Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybanana86 View Post
Glad they are o.k. I still have a bruise from last May when a lady ran a stop sign.

Lets talk about bike cameras!
Really? Did you notice that the 2 cyclists ran 2 stop signs? Not slow-roll thru but no attempt to slow/stop at all.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 PM

More to the story from today's paper:

"After the incident Wednesday, the suspect, Michael Medaglia, reported to the Oakland Police Department that his car had been stolen. A police alert was placed on the car.

Oakland police found the vehicle Friday morning and alerted the Berkeley Police Department. Berkeley police examined the vehicle and a further investigation led them to Jack London Inn, located at 444 Embarcadero West, in Oakland, as a possible home for Medaglia.

Officers contacted him late Friday afternoon at the inn. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of heroin, felon in possession of ammunition, violation of probation and felony hit-and-run."
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
More to the story from today's paper:

"After the incident Wednesday, the suspect, Michael Medaglia, reported to the Oakland Police Department that his car had been stolen. A police alert was placed on the car.

Oakland police found the vehicle Friday morning and alerted the Berkeley Police Department. Berkeley police examined the vehicle and a further investigation led them to Jack London Inn, located at 444 Embarcadero West, in Oakland, as a possible home for Medaglia.

Officers contacted him late Friday afternoon at the inn. He was arrested on suspicion of possession of heroin, felon in possession of ammunition, violation of probation and felony hit-and-run."
So he called to tell the police his car was stolen after he hit the two cyclists. This guy sounds more dangerous than I imagined.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.vader123 View Post
So he called to tell the police his car was stolen after he hit the two cyclists. This guy sounds more dangerous than I imagined.
That plus the heroin, ammunition, and felony convictions.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That plus the heroin, ammunition, and felony convictions.
Don't knock my hobbies, Mr. Judgmental.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? Did you notice that the 2 cyclists ran 2 stop signs? Not slow-roll thru but no attempt to slow/stop at all.
Yes I agree that was bad and we could start a whole other thread about stop signs. But it could have been anyone on that straight path getting hit and that shouldn't happen either
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Spend 10 minutes at any stop sign and if one car makes a FULL stop, I buy you a beer. Yes, a cyclist will blow through a stop, and a car will roll though a stop, but there is a difference in 2,000 lbs vs 18 lbs of plastic, and a cyclist has a much greater field of vision.

Both are breaking the law, both are in the wrong, and both should be ticketed.

....I guess it really was the cyclist's fault for getting hit by that car, because if they had slowed through the 2 stop signs, the car would have been further ahead by the time they reached the impact point and they never would have been hit.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Vendor

Arrest in Berkeley hit-run bike crash:

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2012/04/...n-video/?tsp=1
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

So what are the odds that the car owner is telling the truth and that the vehicle was indeed stolen? I would say practically nil.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Spend 10 minutes at any stop sign and if one car makes a FULL stop, I buy you a beer. Yes, a cyclist will blow through a stop, and a car will roll though a stop, but there is a difference in 2,000 lbs vs 18 lbs of plastic, and a cyclist has a much greater field of vision.

Both are breaking the law, both are in the wrong, and both should be ticketed.

....I guess it really was the cyclist's fault for getting hit by that car, because if they had slowed through the 2 stop signs, the car would have been further ahead by the time they reached the impact point and they never would have been hit.
Ya missed the point. I was responding to the person who said she got hit by a car than ran a stop sign...and these 2 ran 2 stop signs. It would have been nice if the cyclists would have at least kinda slowed down, like many cars do, rather than think they can just run the thing, as if as people onna bicycle, they don't need to follow the laws. Getting hit later had nothing to do with my post.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Point taken on the stop sign, but even is they slowed through the stop, drivers would still say that we disregard the law.

....now, lets discuss red lights
(I slow to ~ 2mph or a complete stop and run the light if there is no traffic)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM

stop signs

I know the letter of the law. Had a conversation with a rider yesterday about stop signs. My personal interpretation compares cycling to being a pedestrian. If I was walking, I would slow down enough to look both ways to see if it was safe to cross the street. That does not necessarily require me to actually STOP walking, especially in quiet neighborhoods. (the youtube vid is from such a neighborhood) And that is what I also do on my bike. And that can easily mean that many stop signs are dealt with by casually rolling through them as I believe I am smart enough to know when it is safe to do that.

Quote:

Point taken on the stop sign, but even is they slowed through the stop, drivers would still say that we disregard the law.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Just like you and others mention that cars drivers do also.
Don't like runners of stop lights either. Nobody is in that much of a hurry.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I know the letter of the law.
It takes me a lot longer to get rolling and get through an intersection then a car. Coming to a complete stop can force cars coming into the intersection after me to have to wait longer. Which they will find a lot more annoying then if they see me slow, look both ways and then accelerate before they roll to a stop.

Usually if I stop I wave the cars through even if I have right of way (providing they are not busy texting in which case they are in no hurry) as they will clear the intersection a lot faster then me.

If every one used common sense and courtesy along with respect for rules of the road for road going vehicles there would not be any problems, tension between various road users and a lot less accidents / incidents.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueda Tropical View Post
It takes me a lot longer to get rolling and get through an intersection then a car. Coming to a complete stop can force cars coming into the intersection after me to have to wait longer. Which they will find a lot more annoying then if they see me slow, look both ways and then accelerate before they roll to a stop.

Usually if I stop I wave the cars through even if I have right of way (providing they are not busy texting in which case they are in no hurry) as they will clear the intersection a lot faster then me.

If every one used common sense and courtesy along with respect for rules of the road for road going vehicles there would not be any problems, tension between various road users and a lot less accidents / incidents.
BINGO!
That's why it's important to make eye contact,most times they'll wave you through if not first come first through depending on body language, yes, cars have body language too. NO cars, no traffic I'll coast through. Even with no traffic I'll make a courtesy look-see before proceeding.
Red lights, nowadays I always stop.