Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Mr Dobalina

OT: Adult ADHD

Curious if you've been diagnosed and what treatment you've sought and what you think has been successful as well as lessons learned.

One of my best childhood friends call me about it last week....basically saying "this is you". Did some reading and research last night and I meet 99% of the criteria. I'm not one with a victim complex, but am interested in taking a measured approach and making some headway.

Would really like to see this stay on topic if possible.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:32 AM

i would go talk a doctor about it.

i really thought i had ADHD a year ago and it turned out i just had crippling anxiety and depression. (General Anxiety Disorder)

i've been better recently with it and it always helps to go see someone.

i remember my doctor talking about it. "people always play dr.google".
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post

i really thought i had ADHD a year ago and it turned out i just had crippling anxiety and depression. (General Anxiety Disorder)

This is true.

However, I'm pretty convinced that the sheer complexity and attractiveness of all the choices we have in today's society leads to these types of symptoms. We're continually bombarded with, and have access to, absolutely everything one could imagine.
Our brains evolved in a simpler time.

"Look, something shiny..."
Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Brother coming from an educator this is the most over diagnosed problem in 'merica.

If a doctor puts you on something, which is totally fine...start with a low dosage and proceed from there. I have seen kids go from a bit excited to absolute numb bumps on a log.

Best of luck, but sometimes you can get by w/o meds.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post

sometimes you can get by w/o meds.
This would be the goal.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Besides medication , there have been a number of articles written on the benefits of endurance sports on mitigating the effects of ADHD... particularly
cycling.
A little factoid... some of the best WWII fighter pilots had ADD.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Shifty Member

Some months back I posted a similar thread to yours:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147090

Lots of good comments and advice in there. I ended up going the drug route and take it when I need it (weekdays). Overall quality of life is much better and it's nice to feel like I have my head on straight when approaching 40. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 AM

The drugs get all the focus and criticism but it's really about therapy and learning how to adjust behaviors to deal with it, both you and those around you.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Mr Dobalina

Thank you very much. It didn't occur to me to search thread titles on that subject.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Geoff, good for you for posting about this. But is this coming from you, or your friend? In other words, are you having difficulties/issues at work, or in your relationships with family and friends? Do you think you need to change something?

If so, you need to find a good counselor, something that takes a bit of work. Maybe--stretching here--it's like finding a new bike: You need to try a few before you know which one is right for you.

There's a lot of good information in this thread from April, to which I contributed:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147090

Treatment comes down to medication, talk therapy, and discipline. That last element is the biggest challenge: Getting enough sleep, exercising regularly (++ many 1s for cycling), trying to stay on task. I did talk therapy and medication for three years, but that was 10 years ago, and I probably need to back for a new script. But I feel that I could perform better at work and in the rest of my life if I pushed to get more sleep, was more rigorous about getting exercise daily or close to it, and was more structured in general. Medication is not required for everybody--it all depends on how your system responds to it, and which drug you're taking. Some people do quite well with it, some do not, and some don't need it all.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM

My son was diagnosed with this some twenty years ago. He's 29 now. I have a daughter who is 19, she has it to a much lessor degree. we've never had her see a doctor re this. I'm sure i have it as much of what they spoke about my son, i nodded, to myself, yep, me too.
All said, as others above have noted and my mother has often said, there is entirely too much "diagnosis" going on these days. In the past, you just called some kids more mischievous than others. Sometimes they outgrew it or learned to deal with it. Now days they want to label it, say it's not your fault and look for a drug or therapy. Sometimes i know it's helpful, often not and can cause more problems..i think the latter today is more common.
In my son's case, he works for me. With a bit of understanding and structure, he's doing ok. He'd be hardpressed to make it entirely on his own. We tried therapy and medication for several years, ended up hating all of it. It calmed him down but so altered his personality that he had none. He didn't like it at all. My daughter will have no problem. She just has do learn to deal with the fact that if not controlled she can lose focus on whats important around her.
I'd be very reticent to put labels on myself, and no medication unless i just couldn't function in society. There are always consequences.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Mr Dobalina

Thanks for the responses. A few of the sites I looked at, people were less than grounded. One of the things I really enjoy about this place.

Friend that brought this to my attention is a close childhood friend that I confide in. I spoke to him quite a bit a few months ago when we got together for our annual "guys trip" (4 childhood friends that have remained close). Part of it has always been my personality. It has gotten worse the last 5 years and has been a real source of frustration and even embarrassment for me. I am not looking for a quick fix nor am I am expecting a perfect outcome, but I know I am not operating where I need to be in pretty much every facet of my life. I am a realist that knows where I stand and where I should be performing. I'm not the Cat 5 that thinks he could win the TdF with the right coach and diet.

If there are some answers out there, then I'm obligated to the people in my life and myself to do the work.

Thanks again,

Geoff
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post

This sounds like me. It's a large part of why I started biking.

Last edited by Netdewt; 09-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
This sounds like me. It's a large part of why I started biking.
I completely agree. I am able to keep control of it for the most part, but tried the drug and counseling route because I was having trouble with all the balls I was juggling at work. I'm a project manager and am in charge of 10+ design & construction projects and the drugs help me to grab all those thoughts floating around and deal with them in a productive manner. My home life is large unchanged by the drugs because I take them sparingly and tackle life problems more holistically.

As for the above statement, biking is generally how I clear my head and spend some of my excess energies. My wife knows that it is very therapeutic for me because she has seen what happens when I go for long stretches without biking. So she encourages riding and supports whatever I need to keep doing it -- like bikes and time to tinker with them .

Try to find what works for you and make small changes at a time and this goes doubly for changes in your routine.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Yes, read up -- lots of literature can be accessed free via the NIH web site. If you continue to think you have a problem -- one that's a real issue at work and/or home -- see a doctor. A real doctor who will talk to you and then recommend some real testing before pointing you to a specific drug therapy as part of an overall treatment plan . . . or not. And will monitor you afterwards, if drugs are prescribed.

I know that there are well-founded concerns with over-dagnosis and mis-diagnosis, and I wouldn't jump into anything. I also know people -- kids and adults -- who've done very well with medication and other support, after really struggling without medication. If you want to know more particulars, feel free to PM me. But I think I'm really just recommending what others are -- if you think you have a serious problem, rather than just some inconvenient symptoms, get some background and a professional in-person consultation.