Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Uvex Boss Race Road Helmet - Almost Overlooked Gem

My Bell Sweep does not fit well but I can use it as a Winter helmet worn over headbands and balaclavas.

The Giro Ionos fits better and is very highly ventilated but is somewhat bulky, the straps are not comfortable, and does not accomodate my new sunglasses frame well.

I looked at Lazer Genesis/Helium well as the Specialized Prevail but both are as expensive as the Ionos so I decided I would wait until the Ionos required replacement before spending that much money for a helmet. Have read many reviews about the Giro Aeon but have not seen it in person so I was going to give it a look before the next purchase.

Enter the Uvex Boss Sports Race. It lists for $120 but has many unique features and combines the best of many helmets. I was able to find a NOS 2010 model for $65 plus tax so the price was right.

First of all it fits my head. However I think it will fit most heads. The suspension system is like the Lazer top of the line models. The suspension system suspends from the helmet frame and completely cradles the head so it tightens around your whole head instead of jamming the back of your head against the front of the padded helmet frame. And it is also height adjustable with 7 different notches. It has a traditional adjustment knob that has a very smooth action and the 54-60 size range is broad and fits to size. The helmet fits well with nothing on my head, a headband, thin balaclava, and a thick balaclava. The height adjustment can be changed in a second to accomodate the various thickness of your headwear.

The chin strap push button system has 6 position adjustment capability that can be tightened when your chin strap gets slack in the summer or needs loosenig on a long climb and can be manipulated with one hand. It is the only one of it's kind and makes the Lazer Magic Buckle look a little silly as far as innovations go as the Uvex buckle has apparently been around a long time. After I got the strap adjusted for Summer wear I only had to actually adjust the strap to accomodate the thickest balaclava and then that was only for comfort as I could have worn it with no adjustment at all, it would have just been a little uncomfortably tight. The chin strap also has a sleeve that holds the excess strap that is normally retained by a rubber o-ring on other helmets and provides a very smooth, comfortable surface against your chin.

And the straps are really comfortable also and the retention system does not interfere with my sunglasses frame. It also has a built-in bug screen on the front vents.

The only thing that I am not sure about is the ventilation. A reviewer that seemed credible says that it is very well ventilated but not as well ventilated as the "tops of the tops" of other brands. The LBS owner that I purchased the Boss from says it ventilates better than his older model Sweep so that was enough for me to take a $65 chance. I really can't wait to wear this helmet on the road! If it is as comfortable as it appears it is and ventilates well, I may be contacting the LBS to get the one remaining in stock if it is still there in a few months.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Uvex are without question the most comfortable helmets for me - REI has them on clearance some times. The strap/retention system also works well and I love the ventilation.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM

It would have been nice if extra pads were included but that is a minor point for the price. Also either I am abnormally hard on pads or the Ionos pads are not very durable as I have needed several replacements in the last 3 Seasons.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O
Uvex are without question the most comfortable helmets for me - REI has them on clearance some times. The strap/retention system also works well and I love the ventilation.
On sale right now. 41% off.
http://www.rei.com/product/834483/uv...-2011-closeout
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Senior Shmoozer

I like the Uvex Boss.
If you are at the upper side of medium, get large, especially if you
have an afro or wear a hat under the helmet.
Ventilation is not an issue for me. Light enough too.

I Like the adjustment dial in back, mesh in the front vents to prevent bugs is
innovative but not for cool guys who like to park their sunglasses there.

Seems a refreshing change after years of pneumos

A great bargain right now.
VF

btw, this guy is not me. I don't wear my helmet at work. He is an escapee
from the hospital for the criminally insane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uvex.jpg (46.6 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by victoryfactory; 01-31-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM

Thumbs up

Based on this thread, I ordered one on Sunday and it arrived yesterday. Definitely the best "out of the box" fit for my head of any helmet that I have owned.

Thanks for sharing this.

Chuck
Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster12
Based on this thread, I ordered one on Sunday and it arrived yesterday. Definitely the best "out of the box" fit for my head of any helmet that I have owned.

Thanks for sharing this.

Chuck
This is great...I've been shilling Uvex since I first tried one three years ago and it's good to know others feel the same way. Their stuff is reasonably priced, comfortable and the little things make for a great helmet.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster12

Thanks for sharing this.

Chuck
Great, I am tempted to buy another one also but since I have helmets that fit okay for Winter and a backup Ionos for Summer I don't want to waste them.

What helmets have you worn that fit well and what helmets did not fit?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
VAV

A friend owns one and he swears by it. I am planning on getting one for myself. Ebay has some for 60 + 15 shipping. 75 is not a bad deal for that quality helmet
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM
bourbon!

Uvex Boss Race is the best helmet I've ever worn, bar none. I got mine for $75 a few years back. I haven't worn anything else since, and I've got 2 Limars, a Bell Alchera and an old Specialized King Cobra gathering dust in my garage. If you've got a Bell head as opposed to a Giro head, then the Uvex is worth a try.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Shmoozer

I swear I didn't do it.

Obviously, Jmoore escaped from the same institution that I was in....

VF
Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory
Obviously, Jmoore escaped from the same institution that I was in....

VF
They issued me my Uvex melon cover when I got committed.

Last edited by jmoore; 02-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.