Hawks each year (it's mostly downhill too!)

This year on my biggest tires ever for the ride (1.95), it was almost like cheat'n
Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Don't make the right on Taylor. Make the next right for Old Albany or go straight down 2 miles to big road and make a right.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check that out on the map.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 PM

My d2r2 machine with a nice vernier of western mass silt still on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.7 KB, 350 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Oh, crap, how do you rotate a pic?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Another try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.7 KB, 352 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I've done the ride five times and each time I am thinking about the descent of Hawks road during the entire ride. It is sketchy, but you can circumvent it pretty easily if you wish, however I dive into it head first each opportunity... just because it is there. On the other hand, I've seen folks with good descending skills work the descent with surgical aplomb, but I'm not one of them.
If you can pick your own line it can be a fun challenge. What made it more difficult for me this year was that it was getting pretty crowded on the way through that road. At one point someone passed me really close and forced me off my line. Would have gone done but had the reflexes to dismount quickly enough to avoid it.

Argh!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I actually look forward to Hawks each year (it's mostly downhill too!)

This year on my biggest tires ever for the ride (1.95), it was almost like cheat'n
Ah well, that's not really cheating.
You certainly had the right tires for Hawks Road. Definitely a mountain bike set up was best for that section with the conditions this year.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Another try.
Here you go.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-30-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Velotopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus20 View Post
Ah well, that's not really cheating.
You certainly had the right tires for Hawks Road. Definitely a mountain bike set up was best for that section with the conditions this year.
Sure was.

FormulaSaab (Stefan) and I (Chris) would up doing a choose-your-own-adventure style D2R2 this year. We did the first half of the 100k, intending to just finish that, but then hopped over with some teammates to do the second half of the 180k because we were feeling fresher than expected by lunch. It would up being about a 125k effort.

The only part I did not enjoy was the Hawks descent. I had file-tread 28's (calipered to only 27) on the Tomii road, and I got tossed into the ditch at one point. I may seek out the alternate route next year. Also, by that time the sun wasn't really penetrating the woods so it was kinda tough to see.

Other than that, it was an amazing way to do the day. Perfect weather, great friends, delicious food, and just the right amount of pain.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, I was a volunteer this year vs. a participant.

I manned the Patten Hill rest stop from 8AM-1PM.

Our Franklin Land Trust volunteer, Alain, was a veteran of this spot so she knew the little tricks that made this stop run smooth.

I arrived at my post way too early and since I was alone, snooped around to figure things out.

I have to say, the organizers clearly have the logistics down pretty darn good.
I show up and find a rental van parked in the driveway. It's stocked and there's a note on the door with explicit instructions. I could have left my brain home in Connecticut and it would have run fine.

There was a checklist inside the van listing every conceivable item you'd need, all of which was packed in a large Tupperware tub like it was a prefab kit, from a knife for the watermelon (which broke-oops!) to a first aid kit, a few spare tubes, floor pump, magic markers; you name it.

Water was lined up and ready to load onto the dispensers.

Heck; there was even a bag with D2R2 glasses and wrist bands for the volunteers!

I met all too briefly weisan, BumbleBeeDave, merckx, and some unnamed cyclist who remembered my Rock Lobster ATB. I apologize for not spending more social time but I had a duty to keep the water flowing and the snacks available and I took those duties seriously. It was very tempting to oogle the bikes and talk with the riders. One woman was using, get this, A MOUSETRAP for a cue sheet holder! The things you see at D2R2...

And believe you me, I was amazed at how fast the water jugs were being emptied.

I also bumped into Peter Weigle and saw his bike which was such a loud shade of pink, I had to wear earplugs just to look at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5585.jpg (39.4 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5589.jpg (42.6 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5592.jpg (40.5 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5586.jpg (66.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5591.jpg (41.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Imshi Cycles

Since everyone's talking about hawks road...I loved it sketchier/funner than previous years, perfect for the cx bikes.

Rode the 180k, great as always, camping was fun but cold and damp (as usual), next year ill finally remember to bring a proper pillow...

Woke up this morning and drove to Springfield for my first cx race of the season, somehow managed a 5th place finish

Just finished off a couple slices of Greek pizza and garlic knots.

Overall, an excellent weekend, thoroughly exhausted and looking forward to next year!

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 08-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM

D2r2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus SLX View Post
Sure was.

FormulaSaab (Stefan) and I (Chris) would up doing a choose-your-own-adventure style D2R2 this year. We did the first half of the 100k, intending to just finish that, but then hopped over with some teammates to do the second half of the 180k because we were feeling fresher than expected by lunch. It would up being about a 125k effort.

The only part I did not enjoy was the Hawks descent. I had file-tread 28's (calipered to only 27) on the Tomii road, and I got tossed into the ditch at one point. I may seek out the alternate route next year. Also, by that time the sun wasn't really penetrating the woods so it was kinda tough to see.

Other than that, it was an amazing way to do the day. Perfect weather, great friends, delicious food, and just the right amount of pain.
On the other hand, I enjoyed Hawks more than almost any other part of the ride! I was on 28's that measured about 29 when inflated to 80 psi.

I was right in front of eBaumann and we both got stuck in a rut for a while, found our way out, and had a good ol' blast down the hill.

Best rush I had all day.

Hawks was a hoot
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I followed a Specialized Enduro bike down Hawks. Stayed with him for a bit, then lost him, but stayed close enough to nip him by the bridge. Was taking some chances, to be sure.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM

D2r2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus20 View Post
What made it more difficult for me this year was that it was getting pretty crowded on the way through that road. At one point someone passed me really close and forced me off my
I saw a grand total of 8 riders on the 150k. No crowds there, unless you count the cows.

Instagram