Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM

2015 TDF Alp D'Huez Stage: Planning a Trip

I'm planning to visit France next July to view the TDF and climb Alp D'Huez, Col de La Madeline, and Col de la Croix de Fer. I plan to fly into Milan (Malpensa) and drive to France via Turin. I could fly into Lyon, but want to avoid a layover in Paris.

Although bringing my bike is a hassle, I cannot locate a convenient place to rent a decent bike.

Any input regarding the following is greatly appreciated: (i) is flying into Lyon a much better choice than driving across the Alps from Turin, (ii) is it easy to rent a decent bike in the French Alps when the TDF comes through, and (iii) are there restrictions on climbing Alp D'Huez on the days leading up to the TDF stage?

Thanks. EWO
Old 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Flying into Italy isn't efficient at all. Fly into Geneva or Lyon. When I fly to the states I do Geneva-London-Denver. Lots of connections from the states into London thus only one stop. Bus service from Geneva to Grenoble if you want. Good service, fast and easy.
There are shops in Bourg d'Oisans where you can rent a bike. I know nothing about them but do a search, you'll find the info. Do a search for 'bike rentals bourg d'oisans'; you'll get results en english. The only possible problem I can imagine for rentals is that they're all rented out when you want one.
Zero restrictions riding to Alpe d'Huez, except the race day and they kick in a couple hours maybe before the race arrives. I don't really know on that because you'd have to pay me a lot of money, and I mean a lot of money, to go up there that day.
Cheers
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Flying into Italy isn't efficient at all. Fly into Geneva or Lyon. When I fly to the states I do Geneva-London-Denver. Lots of connections from the states into London thus only one stop. Bus service from Geneva to Grenoble if you want. Good service, fast and easy.
There are shops in Bourg d'Oisans where you can rent a bike. I know nothing about them but do a search, you'll find the info. Do a search for 'bike rentals bourg d'oisans'; you'll get results en english. The only possible problem I can imagine for rentals is that they're all rented out when you want one.
Zero restrictions riding to Alpe d'Huez, except the race day and they kick in a couple hours maybe before the race arrives. I don't really know on that because you'd have to pay me a lot of money, and I mean a lot of money, to go up there that day.
Cheers
Ditto
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson124 View Post
(i) is flying into Lyon a much better choice than driving across the Alps from Turin, (ii) is it easy to rent a decent bike in the French Alps when the TDF comes through,
Driving from Turin to the French Alps would be a long trip. I think its at least 2-3 hours by fast train.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Velotel, is there one advantage to coming from Italy - seeing the great climbs in NW Italy and crossing through the Col d'Izoard? The driving would be difficult and long, but very scenic.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Cheers
I rode up Alpe d'Huez the morning of the race in 2001. I had a gas. We spent the day on the deck of a restaurant/bar up top. Watched on the tv as the race neared the climb. We went out to cheer and snap some photos, then slowly rode down amidst many pedestrians. The descent was a little precarious after all the beer I drank that day. It was a very fun day, and I don't particularly like crowds.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
Velotel, is there one advantage to coming from Italy - seeing the great climbs in NW Italy and crossing through the Col d'Izoard? The driving would be difficult and long, but very scenic.
Actually lots of advantages if you have the time. Great riding over there, especially in the Piedmonte region, the lake region, and in the opposite direction from France the Dolomites. Eating in my opinion if always better in Italy than France. Italian cities are wonderful, that's coming from someone who doesn't especially like cities. The roads are better in France. This year the weather has been much better in France.
The drive isn't that long. I think from Torino to Grenoble is maybe two and half, three hours, maybe even less for someone with a heavy foot. Slower by going over Col de Mont Cenis but that's a fine drive. As long as it's open I always go via the col instead of the tunnel. The tunnel sucks. Quite a bit longer via Briançon but again a fine drive. Even better via Bardonecchia but slower.
Just a question of time and desire. Flying into and out of Milano isn't nearly as easy as in and out of Lyon or Geneva. Actually it isn't the flying bit that's hard, it's the driving to and away from that's a bitch in Milano, or can be.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
I rode up Alpe d'Huez the morning of the race in 2001. I had a gas. We spent the day on the deck of a restaurant/bar up top. Watched on the tv as the race neared the climb. We went out to cheer and snap some photos, then slowly rode down amidst many pedestrians. The descent was a little precarious after all the beer I drank that day. It was a very fun day, and I don't particularly like crowds.
I can believe that but that was also 13 years ago. The crowds for the TdF have gotten crazier and crazier for the stages like Alpe d'Huez. I'd rather watch it live on the tele.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

We stayed at a hotel at the top of AdH in 2013 for when they climbed it twice. It would surprise me if you were able to rent a bike anywhere nearby. The stream of people riding up on the day before was...pretty much constant, you were either passing or being passed.

We flew to Toulouse, rented a car and drove to Carcassonne for a few days...then drove to Gap for the stage finish. Then drove to AdH, and it was already difficult to get there due to random road closures.

When we left, we drove to Grenoble and left the car there...took a train to Lyon, then to Paris. Lots of camper vans clogging up the roads.

I bought a breakaway style frame just for the trip, to avoid any hassle with renting. Was quite glad that I did this.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Deeply fried

^ agreed. Climbing up L'Alpe the day before and the day of the 2004 TT was a highlight of my biking life. Esp around dutch corner.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci View Post
^ agreed. Climbing up L'Alpe the day before and the day of the 2004 TT was a highlight of my biking life. Esp around dutch corner.
Yep, we rode up the day before as well. The Dutch corner is pretty crazy.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 PM

I was there a few years ago and brought a ritchey breakaway...I flew into Lyon and the drive was no problem...just have money for the tolls!

but alp d'huez is the mecca of cycling even when the TDF is not in town and there are places to rent a bike: http://www.cyclehuez.com/rates-enquiries/
http://www.prompt.cc/hire.asp
Old 09-20-2014, 01:18 PM
cnighbor2

fly into Zürich airport
Right below the main floor of the airport is the main train station with trains going everywhere.
Leave your bicycle still in its box at train station storage area if you need to go some place else first
Come back to Zürich Pick up bike and take train to were you need to be able to ride Alp D'Huez
A woman I meet on a tour did just that.
http://www.aukadia.net/alps/nfa.htm

http://www.aukadia.net/alps/huz1.htm

Alpe d'Huez - 1860 metres

photo
photo by: Francis
This famous climb is always full of Dutchmen. More Tours de France have been won and lost here than anywhere else, and the Dutch riders always pull out all the stops here.
It is one of the very hardest climbs in the Alps, with very little scenic reward.
Usually ridden as a cul-de-sac, a one-way ticket, it is in fact possible to continue through the ski-station and carry on climbing to the higher slopes around the Col de Poutran, or turn past the airfield and over the Col de Sarennes, 1999m, to join the west side of the Lautaret. Alternatively by leaving the main road at Huez it is possible to take a minor road to arrive at Allemont at the foot of the Glandon/Croix de Fer.

Last edited by cnighbor1; 09-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:09 PM

just to add that yes, getting to the alpe d'huez area is most directly done via lyon or geneva, BUT if you want to take a day or two there are plenty of cool things you could do on the way in from Milan/Turin. For example, there is a nice loop qround bardoneccia, les etages and montgenevre. There is also Mont Cenis as velotel said, Agnel, not to mention all the nice rides near Briancon.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM

I rode the Alp in 2006. It was a few days after the tour went through. Very cool. All the riders names where still painted on the road. Stayed in Briancon which was at the bottom of Col d'Izoard. Road d'Izoard, Alp d'Heuz, Lautaret and Galibier. All easy drives. Flew out of Lyon. Again, easy drive. I do remember at least one bicycle shop in Briancon and it rented bikes. Good luck. You will have a blast.